Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do we go about setting up our own political party?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
triptolemus said:
Where we differ, I think, is that I believe we lost the Goldstone because of a political mistake, not just because of Archer and co. That's what I'm sore about. I'd rather the fans controlled their own destiny, not local or national politicians.
This is interesting even though it's not fully relevant to the current battle. What political mistake are you talking about? Personally I feel there was too much "focus" on Bellotti and Archer and not enough pressure on Stanley and Kingfisher plc (Chartwell Land).

Turgid

Dec 5, 2003
Wadhurst
The political mistake was that the council failed to ringfence the Goldstone in terms of potential development when they had the chance - instead they allowed Archer and his henchmen to steal the Goldstone from under our noses.

Despite the support of the Council for Falmer, they must take a large slice of the blame for the redevelopment of The Goldstone - without their ineptitude, Archer would not have got away with it.

I do not trust the council and expected them to back Falmer - if it Prescott says no they can say "we supported it - did all we could" - if it is a yes they can take credit. We must not take our eyes of the local council - think both nationally and locally in any protests, campaigns etc.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
It was Hove Council who gave the planning permission on the Goldstone Ground, and Hove Council, just like the Goldstone Ground, doesnt exist any more.

It would be intesting to know if the individuals involved in that decision are still involved with the current Brighton & Hove Council, who have been involved with Falmer.

Last edited:

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Just seen this thread, morning all.

Powder has been kept dry so far, although private discussions have been taking place, because the last thing I want to do is spend lots of time talking about the worst case scenario (we are all hoping for the best and doing everything we can to achieve it) but IF Falmer is turned down a group of us will be proposing the formation of a Seagulls Party to stand against politicians of all hues
at the General Election in the three Brighton seats, Hove and Lewes. Not as a single issue either, but although concentarting on Falmer to appeal to all those people who feel let down and betrayed by all political parties and the political process itself, including the thousands who never bother to vote at all.

The aim as I see it would be to concentrate the minds of ALL local politicians, national and local, to back the club 100% and come up with a solution to save the Albion BEFORE the next general election. This is what the Valley Party did.
A general appeal to all those pissed off with politicians would have tremendous resonance right now!

Smart Mart said:
It was Hove Council who gave the planning permission on the Goldstone Ground, and Hove Council, just like the Goldstone Ground, doesnt exist any more.

It would be intesting to know if the individuals involved in that decision are still involved with the current Brighton & Hove Council, who have been involved with Falmer.

The ironic thing was: we were all asked to write to Hove council by the then directors of the club, asking them to approve planning permission, in much the same way as we've all been asked to write letters in recent years. This was pre Archer and Bellotti. Somewhere in my archive collection in the loft is the acknowledgement letter from Hove council, circa 1992. Unsure if planning permission can be "ringfenced" after it has been granted. In retrospect, it should have been "ringfenced" as a condition of planning permission. Retrospect eh? ???

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
attila said:
Just seen this thread, morning all.

Powder has been kept dry so far, although private discussions have been taking place, because the last thing I want to do is spend lots of time talking about the worst case scenario (we are all hoping for the best and doing everything we can to achieve it) but IF Falmer is turned down a group of us will be proposing the formation of a Seagulls Party to stand against politicians of all hues
at the General Election in the three Brighton seats, Hove and Lewes. Not as a single issue either, but although concentarting on Falmer to appeal to all those people who feel let down and betrayed by all political parties and the political process itself, including the thousands who never bother to vote at all.

The aim as I see it would be to concentrate the minds of ALL local politicians, national and local, to back the club 100% and come up with a solution to save the Albion BEFORE the next general election. This is what the Valley Party did.
A general appeal to all those pissed off with politicians would have tremendous resonance right now!

As you say, lets hope it doesnt get that far.... but that is very good news :clap: :clap: :clap:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
The whole issue is completely political. IMHO this country is run by an establishment regardless of which party is in power. The establishment view is that new stadia should only be built on derelict land preferably in the north of England. The establishment mistakenly believe that there is more interest in football in the north than in the south. That's why every tinpot club up north has reasonable facilities mainly grant funded.

Of the southern clubs we are in the most difficult situation but there are a load of clubs who are in need of much better grounds: Pompey, Colchester, Luton, Brentford, Barnet, Arsenal, Southend.

The key issue is that the Government believes that there should be an increase in population but there shouldn't be proper sport and leisure facilities where they are needed. To compound this BLiar is supporting an Olympic bid. If Falmer is turned down this Olympic bid is preposterous.
PS I'm not necessarily anti-Labour. I think this is a cultural issue that affects all main political parties.

triptolemus

Oct 7, 2003
mona said:
This is interesting even though it's not fully relevant to the current battle. What political mistake are you talking about? Personally I feel there was too much "focus" on Bellotti and Archer and not enough pressure on Stanley and Kingfisher plc (Chartwell Land).

I posted stuff about this last year, but essentially at least one of those who initially pushed through retail planning permission for the Goldstone (which eventually scuppered the ground) on Hove Council (as it was then) is still in a key political position in our city. It is relevant to the current battle, because it would be extremely damaging for Labour if a) Prescott did not endorse Falmer and b) this historical fact became more widely understood.

I was one of those, with Attila, proposing a Seagulls Party as far back as 1998, in order to apply pressure to bring the team back from Gillingham. I genuinely believe this contributed to the return of the team to the town, because the Labour council, even at that time, were running scared of the backlash at the ballot box if they did not bring them back - hence Withdean.

Incidentally, every time I post about this, I am accused of being a member of Falmer Parish Council etc by one of the moderators of this site (see above). Why is this ?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I believe that the threat of a Seagulls Party in 1998 was one of the main reasons why Brighton Council, despite having many members with no interest in the Albion, acted quickly - or relatively so - to bring us back. The point of a Seagulls Party in the worst case scenario would be a sword of Damocles to galvanise all politicians - especially Labour ones, because they are in power - to do absolutely everything to help the club move forward as quickly as possible in whatever way we could from day one following the decision. But let's not take this any further for now. The threat is there: they know it's there. We need the right decision from Prescott and there is still a bloody good chance we'll get it...keep emailing, keep campaigning, keep the faith!

SEAGULLS!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Smart Mart said:
New Labour were so fecking proud of winning Hove at the last election. If any one of their 3 local MPs were to quit over this issue, forcing a by election, it would force our campaign onto the national agenda...

In our dreams. Caplin is so far up Blair's arse he's worrying the man's dentist, and if either Lepper or Turner threatened to resign, they would be given a swift talking-to by the whips.

Interestingly, if an MP of any party wishes to resign his seat for a reason other than becoming a peer or going bankrupt, he has to apply to be a "Crown Steward or Bailiff of the Chiltern hundreds" or of "the manor of Northstead" These can only be bestowed by the Chancellor of the Exchequer. So Gordon could say no. And if Labour want to avoid Brent East style embarrassment, he probably will.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
Interesting thread. As Attila said, in the worst case scenario we should resurrect the Seagull Party plan. The trouble is that the law sides with nimbys unless new roads or airports are proposed. Hence Brit architecture is so often uninspired. Further, sadly, pompous pedants who have been to Oxford, like Charles Hoile, are often the people with the power to inflict their subjective judgments on the rest of us. Democracy my a*se !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here