Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How did we EVER learn the words to all these songs?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
But getting back to the point, just look, all those WORDS!!!! People somehow managed to deal with all those songs back then; why not now?

Course, Allll-bi-on, Allll-bi-on and Seagulls! Seagulls! (copyright, big screen 2011) may well be all you can manage when you've got to juggle yer mobile, yer iPod, yer Facebook and yer Twitter account while at a game.

Oh, and not forgetting yer mobile upload to Youtube of a lot of people going derr-der-de-derrr out of key at 100mph...

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
But getting back to the point, just look, all those WORDS!!!! People somehow managed to deal with all those songs back then; why not now?

Course, Allll-bi-on, Allll-bi-on and Seagulls! Seagulls! (copyright, big screen 2011) may well be all you can manage when you've got to juggle yer mobile, yer iPod, yer Facebook and yer Twitter account while at a game.

Oh, and not forgetting yer mobile upload to Youtube of a lot of people going derr-der-de-derrr out of key at 100mph...

:D:clap::clap::O

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
Stupid post.

We've OBVIOUSLY always needed a band of self-proclaimed 'ultras' to get the songs going. Only whatever meets their tastes gets sung, and they are 100% totally responsible for any atmosphere at an Albion game ever.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Stupid post.

We've OBVIOUSLY always needed a band of self-proclaimed 'ultras' to get the songs going. Only whatever meets their tastes gets sung, and they are 100% totally responsible for any atmosphere at an Albion game ever.

Broken-Record.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My, my, oh my, Powney's better than Yashin.
Dave Turner's better than Eusabio,
and Palace are in for a thrahing.

I don't remember this at all and it doesn't ring true. Palace were never our rivals when Powney and Turner were playing - the Palace rivalry didn't start until the mid-70s.

Plus "Daisy", "Molly Malone", "f*** 'em all", "You'll never walk alone" (complete with raised scarves) and "Knees up Mother Brown" I also remember from the old days. Can you imagine doing 'Knees up Mother Brown' or "You'll never walk alone" now? All the self-appointed song Nazis who pick apart every chant (and don't like that "We're the North stand the north stand the north stand" one because Palace also sing it) would all have forty fits.

Knees Up Mother Brown was fantastic, can't really be done in all-seater stadia. can you imagine the health and safety fanatics?

You never hear "You're a bastard, you're a bastard, referee" any more either - that always sounded much more menacing than "You don't know what you're doing"

Brighton are utterly rubbish at songs.
MANY are just awful dirges, and just because people sing aaa l llllll bbeeee oooonnn doesn't make it good.

Boring boring Brighton I'm afraid. The songs have gone downhill, and the best of the awful bunch is the "we're the left side/right side Brighton boys" which has to be sung for 20 minutes because it's the easiest one of all to sing.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't remember this at all and it doesn't ring true. Palace were never our rivals when Powney and Turner were playing - the Palace rivalry didn't start until the mid-70s.
The names were always interchangeable though. I remember singing about Steele and Ward being better than Yashin and Eusebio, and the "<insert name here> are in for a thrashing!" line could be changed every game, so Palace probably did get mentioned but like you I don't remember in specifically - and certainly not with those names.

Another one with an interchangeable team was "Tell me why, I don't like <team name>" to the tune of The Boomtown Rats "I don't like Mondays". Another one that was easy to learn as you just repeated the 'Tell me why' line three times and ended with "I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oot, the bastards down!"

Knees Up Mother Brown was fantastic, can't really be done in all-seater stadia. can you imagine the health and safety fanatics?
Never mind H&S it would be too much for our more boring and narrow-minded fans: "I've paid for my seat to sit in it and every so often my view is ruined by a load of yobs jumping up and down and singing a West Ham song!" Although from memory I think we'd Brighton-ised it by singing "Knees Up Brighton Town" (Although it would still fall foul of the Song Nazis who would point out that neither the team or the city are called 'Brighton Town')

Hope the NSK are reading this thread and getting some ideas!

Last edited:

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
My, my, oh my, Powney's better than Yashin.
Dave Turner's better than Eusabio,
and Palace are in for a thrahing.

great lyrics , to what tune was this ?

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
love this thread by the way. would love to hear some of the oldies be sung

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

It was all part of growing up in the North Stand. I went to a few games when I was younger and had no idea what was being sung. I asked my older brother and he told me. He learnt the words from my cousin, and he learnt the words from his cousin who had learnt the words from older mates and so on. When you could freely move about the North it was easy to get on the periphery of the singing and learn the words.

Now I am taking my 11 year old he wants to know what is being said and loves the whooooooo...... your shit arrrrgggghhhhhh, stand up if you hate Palace and also we're fu**ing brilliant songs. Usually I wouldn't let him swear but its football and that was when I started. At Withdean it was never an issue and maybe that lost generation will start to learn and sing some of the 'classics'.

Maybe next time I'll teach him my old man.......!!

I assume many a song was created and learnt on the old seagull specials??

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I'm pretty sure there's a website somewhere with the words to pretty much all Brighton songs and the reasons for some of the obscure ones. Is it something Tim Carder & co once did?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
You never hear "You're a bastard, you're a bastard, referee" any more either - that always sounded much more menacing than "You don't know what you're doing"

Couldnt agree more, what a load of old bollocks "you don't know what you're doing" is. "He's bald , he's bent his arse is up for rent, referee,referee" always used to amuse me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here