Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Evil are the Sun for publishing this??

well if the winner opted for a lucky dip, and the man behind him also usually opts for a lucky dip then i cant work out your thinking here , the man behind would obviously have won if the places were reversed.

Aren't all the Euro Millions Luck dip tickets?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
well if the winner opted for a lucky dip, and the man behind him also usually opts for a lucky dip then i cant work out your thinking here , the man behind would obviously have won if the places were reversed.

Depends how the random numbers are generated - if they are done by lottery HQ central computer, then unless the ticket was requested at exactly the same instant, then maybe someone elsewhere would have got in first.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

But if he was there first he may have bought his at a different time, therefore the hand of fate may not have rested on his shoulder.

The world is full of "what if"s. Don't let them drag you down.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
it doesn't say that the guy behind actually bought a lottery ticket though. He was probably just buying fags or a paper. That wouldn't make a 'story' though would it.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Depends if it is the individual machines that generate the number or they come from a central computer at lottery HQ.

If from somewhere central then it just happened that he was buying the ticket at the correct milisecond. If his transaction was quicker or longer then those numbers could have ended up anywhere.

If it is at the machine level then maybe, depends if you believe in fate or not.

Regardless I wouldn't be too happy with my picture appearing in The Sun telling me how unlucky I have been

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Bushy young man, hundreds maybe thousands of tickets were being purchased all over europe at that time and the numbers are generated randomly as I said and it would have had to have been asked for and put in the machine at the same exact time....

chances of that and what if the poor fellow had asked for the ticket and been first in line..... but had a stammer......

The if and buts dont work in real life.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Bushy young man, hundreds maybe thousands of tickets were being purchased all over europe at that time and the numbers are generated randomly as I said and it would have had to have been asked for and put in the machine at the same exact time....

chances of that and what if the poor fellow had asked for the ticket and been first in line..... but had a stammer......

The if and buts dont work in real life.
Of course they dont , but if he was buying a lottery ticket , do you honestly think that he wouldnt now be thinking . what if.........................?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
What a random, incorrect story. Aside from the fact that there is no mention the other bloke brought a ticket that is not how it works. What the story us suggesting is that no matter who had brought that ticket would have got the numbers that won. The machine is not sitting there with a series of numbers saying first person to buy will have these numbers, second person to buy will have these numbers etc etc. The why it does work is that when a lucky dip is requested (you can select numbers for Euro Millions as well), that machine at that points uses a very powerfully random number generator will produce those numbers.

The Sun are just trying to milk this story for all they can get.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
utterly, utterly stupid non-story.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Of course they dont , but if he was buying a lottery ticket , do you honestly think that he wouldnt now be thinking . what if.........................?

I submit yes he would and so would I, I for one would never buy a lottery ticket ever again as you will never, never, never, ever get as close to winning again in your life time. In the long run it would save you thousands if you played the lottery every week. So maybe in a way you are a winner.....

more food for thought....

The whole principle of the lottery is that it generates a massive profit for the company that runs it. It achieves this because most people who buy the tickets do not understand how probabilities and random numbers work. The Sun's story also depends on people not understanding random numbers. I say well done to everyone involved in perpetuating such ignorance. It all helps generate more profits for Camelot.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It is interesting to note that when you ask for multiple lines of lucky dip on the same ticket, you do get a repeitition of some numbers. If you ask for multiple lines on all separate tickets, you get all different number sequences. As previous posters have suggested this indicates that transactions are taking place every milli-second through Europe, so the next person in the queue will be hundreds or thousands of transactions away from the person in front.
Unlucky is not being the next in the queue. Unlucky is droppiung out of a syndicate a week before a big win. Unlucky is changing your numbers and then the originals come up or always sticking to the same numbers and not buying a ticket when your numbers come up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here