Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How fussy are you with food ?

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
I quite like basil. I like pine nuts. I like parmesan. Dont mind garlic. But pesto makes me want to vomit.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I'm not fussy about food, I'm more fussy about who's made it or who else has touched it.

If I'm presented with a buffet at a social gathering I'll often casually ask who has made which specific food items and the response I receive will then dictate what I choose and what I avoid. For the same reasons I'll also avoid the platters certain guests have had their fingers in.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
No red meat for me thanks. Or foie gras. Not very keen on sweet potatoes either. Will give most other things a try if they’re ethically sourced and not ultra processed 👍

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
- Nothing that flies or wants to fly
- Nothing that swims or wants to swim
- No ugly bottom crawling sea insects
- Dates, olives, raisins and all that kind of shit
May I recommend pizza?

Oh.

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
Only fish/seqfood as I can't eat any whatsoever anymore as I developed an allergy to it in my early 30's.
Shame if you’re in Hastings, as the fish from the net huts and Rye Bay scallops are unbeatable
- Nothing that swims or wants to swim

What sort of Scandiwegian are you? My wife’s finlandssvensk grandmother wrote a few cooking books, like Karin’s Kokbok
IMG_0234.jpeg

and a book of dozens of ways to prepare herring, which I sadly don’t have a copy of

Fish and seafood - lovely!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anything that’s got fennel in it.
Anying that’s got ochre in it.
And plantain.
And dates.

I don’t understand how they are a food. Grim.

Other than those, I’ll eat pretty much anything.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'll eat anything for the purpose of refuelling but if you ask me if a dish is actually good you'll discover I'm extremely particular.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was expecting a debate around prairie oysters and the like.

Instead we have a load of lightweights moaning about mushrooms and anchovies. And custard.

FFS.

Alright some classics from school dinners I love:

Semolina
Tapioca
Spam fritters
Spotted dick and custard

From holidays in the 60s
Winkles
Cockles
Mussels

Cheeses from adulthood
Bleu D'Auvergne
Stinking bishop
Vacherin

Fish from travels
All and any, raw or cooked

Things I'd avoid
The fish that the Inuit bury and let rot
Parts of animals that isn't skeletal muscle, skin, liver, kidney, blood or heart
Anything homo, primate, ursida, equida, delphinida, folivora, canis or felis.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The foods I detest or simply cannot swallow:
Goat’s cheese …. I detest the taste.
All strong or runny cheeses. Brie, Camembert, blue cheeses …. yuk.
Gooseberries
Rhubarb
Parsnips
Marmite

I'm with you there although I quite like a bit of very mild goats cheese with honey but I'd never buy it.

The exception is marmite which I love so much I buy the extra strong version.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The only think I've tried once and was utterly appaled by was Salmiakki, the Finnish salted liquorice. I'm not the greatest fan of the black stuff anyway but that thick layer of salt did nothing for me.

I believe the Swedes eat it too. Do you partake @Han Solo ?

The last, and only, time I had it was over 20 years ago so perhaps enough taste buds have died that it'd now be palatable. I doubt it though
The Dutch eat it too. It's horrific.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Happy with a slice of toast (providing it's not mouldy) and it can often get to 4pm before I realise I've forgotten lunch sometimes in the week.

Food just doesn't bother me at all. Sleep on the other hand - if I don't get 8/9 hours then I can struggle physically the next day.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Happy with a slice of toast (providing it's not mouldy) and it can often get to 4pm before I realise I've forgotten lunch sometimes in the week.

Food just doesn't bother me at all. Sleep on the other hand - if I don't get 8/9 hours then I can struggle physically the next day.

As my alter ego Danny Bakero might say, "Food. Fecking food. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive bastards".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here