Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do I register a domain?

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Long story, but basically I just want to register a domain so that when people go on it it will just re-route you to a site that is stored on another sever (with a name that is harder to remember).

I just want either a .com or a .co.uk - how do I do it?

(Sorry for asking such a totally stupid question)

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
JonC said:
Long story, but basically I just want to register a domain so that when people go on it it will just re-route you to a site that is stored on another sever (with a name that is harder to remember).

I just want either a .com or a .co.uk - how do I do it?

(Sorry for asking such a totally stupid question)

Go to someone like 123-reg.co.uk, and follow the information there. You want to register the name, and they will allow you to do web forwarding. Will cost a few quid a month. Why not use one of their packages, and host the site on their servers as well? Traffic limits are quite large, good uptime as well.

THE GUNT

Aug 8, 2005
lcn are pretty cheap! They also give you an email address and you can frame the page so your address at the top stays the same rather than forwarding to geocities or some free shit!

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Re: Re: How do I register a domain?

HampshireSeagulls said:
Go to someone like 123-reg.co.uk, and follow the information there. You want to register the name, and they will allow you to do web forwarding. Will cost a few quid a month. Why not use one of their packages, and host the site on their servers as well? Traffic limits are quite large, good uptime as well.

It's already hosted with someone (free) - I just need to forward the domain on.

I thought you might be able to 'buy' the domain direct. I assume that 123-reg have to buy it off someone, so can't you just buy a domain directly from the people who sell them on in the first place. Rather than from a third party agency thing. If you get me.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The company that sells them in the first place charges you a LOT more than they charge resellers, so its a BAD BAD idea to get them off them.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Just had a bloke randomly email me to ask if I'd like to sell one of my domain names (I have many).

Found a company to give me an appraisal and they say the name is worth $950 at current market value, with a potential market value of $3,800+

Not bad for something that cost me $15!

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Downloaded Penguin said:
Just had a bloke randomly email me to ask if I'd like to sell one of my domain names (I have many).

Found a company to give me an appraisal and they say the name is worth $950 at current market value, with a potential market value of $3,800+

Not bad for something that cost me $15!

Either sell it soon or bye-bye to making the money, ICANN are considering banning selling domains names above their official retail value - about 80 dollars for a .com, 50 quid for a .*.uk, 100 euros for .ie and so on.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
MYOB said:
Either sell it soon or bye-bye to making the money, ICANN are considering banning selling domains names above their official retail value - about 80 dollars for a .com, 50 quid for a .*.uk, 100 euros for .ie and so on.

That won't happen, there's too much money to be made in domain names. Business.com went for $7.5m I think.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Some kid started up Soccernet.com as a site e-mailing football results to his schoolfriends, he sold it for millions!

Think that was one of my brother's mates...

But getting back on topic, I have a couple of domains with 123-reg.co.uk - nice and cheap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here