Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you just walk of a cliff?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
There's no fence along the edge and people stand very close so that they can get a good picture

The fence that is sometimes proposed is a non-starter. Apart from spoiling the natural beauty of Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters, it wouldn't deter anyone wanting to commit suicide, and it would need constant moving and rebuilding as the cliffs erode. The geography of the cliffs is also awkward, so there would always be sections where fencing was impossible and dogs, walkers, jumpers etc could easily slip through.

I don't think you were advocating a fence - but some misguided people do.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Don't know how close she was to the edge but yo see people up there, peering over the edge all the time. I don't think people realise how dangerous this is.A gust of wind, simply losing your footing or being distracted for a few seconds is so easily done. Plus, bits of that cliff edge are so unstable, you wouldn't catch me going closer than 5 feet or so from the edge up there.

I think she/her husband were also walking their dog so there is your distraction. Its amazing that it doesn't happen more often to be honest.

When I was a kid I can remember crawling on my stomach to look over the edge, I seem to remember my parents had a fit, I didn't do it again!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Very sad story.

One of my earliest memories was running down a hill in Eastbourne somewhere and being grabbed by my brother just before I got to the cliff edge. I must have been 2 or 3. I have hated heights ever since. To a child or to people not paying attention, some cliff edges can just look like a brow of a hill.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
The inventor of the Segway died by accidentially driving (do you drive a Segway?) one off a cliff, if I recall correctly, he was reversing to let some other people by.

EDIT: It was actually the owner of the Segway company (Jimi Heselden), rather than the inventor (Dean Kamen).

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The inventor of the Segway died by accidentially driving (do you drive a Segway?) one off a cliff, if I recall correctly, he was reversing to let some other people by.

OOps! Not a great way to go eh?!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How do you just walk of a cliff?

I dont get it, im not sure how its possible to accidentally walk of the end of a cliff?

It looks pretty obvious to me
I never once stated i thought it was the husband or she jumped, just dont get how people get into that situation in the first place.
Your first post reads to me like you are suggesting it wasn't an accident. If not, exactly what was obvious to you?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

EDIT: It was actually the owner of the Segway company (Jimi Heselden), rather than the inventor (Dean Kamen).

You ride a segway. or you don't.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
The fence that is sometimes proposed is a non-starter. Apart from spoiling the natural beauty of Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters, it wouldn't deter anyone wanting to commit suicide, and it would need constant moving and rebuilding as the cliffs erode. The geography of the cliffs is also awkward, so there would always be sections where fencing was impossible and dogs, walkers, jumpers etc could easily slip through.

I don't think you were advocating a fence - but some misguided people do.

A fence WOULD have prevented this one person from being blown by a gust off the cliff, so don't you think a single death worth an effort to try and prevent?

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I find myself regularly being worried about the possibility of accidental death occurring in an everyday sort of setting...

In the context of this thread, the possibility of slipping, being blown by a sudden gust of wind, or some other sort of easy misjudgement when in a high place is a very common thought. Falling out of windows, off balconies, bridges, mountain/cliff edges, etc are all quite feasible in my mind...

The other catastrophic thoughts that frequently intrude are:

electrocution - banging a nail into a wire, sticking a knife in a toaster, cutting through the cable on a garden machine, etc
being run over - just making a mistake crossing a road, dual carriageways are especially dangerous in my imagination (not that in fact I'd ever try and cross one...)
falling off a station platform or being pushed off by a nutter
drowning - dragged under or out to sea, falling asleep in the bath(!)
suffocation - e.g. at the bottom of a ruck in rugby or due to a particularly heavy cold blocking all airways(!)

and there are plenty of others (poisoning, choking, hit by a cricket ball, etc...)

Until recently I had these thoughts purely on my own behalf - now I have the prospect of worrying about my son into the bargain...!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here