Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how fast can you run 100m?

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
we've been challenged by our boss to achieve within 40% of any recognised olympic world record before the end of the year.

for example, the 100m record is 9.78 secs, so x 1.4 = 13.69 secs.

me and a mate from work are going to have a crack at it on monday in the carpark.

having measured it out a bit further than i had hoped. is 13.69 a realistic target for two slightly overweight financial advisers?

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Reasonable. I ran 14.6s at school and I was considered slow. I've got friends who've run it in less than 12secs before but this was all before we discovered beer!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
21 seconds was my quickest

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
No it's not realistic

My daughter was very good at athletics when she was a teenager and would have gone on but suffered a lot of shin splints

At 15 she could win races with 13 secs

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
I've run it in less than 12 but I bet I'd be over 13 now :down:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Be crafty - use the women's world (or olympic - there is a difference) records. They are recognised - and it gives you a little bit more scope.

Or be brave - take up the pole vault...

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
sorry, just to clarify its the world record in any event that is competed in at the olympic games.

not that the extra 0.052 seconds that it would have bought us would have made much difference.

using the women's record is an excellent idea.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
tedebear said:
when I did little athletics I used to run it in just on 13 seconds........

Bloody boasting Aussies :D

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Surely the 100m is your best bet since all the other track events would be a lot tougher.

ie 400m world record is about 44 seconds, so that would give you 1 minute and 2 secs - impossible.

800m record is 1 min 40 secs or so - 2mins 20 secs. Forget it !

What about the shot put - 18m so you would need 12.9m (18m / 1.4). That might be possible.

Don't use the women's record for the javelin as its further than the mens record !!

The other one is maybe the 4 X 100m record, just ensure you get Maurice Greene, Dwain Chambers and Carl Lewis to run the other legs !

World records can be seen here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/athletics/world_records/men/

Last edited:

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
How about the high jump? The mens world record is 2.45m. Allowing for the 40% that gives 1.75 to clear. (1.75 x 1.4 = 2.45)

1.75m is less than 6 foot. Is that possible?

Or maybe the long jump? Mens world record - 8.95m giving a target of 6.4m

Current world records

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Icy Gull said:
Bloody boasting Aussies :D

cheeky-smiley-022.gif

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
tedebear said:
when I did little athletics I used to run it in just on 13 seconds.... but that was before I had boobs....
[enter you own bloody joke here]

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
tedebear said:
when I did little athletics I used to run it in just on 13 seconds.... but that was before I had boobs....

I used to be able to do short burts of running quite fast too, but that was also before I had boobs!

Now running from the car to the house when its raining is the best i can manage and I would not break any records.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here