Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How far can you walk in a day?

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Whilst on the subject of walking, I've been looking at doing the South Downs Way. Is four to five days a tad optimistic? Looking at kipping in my bivi along the way, to save making way to B&Bs, etc.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I know you've already decided, but 50 miles in 10 hours would be superhuman.

I know a few super-humans, then! On the event I run, there is a section that is not far under 50 miles and the record for a team of three with combined age over 100 is under 8 hours!

The record for a team of three with no age restrictions over a distance of 80 miles is under 15 hours.

Doing 50 miles in one go over any length of time without a decent amount of training would be heavy. I walked 20 miles with my wife a couple of years ago when she was in training for a marathon and was seizing up towards the end, and I like to think of myself as fairly fit, although on the wrong side of 50.

Indeed. It's all about training for it when you get up to longer distances. Not many people can just go out and walk 20 miles without feeling a little knackered!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Whilst on the subject of walking, I've been looking at doing the South Downs Way. Is four to five days a tad optimistic? Looking at kipping in my bivi along the way, to save making way to B&Bs, etc.

Depends on the time of year, really. I've done it in three days with a tent, but have also done the original route (Buriton to Eastbourne) in under 16 hours!

Bivouacing is probably a good way forward. Finding sensible locations to pitch a tent was difficult at times when we did it - though a nice lady in Alfriston did offer us a cooked breakfast when we camped on the green there!

Overall, I would say 4 - 5 days would allow you to enjoy the scenery. This time of year, the days are short and the evenings will be boring, too. We drank too much when we did it between Christmas and New Year! One of the lads who did that 3 day trip with us commented "I didn't expect to be looking at my feet for three days". He was a squaddie at the time and thought it a bit of a route-march. Three days in the summer would be a doddle, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here