Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How does the Thrust wall hold up all of that weight?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Hello Project Team

When we first saw pictures of the thrust wall bases being constructed I assumed that the roof trusses would be connected to the massive bits of concrete in the ground.
To the untrained eye (like mine) the wall above ground doesn't look big enough to take the weight of all that steel.

I can see how they work from an end to end perspective as that part is is very long (like Martin Perry explained with the ruler) but from a sideways perspective it is comparatively thin and as the roof truss is on a slant, how does the weight (or should I say gravity) not pull the wall down in ?

I understand that the answer could be too complex to explain on here so anything in laymans term would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Project Office

Aug 21, 2009
The answer is a bit complex but basically it is a reinforced concrete wall that acts as a beam. Buckinghams have not yet cast the bearing at the top but when you see this it looks like a 'dog head'. This is designed so that the forces go perpendicular to the wall. The foundations beneath the wall have 'teeth' on the underside like a gear wheel which grip the chalk becasue the biggest problem is slippage of the foundation. These teeth act as sheer keys. In addition to this the concrete used in these walls is extremely high strength and a special mix design which was very carefully supervised when the wall was poured.

You did ask!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here