Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

We have known where out weakness is for ages. We’ve bagged £50m and spent it on a mixed bag.

At the start of the window if I’d been told I could swap White for a decent striker, I’d have taken that.

I’m not losing sleep over it. We’re Brighton. It’ll be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surely White would of played right back Saturday with no Lamptey available??? However we argue the defensive positions the strike force still remains not good enough. Last season was almost a free hit this season managers would of worked out how to play against us and we might just not be plucky Brighton created a load of chances and missed them all.

Hmm. It's hypothetical but Veltman RWB and White RCB was the default last season so it's not "surely". However, what I meant is that Lamptey would have negated Gray's pace. I was talking specifically (and hypothetically) about Gray.

As for other managers the Fat Spanish Waiter is a good one, Watford couldn't work us out at all and Dyche, who is no mug, saw Brighton do a "team against Brighton last season" on his well drilled Burnley team.

But yes - I don't think the strike force is nearly deep or varied enough.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just shows what a game of opinions it is. I looked at Gray on Saturday and saw exactly what we need. Quick, direct and unafraid. No passing back inside for him, just driving on the break and setting our pace-free CBs back on their heels.

White may well have done a better job on him but would have been beasted by Calvert-Lewin just as he was by Toney. They would not have played the same way if we had White in the squad but it might not have turned out well. The player in our squad who could have stopped him without sacrificing our centre backs is small, young and has hamstrings made of glass.

EDIT - in fact look at their goals on Sat. Quick break and a dribble in the box to win a pen. Whereas last season at theirs we conceded four by them basically bypassing White in the air and scoring with headers.

Saturday’s opener and several other near misses from Gray, brought back the pain in watching Montoya being destroyed in countless EPL games. An all too clear view from block D of the NS.

Dwight McNeil, Ryan Fraser, Nathan Bloody Redmond (several games) outpacing and outfoxing the hapless RB.

Then Lamptey and Veltman came along, RB solved.

But back to the future, we were so open on Saturday, so naive.

Hopefully both play a big part this season.

Yoda

English & European
We've got great cover for some positions but little, poor or none in others that should've been targeted but haven't.

They say you need a good understudy for every position (so really a 22 man squad). Lets look at it based on who would play in our 3-4-3.

GK: Sanchez - Steele
I'd be happy enough with Jason in goal for a few matches if Bob got injured the way he's performed in the cup last and so far this season.

LCB: Dunk - Burn
BDB is ample cover on that side.

CB: Duffy - ???
No real cover for Shane. :(

RCB: Webster - Veltman
No problems here.

LWB: March - Cucurella
Will probably be inter changing them no doubt.

RWB: Lampty - ???
Could maybe go with Alzate but square peg in round hole.

CM: Bissuma - Mwepu
Obvious choice and probably brought in in case someone came in with an offer we can't refuse.

CM: Lallana - Gross
This is were we are blessed as we have so many interchangeable players here with Lallana, Gross, Moder & Mac Allister.

LF: Trossard - Welbeck
Danny has played this role previously but would much prefer him more central. Could also go with March but then leaves the LWB slot uncovered if you want the 22.

CF: Maupay - Connelly
Would feel far less confident of us getting anything out of a game with this change. Struggled to get the best out of our first choice for most of last season.

RF: Gross - Mac Allister
Again, this is another of those flexible positions also with Lallana & Trossard.

So, one injury at the back leaves us on covering 3, no real cover for Lampty and no one really to pressurise the centre forwards place in the team.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Who is this mythical, goals-guaranteed striker that so many seem to be upset that we have missed out on?

I haven’t been following the transfer window that closely but has there been a striker signed by a PL club that was within our budget (fee + probable salary) and would have been open to a move to Brighton?

Seems some are getting bent out of shape about the club not signing a player that at present doesn’t exist :shrug:

I guarantee you Eduaord and Armstrong will score more goals than Connolly this season and almost certainly Welbeck as well. Origi is a better option than both. That’s three for you.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’m genuinely surprised so many Albion fans actually thought we were going to sign a forward. Clearly Gonzalez and Nunez were the chosen ones, our recruitment strategy is very specific, if we don’t get the primary targets we simply don’t do business, we were never going to buy an Nketiah or loan a Lookman just because we need them. It seems frustrating to us mere fans but there’s absolutely no way anyone at the club cannot see our debilitating lack of speed and our woeful goal return from our forwards.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
6 we kept Biss.

We didn’t sign that arsehat from Celtic.

We got 50 million for Ben White.

Pissed off about a lack of striking options yet again. Not going to do anything for struggling season ticket sales.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The thing I keep seeing a lot on this thread is the name “Lamptey”. I find it hugely worrying we rely for so much of our play and pace on one young man who is starting to look like a sick note.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I’m genuinely surprised so many Albion fans actually thought we were going to sign a forward. Clearly Gonzalez and Nunez were the chosen ones, our recruitment strategy is very specific, if we don’t get the primary targets we simply don’t do business, we were never going to buy an Nketiah or loan a Lookman just because we need them. It seems frustrating to us mere fans but there’s absolutely no way anyone at the club cannot see our debilitating lack of speed and our woeful goal return from our forwards.

Obviously we tried to get a better striker, but couldn't get it over the line. Shame, but there's no point in getting another striker whose similar to Maupay or Welbeck, we already have those players. And if course someone like Eduoard won't come to be third choice with us when he can be first choice at Palace.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I guarantee you Eduaord and Armstrong will score more goals than Connolly this season and almost certainly Welbeck as well. Origi is a better option than both. That’s three for you.

Yes, but is Origi available? He wouldn't be cheap....could we afford him? And would you pay in excess of £15m for Edouard (and - by all accounts - £70k p/w for the next 4 years)?

I'll give you Armstrong - he may turn out to be a decent signing :)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
OK, I'll re-phrase my question. How many of them finished in the top ten?

All of them, I just lost the post due to a glitch and had named the players 😐

I would argue if you look at last seasons teams placed 6th-13th, most of those teams have better forwards than us and greater depth IMO. (Newcastle was the only team I felt we were better than forward wise).

We have come from a lower starting point as per my earlier post and have not sufficiently strengthened in this area, and remain behind those teams IMO.

Fortunately, we have a better coach, but that’s a helluva job he’s got.

We needed to strengthen forward wise with immediate effect, sadly we haven’t, others need weren’t as great as ours and Villa even got Ings. So my point remains…..

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
The thing I keep seeing a lot on this thread is the name “Lamptey”. I find it hugely worrying we rely for so much of our play and pace on one young man who is starting to look like a sick note.

A couple of months ago I mentioned on another thread that I had seen a video on youtube by an ex player who was connected to the club. In it he said that Lamptety was never going to recover and that we knew he was a sicknote when we bought him but just took a punt. Hence the low price. I was told that I was talking rubbish. (I was only repeating what I had heard) I didnt remember who the person was who said it but I do now and Im pretty sure he is a regular poster on this forum.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes, but is Origi available? He wouldn't be cheap....could we afford him? And would you pay in excess of £15m for Edouard (and - by all accounts - £70k p/w for the next 4 years)?

I'll give you Armstrong - he may turn out to be a decent signing :)

Not sure re Armstrong, but take your point re Origi.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We've got great cover for some positions but little, poor or none in others that should've been targeted but haven't.

They say you need a good understudy for every position (so really a 22 man squad). Lets look at it based on who would play in our 3-4-3.

GK: Sanchez - Steele
I'd be happy enough with Jason in goal for a few matches if Bob got injured the way he's performed in the cup last and so far this season.

LCB: Dunk - Burn
BDB is ample cover on that side.

CB: Duffy - ???
No real cover for Shane. :(

RCB: Webster - Veltman
No problems here.

LWB: March - Cucurella
Will probably be inter changing them no doubt.

RWB: Lampty - ???
Could maybe go with Alzate but square peg in round hole.

CM: Bissuma - Mwepu
Obvious choice and probably brought in in case someone came in with an offer we can't refuse.

CM: Lallana - Gross
This is were we are blessed as we have so many interchangeable players here with Lallana, Gross, Moder & Mac Allister.

LF: Trossard - Welbeck
Danny has played this role previously but would much prefer him more central. Could also go with March but then leaves the LWB slot uncovered if you want the 22.

CF: Maupay - Connelly
Would feel far less confident of us getting anything out of a game with this change. Struggled to get the best out of our first choice for most of last season.

RF: Gross - Mac Allister
Again, this is another of those flexible positions also with Lallana & Trossard.

So, one injury at the back leaves us on covering 3, no real cover for Lampty and no one really to pressurise the centre forwards place in the team.

Does our best possible starting Xi look like one of these?

3-4-3
Sanchez
Webster Dunk Burn
Lampey Lallana Bissoouma Cucurella
Gross Maupay Trossard

Or

4-4-1-1

Sanchez
Veltman Dunk Webster Cucurella
Gross Lallana Bissouma March
Trossard
Maupay

And you could rotate almost anyone (I don't agree Duffy is our only middle CB) until you get to Gross, Trossard, Maupay. Let's hope those three are motivated.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A couple of months ago I mentioned on another thread that I had seen a video on youtube by an ex player who was connected to the club. In it he said that Lamptety was never going to recover and that we knew he was a sicknote when we bought him but just took a punt. Hence the low price. I was told that I was talking rubbish. (I was only repeating what I had heard) I didnt remember who the person was who said it but I do now and Im pretty sure he is a regular poster on this forum.

I think in those circumstances most people would remember who the player was ................................

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Obviously we tried to get a better striker, but couldn't get it over the line. Shame, but there's no point in getting another striker whose similar to Maupay or Welbeck, we already have those players. And if course someone like Eduoard won't come to be third choice with us when he can be first choice at Palace.

Out of interest, why do you automatically assume Edouard couldn’t replace Maupay but definitely replaces Benteke?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
With it looking like our striker options are now less than they were a week ago, I’m hoping we have recall options in place if needed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here