Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How did you choose your kids names ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Ours was rather simple. i went into one room,herself into another. we both had pen and paper,and wrote down our 10 favourite names. We swopped papers,crossed out what did not like. That reduced it to about 4 each. Back to our rooms we then crossed out those that again we liked but were not first choice. So down to 2,from there just chatted.:bigwave:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
mine will be a case of whatever artist is number one in the singles chart at the time - heres hoping for something like the pigeon detectives

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
ooh...good question. So what are they called, LB?

1st son named Thomas James Lee named after maternal grandfather, paternal grandfather and father respectively.

2nd son named Gabriel Richard Jay named after main character in Far from the Madding Crowd (dull character - loved the name), maternal grandfather and godfather, my brother's name respectively.

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm glad we didn't do that as our boy would be called leona!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We were on holiday on Cat Island, a small Bahamian island, when my wife was very pregnant. The resort was visited by a number of very rich Americans who got their staff to bring their big boats down from the US whilst they flew in to meet them. When there they would go big sport fishing.

One evening we got chatting to the captain of one of these big boats. His wife was also pregnant but, unlike us, he knew what sex they were having and they had already decided on a name. They were having a baby Madison. We immediately took to the name and decided that if we had a girl, she would be a Madison. And so it was. I don't think I need to explain the 'Zamora' middlename bit.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
We were on holiday on Cat Island, a small Bahamian island, when my wife was very pregnant. The resort was visited by a number of very rich Americans who got their staff to bring their big boats down from the US whilst they flew in to meet them. When there they would go big sport fishing.

One evening we got chatting to the captain of one of these big boats. His wife was also pregnant but, unlike us, he knew what sex they were having and they had already decided on a name. They were having a baby Madison. We immediately took to the name and decided that if we had a girl, she would be a Madison. And so it was. I don't think I need to explain the 'Zamora' middlename bit.

thats the name we have got for our girl whens she pops out next month or jan.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I think I'll look at the list of the most popular names and choose something that is not in the top 20. When I was at school, there was a reception class with a new intake containing 4 boys named Josh. I think my father would be disappointed if my children had no Italian in their names, particularly if I married an Englishman.

I always find it odd when people name a child before it's even conceived. Surely some names just suit the child when it's born?

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
My son, Lewis Alexander, named after the county town of East Sussex and maternal grandfather. His middle name has nothing to do with the team my husband supports (Crewe) contrary to what everyone is always at pains to tell me :down:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Lucky he wasn't born in West Sussex...though Chichester Alexander does have a distinguished ring to it.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Not had any yet (that I know of) but I named my cat after Robbie Fowler. In my Liverpool-addled 14 year old head it seemed like a good idea. As did telling Mr Fowler of his furry namesake at the Brighton Liverpool friendly circa 1995. :D

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
My mother -- who has seven children -- passed this along before her grandchildren -- now 19 in number -- started turning up.

Put the baby's name in this context:

"All rise.
Hear ye, hear ye, the U.S. Court for the X District of State Y, The Honorable [baby name here] presiding, is now in session.
All having business before this honorable court draw near, give attention, and you shall be heard.
God bless the United States, and this honorable Court."

If the baby name doesn't fit nicely -- choose another. You are limiting the child's future.

We just chose names that sounded right.

Tom and Dan were the first two. Then someone suggested these were names taken straight from The Archers. So when Shula was born, we decided to break with tradition and call her Megan.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
My Wife was heavily pregnant with our first, and we did not have a clue as to what name we would like, it was late afternoon and the "Fonz" was on (which 28 years ago was a hugely watched programme) and as the credits rolled up Fonzies nephew was called "chachi" (something like that) but he was played by an actor called "Scott Biao" and at the same time we both said.........thats the boys name "SCOTT" and Scott it was

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Being the father of two beautiful English/Japanese kids I had to plump for something that works in both languages and cannot be shortened. Mei (pronounced May) and Mia.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
called my daughter raquel, after that actress sort.

called my boy dave.......after rodney :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here