Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I stand by that assertion.

It’s not the truth that hurts, it’s the shock of hearing it.

giphy.gif

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Even more countries aghast at how bad the Tory government have handled this. Tory sympathisers still in denial. As people die.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Vallance said 20K would be a good result. He was right. Sadly we are beyond that now.

I still think we have done quite well given everything, and I say that as a Boris loather and tory skeptic.

Anyway, you can read any quibbles our triggaaar may have with that take; I won't because....you can guess the rest. :shrug:

What I suggest Vallance meant was that the 20k related to excess deaths above the 5 year average. I think we are close to that but not sure that we have exceeded it yet.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
We're Europe's number 1:

The UK now has the highest death toll in Europe from coronavirus after new official figures revealed that more than 32,000 people have died from the virus.

The Office for National Statistics said 29,648 deaths had taken place by 27 April in England and Wales with Covid-19 mentioned in death certificates.

With the addition of deaths in Scotland and Northern Ireland, this takes the UK’s death toll to 32,313, according to calculations by Reuters.

This figure far exceeds the death toll of 29,029 in Italy – until now Europe’s worst-hit country. Italy’s total does not include suspected cases.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We're Europe's number 1:

The UK now has the highest death toll in Europe from coronavirus after new official figures revealed that more than 32,000 people have died from the virus.

The Office for National Statistics said 29,648 deaths had taken place by 27 April in England and Wales with Covid-19 mentioned in death certificates.

With the addition of deaths in Scotland and Northern Ireland, this takes the UK’s death toll to 32,313, according to calculations by Reuters.

This figure far exceeds the death toll of 29,029 in Italy – until now Europe’s worst-hit country. Italy’s total does not include suspected cases.

And we're an island nation, just grim...

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I imagine Spain is higher than us in reality. France too.

A lot of the loons no longer deal with reality, it is far more convenient to promote themselves to pandemic experts and blame everyone except the real perpetrators of this world wide tragedy. The alarming this is they believe the bollox that they spout.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What I suggest Vallance meant was that the 20k related to excess deaths above the 5 year average. I think we are close to that but not sure that we have exceeded it yet.

YTD figures published for 24th April suggest that annual 5 years figure would be 195,648

YTD 2020 figure is 229,308

'Excess deaths' YTD = 33660

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Oh well, if you imagine it, that’s all the proof I’d need.

Jesus wept.

I can’t make the figures any lower, but Spain has a lot of Care Home deaths that don't seem to be included in their figures.

But when all is said and done it’s not a competition. And it’s not quite over yet (unless it turns out to be a seasonal virus).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Huh?! Their messaging has been awful! Appallingly muddled and indirect. Deliberately so. Johnson doesn’t want to appear too harsh with Lockdown.

Let’s have it right;

Tory’s got re-elected on a Brexit ticket. The type of people that voted Brexit are typically anti-lockdown. But the would also get annoyed at a high death count. Tory solution?;

Send out mixed messages that seem to sort of, kind of fall in line with something sort of resembling a lockdown but don’t really enforce it that strictly.

The inevitable result? Lots of dead people. Tory solution?

Just fudge all the numbers and waffle. They’ll fall for it.

An whaddya know? They have.

Tory’s got re-elected on a Brexit ticket. If they have a hope of staying in power, they have to continue to placate the Leave voters.

I understand that you don't like the Tories. I don't either, but I can recognise that they can do some things well. Many of the things they've done in relation to CV19 have been good. As an example, they've broken from their 'ideology' of free markets, and greatly expanded the role of the state and, broadly, Sunak has done well (not perfectly, there's still much to do around the edges, but well).
Outside of the pandemic, they are good, really good, at messaging. Especially simple slogans: Take Back Control; Get Brexit Done. I'm obviously referring to the current lot, and particularly Johnson and Cummings (I wouldn't say the same for May, for instance). Step back into CV19, and their core message of 'Stay at Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives' has been widely accepted as being extremely effective. (Although perhaps not by you.)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A lot of the loons no longer deal with reality, it is far more convenient to promote themselves to pandemic experts and blame everyone except the real perpetrators of this world wide tragedy. The alarming this is they believe the bollox that they spout.

Refusing to believe the truth doesn’t make it a lie. Sooner or later people will have to face the fact. The U.K. government has really dropped the ball on this.

Clearly you blame the Chinese. Okay. Fine. They have a lot to answer for. That doesn’t let every other nation off the hook in their response.

If your house was on fire you wouldn’t lay in bed , blaming faulty wiring and cursing the electrician thinking , not my fault, not my problem. You’d react.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I understand that you don't like the Tories. I don't either, but I can recognise that they can do some things well. Many of the things they've done in relation to CV19 have been good. As an example, they've broken from their 'ideology' of free markets, and greatly expanded the role of the state and, broadly, Sunak has done well (not perfectly, there's still much to do around the edges, but well).
Outside of the pandemic, they are good, really good, at messaging. Especially simple slogans: Take Back Control; Get Brexit Done. I'm obviously referring to the current lot, and particularly Johnson and Cummings (I wouldn't say the same for May, for instance). Step back into CV19, and their core message of 'Stay at Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives' has been widely accepted as being extremely effective. (Although perhaps not by you.)

True. Their slogans do catch the attention of a certain demographic.

“£350m a week to our NHS” springs to mind :)

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I imagine Spain is higher than us in reality. France too.

This response to RossyG's post is through the looking glass. Ross posts something without any proof, based on nothing but his 'suspicion', claiming it is reality, and then you seem to agree with him and claim that people you disagree with don't 'deal with reality'.

Remind me what the definition of 'reality' is :mad:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This response to RossyG's post is through the looking glass. Ross posts something without any proof, based on nothing but his 'suspicion', claiming it is reality, and then you seem to agree with him and claim that people you disagree with don't 'deal with reality'.

Remind me what the definition of 'reality' is :mad:

Pair of wallys

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I see the Speaker isn't impressed with Johnson sidestepping Parliament with his Sunday announcement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here