Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] how good are we, actually?

I agree that the high line has 'worked' in the sense we get a number of offsides in our favour...but a good opposition get loads of chances to practise breaking through it.. and they will.
We are often on the halfway line... it's madness, fast strikers can just run from their own half.
Indeed. While posting in the match thread once we concede the 1st I simply couldn't type 2 or 3 words before Chelsea were through on goal again! It happened around 6 times in about 10 mins and if it wasn't for offsides and hitting the post we could of conceded literally 6 goals in those 10 mins.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Although despite the scoreline, it flattered Villa. RDZ came out and apologised to the fans saying it was not a Brighton performance and we'll see the real Brighton back next week.
We didn't though, really. Dry humped by Roma, and RDZ sulked out the season. We're still a good team - the only team for me - but £200M better than last season? Hmmmm................................

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Indeed. While posting in the match thread once we concede the 1st I simply couldn't type 2 or 3 words before Chelsea were through on goal again! It happened around 6 times in about 10 mins and if it wasn't for offsides and hitting the post we could of conceded literally 6 goals in those 10 mins.
None of their goals came from the high press. None.
Two terrible passes, an individual error and a soft penalty. I would agree if all the goals came from through balls beating the high line, but they just didn't.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We didn't though, really. Dry humped by Roma, and RDZ sulked out the season. We're still a good team - the only team for me - but £200M better than last season? Hmmmm................................
Tactics clearly aren’t working we would be better playing on the break with our slow defensive line and a rookie DM.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It’s hard to judge us. We’ve had such bad luck with injuries already given we’re six games in.

Enciso, Ferguson, Estupinan, Lamptey March and Verbruggen started the season injured and are trying to find form and match fitness.

O’Riley, Wieffer, Gruda and Kadioglu have had their integration to the squad disrupted by injury.

Pedro, JPH, Adingra and Milner have picked up knocks, Veltman and Ayari have been ill.

Yesterday looked makeshift, in September!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It’s hard to judge us. We’ve had such bad luck with injuries already given we’re six games in.

Enciso, Ferguson, Estupinan, Lamptey March and Verbruggen started the season injured and are trying to find form and match fitness.

O’Riley, Wieffer, Gruda and Kadioglu have had their integration to the squad disrupted by injury.

Pedro, JPH, Adingra and Milner have picked up knocks, Veltman and Ayari have been ill.

I think that's stretching things a little to be honest.
For most of the injured players, we had back ups that had a full pre-season.
O'Riley and Weiffer's absence have allowed Baleba and Ayari to shine and given Hinshelwood a chance to play in the middle.

The summer rebuild has given us the chance to have the most competitive Premier league squad we've ever had.

In regards to luck...
We've had more than our fair share of good luck to counter-balance any bad.

4 points against United and Arsenal - thanks to Rice's stupidity and a freak offside goal.
We've had something like 6 goals against, ruled out for offside, (many marginal).

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022

Yup, and the "we've spent £200m" needs to be put into context...
Three were development players who are out on loan
One only joins in January
Two are injured
Two have been injured and making a slow return
Minteh was the only one involved in the pre season

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I think that's stretching things a little to be honest.
For most of the injured players, we had back ups that had a full pre-season.
O'Riley and Weiffer's absence have allowed Baleba and Ayari to shine and given Hinshelwood a chance to play in the middle.

The summer rebuild has given us the chance to have the most competitive Premier league squad we've ever had.

In regards to luck...

4 points against United and Arsenal - thanks to Rice's stupidity and a freak offside goal.
We've had something like 6 goals against, ruled out for offside, (many marginal).
I disagree.

There have been many enforced changes. Yes that’s given players opportunities, but we’re playing against sides who are largely at full strength in terms of quality. We’re way off.

His preferred formations are 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-3. Yesterday seemed to be a 4-3-3 with a fairly uninspiring midfield 3 who all are more suited to deep lying roles. We had Samuels on the bench, presumably because there were no other senior players available and Lamptey and Moder are fringe at best right now when others are fit, Ayari too. Everyone I spoke to before the game had accepted defeat as soon as they saw the match day squad.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I disagree.

There have been many enforced changes. Yes that’s given players opportunities, but we’re playing against sides who are largely at full strength in terms of quality. We’re way off.

His preferred formations are 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-3. Yesterday seemed to be a 4-3-3 with a fairly uninspiring midfield 3 who all are more suited to deep lying roles. We had Samuels on the bench, presumably because there were no other senior players available and Lamptey and Moder are fringe at best right now when others are fit, Ayari too. Everyone I spoke to before the game had accepted defeat as soon as they saw the match day squad.
So who are the back 3 he wants to play?
And what difference do you think that would have made?

We have been regularly turned over, with our high line in every game so far.
Everton were doing it for fun in the first 20 minutes.

I had accepted defeat when I saw their current form and pace up front.
The only way we could have got a result yesterday was giving Royball a go.

Injuries had nothing to do with it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hard to say, he’s always gone with a four but if he did you can guarantee JPVH would be one of them.

Tactics played a part, but injuries and lack of match sharpness was also a factor. Would anyone play a midfield three of Baleba, Hinshelwood and Weiffer by choice?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Hard to say, he’s always gone with a four but if he did you can guarantee JPVH would be one of them.

Tactics played a part, but injuries and lack of match sharpness was also a factor. Would anyone play a midfield three of Baleba, Hinshelwood and Weiffer by choice?
I'd start Ayari over Wieffer every day of the week right now and drop either Baleba or Hinsh into the deeper role. So its a no for me.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

A good offside trap that works more often than not isn’t “luck”.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

JPVH has played every game so far, but hasn't been able to prevent us from being opened up with the ball through/over the back line.
Chelsea would have had a field day against him too. They are very good when playing against a high line.

I strongly suspect Baleba, Weiffer will be our centre mids for the majority of the season.
Hinshelwood has been one of our stronger performers over the past few games.

I'm not entirely sure what midfield you think would have played if not for injuries.
I suspect O'Riley will be taking that third spot eventually, but as yet he is completely unproven.
I'm not sure your argument makes as much sense as you think it does.
A good offside trap that works more often than not isn’t “luck”.
Is standing on the halfway line a "trap" though?
BAck in my day an offside trap was stepping up in a line, to catch the player making a run.

Leaving a 40 yard foot race against top quality pacy forwards , running forwards onto a ball over the top, isn't exactly a trap.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
JPVH has played every game so far, but hasn't been able to prevent us from being opened up with the ball through/over the back line.
Chelsea would have had a field day against him too. They are very good when playing against a high line.

I strongly suspect Baleba, Weiffer will be our centre mids for the majority of the season.

I'm not entirely sure what midfield you think would have played if not for injuries.
I suspect O'Riley will be taking that third spot eventually, but as yet he is completely unproven.

BAck in my day an offside trap was stepping up in a line, to catch the player making a run.

Leaving a 40 yard foot race against top quality pacy forwards , running forwards onto a ball over the top, isn't exactly a trap.
It makes perfect sense to me. Four of the squad won’t be anywhere near a match day when everyone is fit and he won’t be playing that shape in midfield when we have better options available. I think the form of Minteh and Enciso forced his hand too.

We do agree on the high line though. Not sure if persisting with it was arrogance or naivety but it needs to change.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Aspinall/Cantor said it. Chelsea didn’t need to expertly unlock an offside trap. They just ran from their own half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here