Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This leaves more questions than answers;

1. Does this signal the end of furlough from tomorrow?

to add to other answer, furlough is already extended to end of June.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Does anyone else get the impression that the interests of the nation are being subordinated to keeping the right wing of the Tory party happy?

If so, not for the first time

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone else get the impression that the interests of the nation are being subordinated to keeping the right wing of the Tory party happy?

Exactly this. As it has been for the past few years too. They are not concerned about the lack of clarity say the announcement on schools has for teachers, school staff, children, parents. They have provided no detail on how this can happen practically (PPE, distancing etc) and don't give a shit on the anxieties it causes people. They won't open schools if it's dangerous I'm sure but they just wanted to announce a date to appease their backers and backbench MP's for now. It will be great if schools can open but this government are dreadful, dreadful people.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

Only if the right wing of the Tory party want to destroy the economy, wipe out most small businesses, make millions unemployed, and make cancer deaths and mental illness reach new heights.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Also, did anyone hear BJ talk about how the country might start to share more at the end of the speech?! As if, he has shared any of his personal wealth or adnvaced ANY policy to support anyone less fortunate at the cost of the wealthy. The only thing he's shared is his sperm and covid 19 germs when shaking hands.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Only if the right wing of the Tory party want to destroy the economy, wipe out most small businesses, make millions unemployed, and make cancer deaths and mental illness reach new heights.

Are you talking about brexit or the coronavirus?

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
The PM has delivered a very mixed message tonight, those who can not work from home to return tomorrow to work but unless no other choice by not by using public transport.

2. Small to medium businesses are they even ready for tomorrow?
3. Building sites are they ready?
4. Will PPE and appropriate social distancing be available on building sites and in shared vans?

I think the construction industry new in advance. I know several companies related to construction that mentioned restarting on May 11 some weeks back.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Looks like a pretty... non-controversial speech. Do wonder a bit about the strategy of telling things on a Sunday evening that are enacted on Monday morning. What about announcing the changes on, say Friday, so that you have the weekend to answer questions and clarify things that may not be 100% obvious?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The PM has delivered a very mixed message tonight, those who can not work from home to return tomorrow to work but unless no other choice by not by using public transport.

2. Small to medium businesses are they even ready for tomorrow?
3. Building sites are they ready?
4. Will PPE and appropriate social distancing be available on building sites and in shared vans?

I think I can answer your questions.

1 No - unless you return to work
2 3 and 4... If they are not, then people can't safely return to work. If they are, then it seems like a good thing for all concerned if they do.

His exact words: "We now need to stress that anyone who can’t work from home, for instance those in construction or manufacturing, should be actively encouraged to go to work. And we want it to be safe for you to get to work. So you should avoid public transport if at all possible – because we must and will maintain social distancing, and capacity will therefore be limited. So work from home if you can, but you should go to work if you can’t work from home. And to ensure you are safe at work we have been working to establish new guidance for employers to make workplaces COVID-secure."

So, basically, it is now down to all employers in businesses that are not specifically prohibited from operating to implement the guidance which will be issued, so that their staff can return to work. This guidance is presumably what was leaked last week - and it mainly gave suggestions on how to implement social distancing measures where possible. One of the things I recall was specifically about stuff like travelling in vans and so on, and the recommendation was effectively that you buddy-up, so you only share with one other person. https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/governments-draft-plan-to-ease-lockdown-workpace-in-full

The thing that has puzzled me since his speech is that on the BBC they keep saying that you can meet one other person when you go the park/beach, so long as you keep your distance. I can't see where he said that.

D

Deleted member 2719

Okay..

I work in manufacturing and can drive to work so am actively encouraged to do so and my boss wants me in. What do I do with my child? Can they now go to school?

This sounds very much hypothetical because if it wasn't, you would work a solution out.

Okay. Would you know be willing to host a Q & A for us then ?
No, as like I said earlier most will read the Mirror and Guardian and decide they are giving important news, they really prefer to get guidance from these scum vultures, people who want to bring people down just because they can, nasty feckers.

Come on then clever clogs, enlighten us in simple words, for us thickos...!
But It was in simple words, although Stay alert could have been swapped for a better words.

The more detail, the more confusing it is because everyone will read into the detail and there is no perfect solution against this virus yet, ask the germans.

It’s so clear yet no one can seemingly explain why it’s needed, it’s benefits or how it’s implemented. It just seems a complete waste of time and resources to me.
It is an aim to go a baby step forward to restart those businesses and potential job losses, before the financial burden kills our country. There is no ideal way but small steps is the only way and a lot have people have been shouting this for 3 weeks now and they are still not happy.
You will never please everyone, especially if you're looking to pick holes in every which way the government do things.

No worries, it was hypothetical!

Bugger didn't see that coming.

By being provided with detail, which will be vital when the Covid legislation is updated, unless you are saying the law doesn't matter.

Still, we will probably see lots of stories in the coming days of people being fined by the Police for doing something which they thought was their understanding of the changes, but the Police have decided isn't.

Like I said detail can just confuse, you are not the type to read privacy policies every time you land on a web page, are you?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The thing that has puzzled me since his speech is that on the BBC they keep saying that you can meet one other person when you go the park/beach, so long as you keep your distance. I can't see where he said that.

I saw that, and that you might be able to play golf and tennis with people from the same household. Now in the case of both of those sports, it’s it not possible to maintain 2m separation and play with 1 person outside your household if you could also sit in the park with them 2m apart?:shrug:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think I can answer your questions.

1 No - unless you return to work
2 3 and 4... If they are not, then people can't safely return to work. If they are, then it seems like a good thing for all concerned if they do.

I think that's a fair interpretation provided, of course, that the answers of 2, 3 and 4 are provided with trade union agreement.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Raab rolled out for the Today programme on R4 this morning, where the f**k is the PM to answer questions?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here