Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How de-motivating & dull is working from home?!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Hi,

Now I work from home & its the first time ive done it before, I thought I'd be the luckiest guy I know........chilled out, break when you want, flexible hours aslong as you get the job done.

But Im finding it so so so hard to feel motivated by it, Im a naturally lazy bast*** and find working hard enough as it is, as I see work as such a waste of time, that could be spent so so much better...but something that obviously needs/has to be done, so like everyone you just get on with it.

Now does anyone find themselves in a simular position and did they have the same issues with working from home?

In the currant climate, this may seem a little silly to whinge about my woe is me story, but its not put on here as a feel sorry for myself thread...just getting some feedback to share expiereinces...so please if anyone has lost a job recently, its not my fault!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think I'd feel the same, there's just too many things at home that are more interesting than working. Even here given that I'm in hours before anyone else I sometimes really struggle with motivation.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I've done it for the first time here and there recently. I can basically do a lot of my job without really needing to be in the office.

I actually got quite a lot done.

My advice, do what you have to do, then treat yourself to some xbox.

You'll get used to it I'm sure, put it this way.. it's better than being in the office.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I work from home full time too, and dont have any motivation problems any more, been doing it for 2.5 years now!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I think I'd feel the same, there's just too many things at home that are more interesting than working. Even here given that I'm in hours before anyone else I sometimes really struggle with motivation.

Yeah its a bit of a mare, its a flat too, so there isnt a real office spare room or anything like that, its just also not very condusive to working.

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
I've been working from home since the start of the year and at first I loved it because of the freedom it gives me to manage my time as I want to. The novelty soon wore off though and it became harder to motivate myself.

It might be wanky but I tend to wear my company logo polo shirt to remind myself I'm working and to show I am part of a team even though I'm not in the office. I always try to go to the shop for a paper first thing in the morning and return just before 9 so I still get the feeling of arriving for work.

Sometimes I reward myself on the hour for the previous hour's hard effort even if it's just a cuppa or some biscuits. Breaks the day up a bit. Sometimes I wander around my place for a few moments just comparing it in my mind to what it's like in the office having the bosses around clamping down on things and giving me extra things to do. I soon appreciate being in my own surroundings!

Best thing about working from home is no more Monday morning blues starting to creep in on Sunday afternoon!!!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Are you self employed or working for a firm that lets you work from home?

If you can't get any work done at home then:

a/ If you are self employed you wont earn any money and you will starve....

b/ If you work for someone else they will realise that you are doing nothing and yank you back to the office or possibly sack you....

Seriously I have been WFH for several years and yes it does take some time to getting used to it and some days I get less done than others. This week is a case in point as my wife is still on holiday and I can't settle to writing either the quote or the report which have to be out of the door PM. Still she is going out this afternoon so I will knuckle down (and stop browsing NSC etc.) to these when she does......

Incidentally it does help if you can work from an 'home office' rather than spreading all your paperwork & laptop all over the dining room table - consider converting a bedroom (or build an extension which is what we had done)

Having wasted so much money & so many hours doing the London commute over the years I would never consider anything but home working now.....

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Join the gang, it works like this;

Internet, walk the dog, clean the kitchen, push some paper around, then end up working all night and weekends to hit deadlines.

Beware the dangers of NSC, The county ground Hove, Bristol Rovers away on Tuesday and Trisha Goodard at 10.30, and as someone mentions being freelance and getting money to support such a lifestyle.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wfh one or two days a week, depending on what I have to do. WEBEX and teleconferencing as well as broadband have dramatically changed my life. Motivation is something you will get used to.

I used to travel every day to london and now once a month is more the norm ( although I do drive to Bracknell and Hounslow on a weekly basis) Crawley is my nearest office so I can work there which is great.( means I can go for a swim on a lunch time too)

the only thing I do miss is the cameraderie of a busy office...social interaction etc. It can be pretty soul destroying at home on your own staring at a computer screen, although the offices I work at have space for between 200 and 2000 people and more often as not there are 3 of us in the office, which is like working on the marie celeste sometimes

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I've got a deal with the boss where I can work at home up to twice a week, but I much prefer to be in the office.
I simply do not get as much work done at home and as I am very busy at the moment I know that I have to be in the office if I'm to meet all my objectives.
Home just has too many temptations (xbox, internet, tv etc) and I'm just not diciplined enough.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Glad I'm not the only who wonders whether working from home is always better!

I do love the fact I don't waste time travelling to and from an office. That's the positive side. But the negative is the inability to get away from all the stuff that needs doing at home like washing, cleaning, washing-up etc. When there's a lot of work on, that drives me nuts. I'd much rather be able to head out for the day and just accept that the chores will have to wait.

If my partner's been at her work all day, I'd feel guilty about her coming back to a really messy place... but the upshot is, my working time ends up being halved. A bit of a no-win from that point of view.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I get more done at home because once you get going you get more done as no one else distracts you. However as mentioned already it is those distractions that make working in an office more pleasurable.

Spoitfy is good as you can set up playlists, Radio 6 is also good, I love it when the Cricket is on either TMS or John Lees. I work a lot away so my time at home always feels good and a relief to get away from all the demands.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm quite happy when I work from home and find motivation not too much of an issue. I've turned the spare bedroom into an office though, so distractions are minimal, but will have music playing all day. I generally find I get much more done in a shorter time, so don't feel too guilty if I take a break at any time. The best bit is falling out of bed at 0859 instead of 0520.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am self employed/ltd company in training, so I work in various locations over the country. Right now things are slow so I should be catching up on loads of paperwork, my accounts and preparing for meetings in London later this week, but I am pratting around wasting time, been down the open market shopping and I doubt I will get much done until the David Byrne concert tonight. Which means I am not earning today

My wife sitting behind me in our spare room/office edits books and writes articles mainly on photography. I envy her because she can do it all from home and when she works away, its mainly in London. However she is swearing right now over some book numbering..

I did it for several years on and off but didn't like it overall.

It depends on your circumstances but with kids, a wife and a dog as distractions, it was difficult at times to focus on what I was supposed to be doing, particularly during the school hols.

I found it difficult to discipline myself to start and finish at 'normal' office hours and would too easily decide to watch the telly or whatever instead of doing my work.

Now I have a nice little office 15 minutues from home which is MUCH better. I have something to motivate me in the mornings in terms of 'having' to go to work but I still have the flexibility to start late or leave early if necessary.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
It's nice that some of you peeps have a choice. I could do everything I need to do at home but work in a corporate culture where the ''kaisha'' like to keep tabs on everyone ALL THE TIME. I wouldn't miss the social interaction in the office because most of the people I work with are manic depressive emotional retards. Still, mustn't grumble, I have a job that pays quite well and isn't really that demanding. Ho-hum

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here