Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How difficult can it be to test a train?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Indeed, but they used to run the Thameslink franchise and the trains were filthy. I think it was partly because their trains were serviced at Selhurst (as they still are done today) and obviously Selhurst give priority to Southern trains. I quite agree, the new Southern trains are a vast improvement on the old rattler carts we had before, though they can be rather slower on my line owing to the very frequent stops and the length of time they sit at the stations. Saying that, would I go back to the old carts? No way.

I completely forgot that, to be honest! The one thing I've noticed since Thameslink became FCC, is that the FCC trains all seem to have a disconcerting odour of shite.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
For the second time this week, a packed f***ing Crapital Connect train (i.e. the ones that were Thameslink) has had to discharge its full cargo of passengers at Brighton station before even setting off, because of a "mechanical fault on the train that can't be rectified".

Why do you even get on the crappy Thameslink trains? Surely anyone with any sense would go up to London in the smoth green airconned comfort of a SOUTHERN train. Then a tube journey. OK, that bit's not pleasant, but at least the major part of your journey is done in comfort. :dunce:

Even if I go out drinking a stone's throw from London Bridge of an evening, I'll still make the detour to come back via Victoria rather than go anywhere near a Thameslink train :nono:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I preferred slam doors (which I know are illegal now)/B]

???

If they're illegal in the UK can you please have the ENTIRE stocks of them sent to Irish Rail post haste. Theres a minor gauge issue to fix but they've done that the in past. Beanboxes on my route are f***ing killing me, had to get rid of the slam doors it was assigned due to the floors rusting out, but they're still perfectly legal and used here.

Alby

Jan 4, 2005
West Sussex
What a lot of you seem to forget is that until First took over Thameslink and Southern were owned by the same companies. They also had The Thames trains franchise which they lost to First Great Western.

Also Govia did not order the new stock before they took over they had to agree to continue to take delivery of the new stock as a condition of taking over the Franchise. Connex ordered the stock thats why there are so many minor design problems.

GoVia now operate South Eastern as well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Re: Re: How difficult can it be to test a train?

Tom Hark said:

Even if I go out drinking a stone's throw from London Bridge of an evening, I'll still make the detour to come back via Victoria rather than go anywhere near a Thameslink train :nono:

Complete opposite from me. FCC trains are shite of the first order but they're nowhere near the hell of Southern.

FCC trains have windows and they have toilets. They might be 20th century but Southern appears to be stuck in the 19th.

Southern is the only train company whose train has been so unpleasant I've actually had to get off. If Tom really makes an effort to go on then, I can only assume that Tom wants to save on a sauna bill. :lolol:

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have to say Southern Railway trains are a real treat now.

The tube is appalling now and very soon I predict someone will die of heat exhaustion. I work at Kings Cross and always use Southern for Victoria or London Bridge.

After an awful 20 minutes tube an air-conditioned Southern train is superb. One issue is those new toilets with the electric doors are invariably very smelly.

Last edited:

The Southern carriage I was travelling on yesterday had a fault with the air conditioning.

The conductor came along and suggested that people who were going further than the next station might prefer to move to another carriage - and he told people where the spaces were.

The previous day, the train had a lot of language students on board. So they opened up first class to everyone to allow people to get a seat.

Good service.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lord Bracknell said:
The previous day, the train had a lot of language students on board. So they opened up first class to everyone to allow people to get a seat.

Good service.

No it is not good service, the riff raff invade my space in 1st class :angry: :angry:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: How difficult can it be to test a train?

Gwylan said:
Complete opposite from me. FCC trains are shite of the first order but they're nowhere near the hell of Southern.

FCC trains have windows and they have toilets. They might be 20th century but Southern appears to be stuck in the 19th.

Southern is the only train company whose train has been so unpleasant I've actually had to get off. If Tom really makes an effort to go on then, I can only assume that Tom wants to save on a sauna bill. :lolol:

This is based on research carried out in the Summer of 2003 right?

Or are you just HEAD-MENTAL? :jester:

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Lord Bracknell said:
The Southern carriage I was travelling on yesterday had a fault with the air conditioning.

The conductor came along and suggested that people who were going further than the next station might prefer to move to another carriage - and he told people where the spaces were.

Good service.

The 17:?? train from Brighton to Ashford on a Saturday is always packed after a home game, and they open 1st Class to all, and even suggest people who want to go to Lewes, wait 5 minutes and get the slower train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here