Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How did we ever manage our lives without mobile phones?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I tried to get used to a mobile in 1997, the only trouble was that the only two places I could find in Seaford with reception were either on my allotment or on the beach!

Even now there are some pockets over here without reception, I think East Dean outside Eastbourne is one.

I got another mobile about 4 years ago, it's invaluable for country walks etc. But I try to use only the text facility, that can b gr8 fun...:)

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
..........and you could stuff paper up the phone box and go back later to collect all the fourpences that were trapped.Marvelous,marvelous days!

Life generally was good until the moment BT raised the minimum charge for a call from a phone box from 10p to 20p. The bastards.

Even worse was when they did away with those grey boxes which accepted 2ps - they were useful for getting someone to ring you back when the 2p ran out. Now, the minimum is a massive 40p - meaning you waste 8 shillings if you get an answerphone.

Last edited:

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
All those songs about people being stood up waiting outside the cinema. Wouldn't happen now - just a quick text: `not coming, dont luv u`

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
phones and bits of paper. if you were running late you stopped at a phone box or simply said sorry when you arrived......people had brains before mobiles:shrug:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
And if birds wanted to send you by letter a picture of them in their smalls they needed to either know someone with a polaroid or somebody who knew how to develop film otherwise the lads at the local Boots would leech at your pics when they were being developed.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I absolutely hated speaking to girlfriends on the landline phone at my parents house. Everyone listening to your conversations. No privacy.

yes its a bit of a pain when your trying to knock one out to cynthia on the other end as she has a asthma attack

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
A common question in my youth was, 'Are you on the phone?', as it was the exception...

'Oldie alert' :yawn:

Oh. :down: I looked at your location and i don't know Scotland very well. Are you not really in a beautiful spot (ie without mobile phone reception?)

I am in a beautiful spot (open views to lovely hills in front of the house, miles of woodland walking out of the back of the house), but it is only 15 miles from Glasgow city centre! So reception is fine.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
300px-Red_Public_Phone_Boxes_-_Covent_Garden%2C_London%2C_England_-_Thursday_September_Thirteenth_2007.jpg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A lot of planning was done verbally face to face. If you were going out and the bus didn't turn up or was late there was no way to inform mates or birds. There has been many a time I've been waiting by the wishing well at Churchill Square for an extra 20 minutes before giving up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here