Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How connected do you feel to the club's values?

How connected do you feel to the Albion?

• As the Albion change, I feel more connected

Votes: 41 15.5%
  • Things are largely the same as they ever were

Votes: 59 22.3%
  • As the Albion change, I feel more disconnected

Votes: 118 44.5%
  • I don't care - I just want to watch some football

Votes: 47 17.7%

• Total voters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You need to relax more! You paint a picture that big brother is monitoring your every activity. Just get on with you life. The only ones that need to worry are those that commit the crimes.

....and Liberty will quote people like the birmingham six and guilford four who were found in the appeal court to have been stitched up by the police force at the time, so defeating the argument of your last statement. One of them dying in prison I seem to recall.

There are many people on both devides who argue long into the night over the effectiveness of cctv and the fact that people watch over huge parts of our lives.

I slump my drunken body over the fence on this one.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
exactly. I do not feel one little bit connected with these present owners. I get on well with Richard Hebbard and Paul C and dodge, but the rest of them...shame harty and I are not doing the radio anymore....we could fill up a whole show with this question.

"oh and aaarold" another good point here- god I really miss harty on the radio. He did help keep us feel more connected to club. Please can we start a campaign to bring back harty- even get him a slot on seahaven FM on match days:albion2:

swervy_123

Dec 2, 2009
brighton
Neither did previous generations have to contend with suicide bombers on the London Underground, shoplifters ( which isn't a victimless crime as some might suggest ), muggings, knife related gang crime, the increasing use of firearms in robberies, vehicle crime, internet grooming of children, drug smuggling, (cameras are going to stop it are they dont think so , we have more ctv than ever but society gets worse; previous generations had to contend with world wars and real hardships they just got on with it. theres always been crime are we really so much safer with with camerers,The reason we have all the above is because of weak politicans and liberal thinking

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When I tilt my head to the right, it looks like this poll is flipping me off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was this ever divulged ???

No, but I'm happy to do so now.

I sometimes post polls where I feel the noise generated by a small but loud moaning minority can leave an impression that a lot of Albion fans are aggrieved by a particular issue. That's pretty much what I did here, expecting to see a massively positive result.

I am genuinely surprised that c45% feel they are becoming disconnected from the club.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I sometimes post polls where I feel the noise generated by a small but loud moaning minority can leave an impression that a lot of Albion fans are aggrieved by a particular issue. That's pretty much what I did hear, expecting to see a massive positive result.

I am genuinely surprised that c45% feel they are becoming disconnected from the club.

I wonder if it was driven by circumstances though? Just as calls for an away end are loudest when we've just lost to Palace so perhaps the combination of Newcastle tickets (which with the booking fee some feel are too expensive when the match is on free-to-air TV), more aggressive stewarding of the North Stand but not the away fans, and the apparent clamp-down on the transfer of season tickets has had an effect? (And I appreciate that some of those were announced after the poll started, but not before everyone voted)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wonder if it was driven by circumstances though? Just as calls for an away end are loudest when we've just lost to Palace so perhaps the combination of Newcastle tickets (which with the booking fee some feel are too expensive when the match is on free-to-air TV), more aggressive stewarding of the North Stand but not the away fans, and the apparent clamp-down on the transfer of season tickets has had an effect? (And I appreciate that some of those were announced after the poll started, but not before everyone voted)

Maybe. I certainly believe it's human nature that people are more likely to go out of their way to moan than to praise.

Maybe. I certainly believe it's human nature that people are more likely to go out of their way to moan than to praise.

Quite correct, a customer service study I read states that if you have a bad experience you will tell between 7 and 10 people, but a good one and you will only tell 3 to 5.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I mock the whiners who moan about pie costs, when the game is on after lunch and before teatime.
Do without, you FAT bastards.

I chuckle less at twats wanting standing, and moaning about stewards in the Norf. Tossers it's the ground's feckin RULES. Get a clue ffs.

About the footer, it's not all roses but I have faith we can last and rise, and we can't expect to run away with the league every season. No nitpicking will change my faith in our long term - we have a superb history even for the past decade!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To be honest, I still love the Albion. The cost of food is not problem. If I really want a pie and a pint, its not vastly overpriced when compared to most retailers. I do, however, feel that in some cases the quality of merchandise is absolute tosh. Some things, like the A4 leather folder, some of the tops etc are really good quality, but things like the pin badges, crappy printed iPhone/Android phone cases, iron on logo's on tops instead of the much nicer embroidered ones, the pint glass (of which I have owned 3 now and all of them broke when washing them up) are of a really low standard.

No obviously I don't have to buy them (and I won't) but there's a difference between mass produced items that still feel like quality, and mass produced tat which I think is a lot of the shops content at the moment.

On the football front, I have no problems either. I am very happy with the way we play and (in the main) the players we have. I am also very happy with Gus, Tanno and the staff in general.

I do however feel that ticket prices are very high for my personal finances and £39 for a ticket to a televised match, to be honest, is not something I can afford. If it were £25, I'd go. Nearly £40 is massive and more expensive than most top flight clubs. Again, I understand the logic behind higher prices, we have a fantastic stadium that needs to be paid for, but I guarantee that prices won't drop when its paid off. I have fears that we will end up pricing out our own fans.

My season ticket is about £650, which is ok price-wise but right at the top end of my budget.

I am also proud to be associated with a club that does to much in the community too.

So all in all, yes I feel more disconnected than I was in the past, but I understand the decisions the club is making so don't hold it against Brighton for making sensible business decisions.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

I sometimes post polls where I feel the noise generated by a small but loud moaning minority can leave an impression that a lot of Albion fans are aggrieved by a particular issue. That's pretty much what I did here, expecting to see a massively positive result.

I suspected as much Bozza. I think for many long-standing fans, we are delighted with the stadium, the matchday experience and the team. For me, it's never been better and I look forward to games more than I ever have in 40+ years following the team. In the end, though, the reason we expend much money, time and emotional effort in the Albion is because we identify with and care about the club as part of our local community. The reason we put up with Gillingham, Withdean, all the crap facilities and crap players was that we believed we were (slowly) moving forward with the club and that we trusted the club to make decisions that were in all our best interests. I know that the club has had to change and act more professionally and commercially to run the Amex successfully. But I think this has to be done without breaking that bond of trust between club and fans. If we feel this is changing, then it's right and proper that we challenge this and use NSC, TSLR and the channels of communication that the club (admirably) has open.

Ticket prices are an issue for many people, but for me it's the duplicity of a number of ticketing issues that is challenging this trust:

- selling more expensive tickets first when cheaper tickets are unsold
- promoting match pack tickets with a Boxing Day fixture they knew was likely to change
- promoting the auto-enrol cup scheme before the prices were announced and implying that you had to do this to guarantee your seat
- charging a booking fee per ticket for the auto-enrol (without making this clear)
- issues around the NSC ticket exchange and increasing the cost of issuing duplicates
- totally mis-reading the market for the Newcastle game (in my view)

Truth is, I just don't trust the club on ticketing issues anymore.

The aggressive stewarding in the North Stand also says: 'we don't trust you as fans'.

PG

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I get a bit grumpy about little things that the club does. Then again I get grumpy at just about everything as I get older.
The replacement ticket/card cost annoys me but then I quite like the fact we have a 120 million pound stadium and the best team in 20 years.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Oh and this

- promoting match pack tickets with a Boxing Day fixture they knew was likely to change
- promoting the auto-enrol cup scheme before the prices were announced and implying that you had to do this to guarantee your seat
- charging a booking fee per ticket for the auto-enrol (without making this clear)
- issues around the NSC ticket exchange and increasing the cost of issuing duplicates

I suspected as much Bozza. I think for many long-standing fans, we are delighted with the stadium, the matchday experience and the team. For me, it's never been better and I look forward to games more than I ever have in 40+ years following the team. In the end, though, the reason we expend much money, time and emotional effort in the Albion is because we identify with and care about the club as part of our local community. The reason we put up with Gillingham, Withdean, all the crap facilities and crap players was that we believed we were (slowly) moving forward with the club and that we trusted the club to make decisions that were in all our best interests. I know that the club has had to change and act more professionally and commercially to run the Amex successfully. But I think this has to be done without breaking that bond of trust between club and fans. If we feel this is changing, then it's right and proper that we challenge this and use NSC, TSLR and the channels of communication that the club (admirably) has open.

Ticket prices are an issue for many people, but for me it's the duplicity of a number of ticketing issues that is challenging this trust:

The aggressive stewarding in the North Stand also says: 'we don't trust you as fans'.

PG

Best post on this forum for many a day and probably sums up the feeling of many people but more importantly explains why we are feeling this way - let's hope the club learn from this.

Jan 30, 2008
There's a lot of talk, much of it justifiable, about the changing face of the Albion.

Bit by bit, the slightly Fawlty Towers-eque cottage industry Albion of old is being replaced by a lean, mean, money-making machine.

Do you feel connected to the values of the Albion?
if you've got nothing else in your life then i suppose you would say yes ? for me i'me just another number filling a seat , not for me in the long run .

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

PG

That, sir, is my view to a 'T'. Well said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here