Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How come tescos are making so much money?

Shop local, get your veggies delivered direct from the grower. I stopped going to supermarkets about 6 months ago and reckon I save about £20 a week, plus using local shops etc helps build up a sense of community.
If the supermarkets get their way the whole country will end up looking like Croydon.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
beorhthelm said:
What a crap argument: We're forced to shop at Tescos because of long working hours. If Tesco can open late so can any other shop. And if you shorten the working day, thats going to effect the openeing times of shops too. What did people do 20 years ago?

Fact is that Tesco et al (lets not blame one company) have pushed out the traditional shop and the markets precisely because they are more flexible in their opening times and the range of goods they provide.

20 years ago I shopped in Tescos.. In fact, 30 years ago I shopped in Tescos.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
beorhthelm said:
What a crap argument: We're forced to shop at Tescos because of long working hours. If Tesco can open late so can any other shop. And if you shorten the working day, thats going to effect the openeing times of shops too.

But the other shops don't: that's the point.

I stand by what I said, people shop at supermarkets because they have no choice. It's no good talking about hypotheticals, I'm talking about reality.

Little Piggy

Oct 27, 2003
Ireland
Everyone is forgetting about the fact that even if Tescos is cheaper, some of the meat and veg is AWFUL. THAT is the cheap stuff.

Anythig haf decent is called "Tesco Finest" or organic, comes in a pretty packet and costs a lot more than a shop.

I remember a programme about a year ago which took two families, one a busy working one and one a pair of hippies. The hippies only went to local and "Special food" shops and the busy family went to Tesco. The programme made them swap for a week or 2.

The busy working family nearly had a nervous breakdown, the hippies loved Tesco for their range and always go there now. I think thats just the way it is nowadays.

I shop in other shops as I am young, single and have time to do it but I know many people can't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here