Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How fussy are you with food ?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Shame if you’re in Hastings, as the fish from the net huts and Rye Bay scallops are unbeatable

What sort of Scandiwegian are you? My wife’s finlandssvensk grandmother wrote a few cooking books, like Karin’s Kokbok
View attachment 188962

and a book of dozens of ways to prepare herring, which I sadly don’t have a copy of

Fish and seafood - lovely!
Swedish. Can't say I read a lot of cooking books...

Did she write non-cooking books as well?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There's two things I wouldn't choose in a restaurant and that's raw coconut and tripe. I've eaten them both in dishes and don't mind them, I simply wouldn't choose them. Apart from them, any meat (great fan of Offal), sheep's brains, Steak a Cheval, sweetbreads, oysters, mussels, winkles, whelks, any veg or seafood whatsoever.

I've never tried and don't fancy Casu Martzu, but I'm pretty sure, I've been responsible for the larvae disappearing at the bottom of a bottle of Mezcal.

So, what would you not eat ?

I bet you'd like callos a la madrileño (the most popular Spanish tripe dish. My partner's father, a tripe hater, tried it and loved it. Until told what it was, after which he wouldn't eat any more :lolol:

A Manchester-based Spanish chef in the 70s is quoted as saying "English style tripe is like a woman who's just got out of bed in the morning. Spanish tripe is after she has done her hair and makeup". I'm not sure if you'd get away with such a quip these days but I know what he means.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Cucumber. Absolutely vile, pollutes everything it comes into contact with.
Liver / kidney. The texture is disgusting.
Sushi. Just the thought of it makes me GAG

I've eaten loads of cucumber today. First in a tzatziki then in a smashed cucumber salad with soy, sesame oil and chilli oil. The perfect accompaniment to spicy bbq'd chicken 🐔

Liver and kidneys are great too. I know what you mean about the texture of liver if it's badly cooked but not kidneys.

And as for sushi, presumably you're referring to the raw fish element. Well, that's delicious too.

In short Mr Easy, you're wrong. Very wrong :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ll try anything. The only thing I would not eat again is jellies eels. Eels are fine, jellied not so fine.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
No, she was a professional cook
Oh ok. I know there was a rather prominent finlandssvensk family called Nyberg with a bunch of writers and professors but maybe not the same?

Professional cook is better though. Food > Books.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
One of my food dislikes is a little strange. Raw tomato like you might have in a salad or sandwich makes me heave. Yet i enjoy it in almost every other cooked form like pasta sauces, soup, pizza, ketchup, bolognese.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've eaten loads of cucumber today. First in a tzatziki then in a smashed cucumber salad with soy, sesame oil and chilli oil. The perfect accompaniment to spicy bbq'd chicken 🐔

Liver and kidneys are great too. I know what you mean about the texture of liver if it's badly cooked but not kidneys.

And as for sushi, presumably you're referring to the raw fish element. Well, that's delicious too.

In short Mr Easy, you're wrong. Very wrong :lolol:
I recall buying a tuna sandwich at a service station once, ignorant of the fact that some cucumber was lurking within. One bite later, the offending snack was rapidly winging its way out of the window at 75mph onto the hard shoulder of the M42, as I frantically chugged down a Red Bull to evacuate the foul taste from my gaping maw.

My mum used to make a liver and bacon casserole. I would sooner eat my own feet than go anywhere near it. Vile.

And raw fish has no place on a plate in civilised society. It just doesn't. Just because you CAN eat something, doesn't mean you should.

In summary, I have never been more right sir.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Hmm. Tripe, yeah. Appropriate name as is horseshit AKA horseradish. Durian - anyone who's spent long in east Asia will be familiar with this fruit. Looks like shit, smells like shit, tastes like shit. What else? Jellyfish, Australian/NZ copies that will not be named of Marmite, mustard (awaits flaming), parsnips, swedes, saurkraut, kimchi, custard, most offal (another apt name).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh baked beans. What is wrong with people.
With little sausages on toast, some grated cheese and worcester sauce ?

An absolutely PERFECT can't-be-arsed evening meal from a tin. Or a cheap late night post-pub banquet, if the queue at the kebab shop was too long.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
With little sausages on toast, some grated cheese and worcester sauce ?

An absolutely PERFECT can't-be-arsed evening meal from a tin. Or a cheap late night post-pub banquet, if the queue at the kebab shop was too long.
I love tin food but just the smell of that insipid sweet glue they swim in makes we want to vomit.

I had breakfast in a café the other day and they served the beans in a jar on the side. I hate the smell so much I had to take them to the counter.

I hate the smell of baked beans more than mushrooms.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Parsnips
spinach.
beetroot. My dad used to cook it and the smell made me feel sick.
shellfish - oysters, mussels etc…. But love fish.
runny French cheeses like Brie and Camembert.
had a French sausage once which had sort of entrails in it - yuk…… but love liver, kidneys and the like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here