Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how does this start to the season change things for you ?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Lower mid-table.

We can't get over optimistic. We had a lot of luck in our first two league games against relatively poor opposition. As was mentioned in another thread, Cardiff have a new managers and lost quite a few players.

All this stuff about us now being able to attract new players. Bollocks. We know that he has already identified the players he wants and a lot of players have moved about. We're also unlikely to go on a massive signing splurge now. So this point is overdone.

I actually think that being top 2 of the championship and having a new stadium playing the Gus way is quite an attractive proposition to an up and coming or experienced player unsure where to commit his future. I'm sure one or two have already commited theirs elsewhere (like Prutton at Swindon last season) only to wonder if they made the right decision.

Think we will make one or two more signings this season as well as Harley (perhaps in January) and having the opportunity to challenge / push for the Premiership would have to open up other possibilities for Gus to sign

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Staying up was my main hope for this season and then working from there.

if we reach mid table great, i dont think i can get my head round finishing in the top half or the playoffs.

im only just coping with playing championship football in a brand new stadium.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I said 11th and would have been really happy with that. This start has been pretty unbelievable as I'd predicted:

Donnie (w)
Pompey (d)
Cardiff (d) but not really expecting it.

This has obviously given most of us fans a massive boost and to some extent a possible re-adjustment to our expectations. I would be happy with play-offs but not sure over a 46 game season.

I wonder how the players feel? Did they expect this start? Has GP got them expecting victories? (silly question probably) What is their mindset? (GP - Genius).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I honestly think we COULD be a top 6 club this year but the real test of that will be on Saturday. We'll certainly know a lot more about our credentials after Blackpool. Anything can happen in the Championship and while we are a good side we have some massive challenges ahead. Either way on our day we are capable of beating anyone in this league, whether we can do it consistently enough remains to be seen. It's going to be one hell of an exciting season.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
On a side note, after Blackpool play us, their next match is away at Palace. It'll be interesting to see how CPFC cope with the same challenge.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Initially thought 13th, though happy just with survival.

Still think mid-table, but perhaps more likely 8th-12th, with an outside chance of a push for play-offs.

Definitely an element of emotional hedging, though. I just don't want to get my hopes up too high, and if we exceed expectations it will be all the more exciting!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Still very early doors and I would like to wait until the end of September when squads are more settled and some of the usual early season shock results are out of the way. For now I will remain optimistic of a top half finish and maybe a push for the play-offs.

That said I went to bed last night dreaming of glory and wondering whether the bank account could manage a few extra games.

Last edited:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Was hopeful of a midtable finish this season, and am still expecting that come May. However the start we have made has got me wondering what we might be capable of this year, but I am holding back on upping my expectations just yet. Way too early to read too much into form and the rest of the season. Definitely exciting but I'm not going to get carried away just yet. Don't really want us to go up this year anyway if I'm honest.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think we have played 2 teams certain to finish bottom 8 and 1 that will be mid table to play offs. When we have played another 5 teams that are going to be in the mix we'll have a better idea. I think mid table with a chance of the play offs of we get another couple of decent signings.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
October is a big month for us, some really hard games there. Will know a lot more after that but then I thought we would lose last night. Cardiff are a top 6 side and we just strolled over them...Im going for 5th/6th....and a play off final at Wembley against Southampton.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Way too early to start changing my opinion. Thought maybe upper/mid-table, and haven't changed my view. If we beat Blackpool and Peterborough however.......

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff are very different to the side they were last season. New manager, new strike force. On paper looks decent but you never know, they might struggle this season, so its a bit to early to say we've won away at a top side.

Many more tests to come but certainly an encouraging start. I don't think we need to worry about a relegation battle, which is a massive plus.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
This is a Cardiff side that turned West Ham over at Upton Park. No mugs by any stretch of the imagination. Im overseas from Feb-June so if we do make the play-offs that will be a seriously bitter sweet moment

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gus and definitely Tony, aren't in this to 'avoid relegation first, then we'll see what happens'.

This start for me, is too much, and I'm struggling to come to terms with the success, and in true Albion fan stylee am now waiting for the wheels to fall off.

We will know pretty much all we need to know by 28th Sept.

I can't see Gus looking for short term gains with Premiership loanees coming in for a month or 3.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If we were to get to Wembley this year I would have a dilemma. I live four stops from Wembley on the Jubilee line, but somehow leaving my house and making the 12 minute journey there just wouldn't feel right. I think I'd have to get the train down to Brighton first thing, and then come back up to Wembley with the masses from Sussex.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Safety, A nice long unbeaten home run & two wins over Palarse. Maybe a bit of a cup run as an added bonus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here