Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do we shape up against the 2001/2002 promotion winning side

Sep 1, 2010
How do you feel we are doing compared to that side, an interested stat is in the 2001-02 season after 8 games we were on 17 points with a 6+ goal difference, we are EXACTLY the same this time round, so i felt it would be good to have your thoughts. I personally feel we have a more competitive squad than then but also feel we are weaker up front. I just have a feeling that up front is where it may cost us so if i was Poyet i would seek an investment in january of 2 players left back and forward. I have no problems with Barnes or Murray but i noticed Murray getting very frustrated yesterday and he kicked the post at one point in frustration, oh how good we would be with another Zamora up front in this side.

Sep 1, 2010
Yeah i personally agree with you Ibrahim, i feel the Midfield is more technically gifted but it is all opinions of course. interesting same league stat though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The old team would have scored on the break and then defended for rest of the game. The current team plays much much better football but I reckon would struggle to defeat the 2001/2 team who definitely would score against the current one.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Without Zamora this side would walk all over that team but with all due respect the the rapidly improving strike force it would be pretty even with BZ.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I always believed that we had a collection of (maybe slightly above) average players plus Zamora that gelled into the great team that was built by Micky Adams. As far as I can remember only Zamora was ever a target from other clubs.

From my brief experiences of our squad this season I think we have much more technical ability and potential.

Spacegull

Sehr Kosmiche.
Feb 22, 2009
High Weald
... Interesting stat from Art Vs Science.... same points & GD....
Personally I think the standard of League One has improved greatly over the intervening years . The professionalism, fitness & technique of the Gus squad is the real deal..... they'd batter the Adams side.
Of course a striker of Zamora's ability would be the icing on the cake....

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
I think we have a far better footballing side now and greater strength in depth than 2001, instead of having the one 25+ goal striker that we had then im hoping we have 3 strikers who will be rotated through the season who will all get 15+. When Peter Taylor took over Adam's team we wasnt always that pretty to watch.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
When Peter Taylor took over Adam's team we wasnt always that pretty to watch.

That peter taylor year put me off going to withdean the football was so shite, I've never been so bored to see brighton win as I was under him.

If we'd had a young Bobby Zamora in the team yesterday we would've been 5-0 up at half time.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Our midfield is better now, no doubt, with great strength in depth and much much more creativity.

I think the Morgan and Cullip partnership in central defence was better, if only because of their experience - but we certainly can't fault the current pair on their showing so far.

Oct 25, 2003
goalkeeper- THEN (kuipers was superb that season)

full backs- NOW (calderon and painter are definitely better than mayo/watson)

centre backs- THEN

wingers- DRAW (hart had an excellent season that year, and brooker was our main creative outlet, if a 'bit' inconsistant)

central midfielders- NOW (carpenter aside they were more solid than anything, lewis and melton were decent at the end of the season though)

strikers- THEN (i've never seen a brighton player so obviously better than everyone on the pitch than zamora was that year....the amount of times that we won 1-0 with him scoring the only goal was beyond a joke)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
goalkeeper- THEN (kuipers was superb that season)

full backs- NOW (calderon and painter are definitely better than mayo/watson)

centre backs- THEN

wingers- DRAW (hart had an excellent season that year, and brooker was our main creative outlet, if a 'bit' inconsistant)

central midfielders- NOW (carpenter aside they were more solid than anything, lewis and melton were decent at the end of the season though)

strikers- THEN (i've never seen a brighton player so obviously better than everyone on the pitch than zamora was that year....the amount of times that we won 1-0 with him scoring the only goal was beyond a joke)

:thumbsup: That saved me five minutes.

Oct 25, 2003
Brooked and hart better than lualua and Bennett?! :lolol:

no, i said they were equal

short memory? hart had a great season, he had pace back then and set up a fair amount of goals for zamora, he also weighed in with his fair share of goals himself and had his trademark work ethic, helping out watson a lot

as for brooker, he was inconsistant but he was our primary creative outlet, he also set up a lot of goals for zamora and scored some crackers himself.......imo he was one of our most important players that year....yes he was somewhat a luxury player but he was a matchwinner on his day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here