Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How enthusiatic are you about the Albion ?

How enthusiastic are you about watching the Albion

• Total voters

Oct 25, 2003
i lost interest a while ago, but that is mainly due to being miles away from brighton for most of the year

i'll be going to the away games that are near me, if i can be arsed

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm still interested and will go to 50 percent of the games, possibly more. But the kids tend to be a higher priority right now. When they're old enough to go to games then I'm sure I'll be more enthusiastic

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Have any of you ever thought the lure of the Albion, however crap they are, has something to do with the relationship with your father?

This might sound like a load of kack, but after my father, who hates football but pretended to enjoy it for my sake I expect, took me to my first Albion game for a league cup tie against Huddersfield in 1981 or so (we were 1-0 down from the first leg and Andy Ritchie scored a cracker as we went on to win 2-1 on aggregate) and I was hooked.

My father eventually moved to Milton Keynes (don't ask) and as a result I lost interest. I lived in London (mum and dad divorced even before he took me to the Goldstone) and I ended up going to watch just about every team in London with my school mates for years afterwards.

However my heart was always at the Goldstone and I eventually became a season ticket holder and went all over the place with some mates who are still involved with the A21 Supporters Club before moving to Japan after Notts County and that caaaaaaaaahhnt Neil Warnock denied us what would have been a place in today's Premiership. I still fly back from Tokyo for the occasional game.

But it is the warmth of my father's hug and the Wagon Wheels and Bovril while watching the games in the old east stand, and the major piss-ups in places like the Strawberry near Newcastle's ground (the game was cancelled) that followed years later that attached me to Brighton forever, regardless of how kack the footy was.

Let's face it, how many of you older (I'm 37) posters on here can say you are more in it for the footy than the away day crack. An Albion win is a bonus at the end of the day (sorry for the crap hackneyed phrasing).

I listen to almost every game (despite the eight hour time difference) on the radio and would be there all the time if I was back home in dear old Blighty and am still holding on to those memories of years gone by.

Is it just me being a sentimental fool? It's so much more than about the footy isn't it.

To belatedly answer the question, yes, I am still enthusiastic about the club and contribute in any way I can , even if it is for non-footy related reasons. Always will be.

By the way, I am hammered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Given up going but the main factor in that isn't the football or the players etc... I just can't justify the matchday prices at the moment... Despite what others may think I would actually go if I felt I would be getting value for money. (Yeah I know they do the odd cheap deal here and there but that's gash if you can't sit with your mates in the South Stand and I know the prices are high because blah blah blah and all that...).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting post JCF makes.

My dad took me and my brother since 1975 odd and when we were playing really dreadfully under barry LLoyd, he just one game said " enough is enough" and stopped going.

at this time, i was courting with the present Mrs DTG and I moved away from where he stood down to the bottom of the Chicken Run and used to pop up and see him at half time.

dad unfortunately died at 52 and I look back on the time we used to spend together at the albion and sometimes think of him stood on his own half way up the terrace with me and my brother down the bottom and I get very guilty pangs!

:(:(

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Can't say i'm overly excited about the game at the moment but will be going up to the ticket office on saturday morning and getting a ticket for the game, aswell as buying a Milwall one as won't beable to get up there during the week.

Weekends are all about going to the football :albion2:

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Once The Albion are in your blood there isn't any getting away from it. Think about how lucky you locals are to be stiil enjoying it. Or not as the case may be. Lovely post btw DTG!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
What else is there on Saturday Afternoons. Shopping, DYI, gardening, reading a book?. No thanks.

I do agree though that family and Fathers has a lot to do with it. I'd hate to think what my Dad or Dad in Law (alas both gone) would say if I said I can't be arsed to go anymore. Let's face it watching the Albion has never been that great. We have mainly been a bottom half of the league team. That's why the 80's were so good but a brief period in our not so illustrious history.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Looking forward to Sat... still enthusiastic, but it's the butterflies that the club should be most worried about... they need to make some decent signings and get some good results or attendances will get worse and worse...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I do agree though that family and Fathers has a lot to do with it. I'd hate to think what my Dad or Dad in Law (alas both gone) would say if I said I can't be arsed to go anymore. Let's face it watching the Albion has never been that great. We have mainly been a bottom half of the league team. That's why the 80's were so good but a brief period in our not so illustrious history.

I agree about the sentimentality of fathers. My Dad would turn in his grave if I gave up on the Albion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So only 34% of an Albion fanatic's website are really enthusiastic and we are three games into the season, that is worrying

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
stopped going for now to expensive but will restart when falmer opens up for business as will 3 others i know who have also stopped going

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here