Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you set up a charity?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
All i will be doing is opening a bank account and the proceeds from this will be paid to another charity, probably heart research.

Is there anything I need to know, register as a charity?

I am being serious here.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You need to contact the Charities Commission.

The Charity Commission is established by law as the regulator and registrar for charities in England and Wales.

Our aim is to provide the best possible regulation of charities in England and Wales in order to increase charities' effectiveness and public confidence and trust.

www.charity-commission.gov.uk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If you are just collecting money for onward transmission to an existing charity then you don't need to set up as a charity yourself, why don't you just use your own bank account. Most banks will charge even for charity accounts.

As long as you provide the charity you are sending the money to a full breakdown of the monies you have collected then that should be sufficient

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Its not quite as simple as that yorkie, I have set 2 of the things up and one is not regisered with the CC as it does not need to be its a section 30 company.

It depends on a number of factors like (as has been stated) what the money is too be used for, how much money is going to be involved (less than £1000 a year and there is no need to register) over £10,000 and the books need to be externally inspected over 250,000 and you need a full audit.

Go have a whizz through the CC site any questions email or PM me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here