Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can we NOT get promoted?

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
What needs to happen to prevent us from going up?

LuaLua being recalled in January? He wasn't involved in arguably our finest performance of the season today.

Poyet leaves mid-season? Falmer

Other key personnel leaving? Why would you want to leave this squad? Seriously how could you progress by leaving today's Brighton?

I suppose injuries to key players is the answer.

If we keep this squad, we could see consecutive promotions!!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Shhhhh. Shut up already. Talk about counting your chickens. Yes we have a good chance of going up but if we're still top in April THEN you can start getting out the champers.

sotonseagull

Feb 8, 2008
southampton
why have this post?!

Were only in October!! People need to slow down. Yes we are doing very well but promotion...leave these threads in the last quarter of the season, not first.

Its a very long season and a hell of a lot of matches to play yet.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Leeds nearly f***ed it up after being miles ahead at one point. Way too early to talk about finishing as certain Champions. Just enjoy the here and now

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Be a bit concerned if the Newcastle job came up as rumoured. Is that little shit Wise still there?

Yea i heard that Houghton's contract expires in the summer.God i hope not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What needs to happen to prevent us from going up?

LuaLua being recalled in January? He wasn't involved in arguably our finest performance of the season today.
But Lua Lua's mere presence in the squad means that the opposing manager sends out a team to contain his threat. On more than one occasion, they've been wrong footed and overrun in midfield and upfront as KLL sits on the bench. If KLL goes back, our first XI becomes more predictable.

Poyet leaves mid-season? Falmer
Gus is only going to walk if one of maybe ten jobs come up. It's not worth him leaving for pretty much any other job really.

Other key personnel leaving? Why would you want to leave this squad? Seriously how could you progress by leaving today's Brighton?
We'd need silly money offers before anyone is let go. It aint happening.

I suppose injuries to key players is the answer.
Spot on. The biggest threat, as with any squad in this division. At least with this squad, we've got quality cover in every position.

If we keep this squad, we could see consecutive promotions!!
I'd agree with this too. A strengthened midfield (Kish will be too old next year for a start), a quality keeper, and a seasoned striker and we're in business.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I posted the following on another thread but it applies here equally if not more so.

We are getting better, our players are part of a team that is growing in stature & confidence week by week & Gus has then all well drilled & playing the best football of ANY club in this league (and quite probably many in the league above)
Yes we have to be mindful that we don't get too carried away but with our manager having the total respect of his players & every single one of them playing his way there is nothing to fear from Huddersfield or Southampton. Sheffield Wednesday beat us but they won't do it again as if I remember correctly they benefitted from a rather dubious referee as did Bournemouth & Rochdale.
We are growing into a club which has a very bright future & Gus has the opportunity to really make his name as a manager here with the full support of a chairman who will let him mould the club in his own image, he will stay until the job is complete & we are in The Premiership so I am not worried about him going, he won't. He won't get another club which will offer him such an opportunity to make it his own. He is also a man with ethics & moral standards so unless it really is an unbelieveable opportunity he will stay the course where he has made a club jsut the way he wants it & capable of challenging for honours.
This league is ours for the taking & take it we will. We have a team who are perfecting their craft playing for a manager they love, nobody else in this league has that. We are going up as champions and will also have the basis for a good 1st season in The Championship before winning promotion the following season to The Premiership.
Thats my belief.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Too early, but looking good and that 8 point gap must be unprecedented at this stage of the season.

In the previous ten seasons in this division only five teams have reached 30 points after 14 games (Leeds with 33 points the most).

Luton in 2004 and Wigan in 2002 won the division at a canter

Leeds last year scraped up in second.

Brentford in 2001 and Huddersfield in 2005 ended up in the play-offs and didn't get promoted.

Seasider

Jul 9, 2003
Maidenhead
Too early, but looking good and that 8 point gap must be unprecedented at this stage of the season.

In the previous ten seasons in this division only five teams have reached 30 points after 14 games (Leeds with 33 points the most).

Luton in 2004 and Wigan in 2002 won the division at a canter

Leeds last year scraped up in second.

Brentford in 2001 and Huddersfield in 2005 ended up in the play-offs and didn't get promoted.

so once every other year then a team starts this well, yes we are doing well, really well but nothing achieved yet

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
At present I don't think we have cover in the squad for Calderon, Painter or Murray, we must hope that those three stay free of long term injuries and suspensions.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
At present I don't think we have cover in the squad for Calderon, Painter or Murray, we must hope that those three stay free of long term injuries and suspensions.

el abd can cover the full backs and dunk and elphick the centre backs.

if murray has an issue, play barnes on his own and grab a few draws until murray comes back.

none of these are real problems.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
el abd can cover the full backs and dunk and elphick the centre backs.

if murray has an issue, play barnes on his own and grab a few draws until murray comes back.

none of these are real problems.

Both Calderon and Painter do a lot of good work in the opposition's half of the pitch, I'm a great admirer of El-Abd but I don't think that's his game. For right back Bennett may be a better option, he's played well there before. Unfortunately grabbing a few draws will not be good enough if Murray has a long term injury. I would like to see a left sided full back and a striker brought in during the next transfer window. It looks as if we are in with a shout of promotion , we may have to wait a long time if we don't make a 100% effort this season.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Much too early - not a third of the way through yet. Start talking of it in March.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Both Calderon and Painter do a lot of good work in the opposition's half of the pitch, I'm a great admirer of El-Abd but I don't think that's his game. For right back Bennett may be a better option, he's played well there before. Unfortunately grabbing a few draws will not be good enough if Murray has a long term injury. I would like to see a left sided full back and a striker brought in during the next transfer window. It looks as if we are in with a shout of promotion , we may have to wait a long time if we don't make a 100% effort this season.

Ifs and buts. Cheer up will you, we are in with more than a shout of promotion! Leeds were only 6 points clear this time last season we are 8, nobody has been 8 points clear after 14 games! However being sensible we only need 20 odd points to avoid relegation this season and it's still October

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus could go to Man City...I reckon the wheels might come off then? (sorry,being a long time Albion fan I am finding it hard to believe that there only good things happening at the moment)

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
far too early to start using the p word

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
How could we not?

1) If the sort of certainty that's evident on here starts infecting the players.
2) Bad run of injuries.
3) Poyet poached by big club. Unlikely, yes, but not impossible.

But most likely of all, 4) We WILL have a bad run at some point this season, it's absolutely inevitable. There will be games, particularly at home, where if we're behind and the players are still playing the ball across the back there will, inevitably, be a div or divs who can't keep their mouths shut and start yelling at them to get it forward. Maybe the players' instincts will be to do exactly that when things are not going well.

So I would also urge no more than enjoying the sheer bliss of performances like yesterday's at the moment, rather than getting ahead of ourselves. Certainly before we start thinking about going straight through the Championship, FFS. Calderon's barnstorming play would get utterly exposed and become a major weak point in the Championship, for example, so we'd need to temper the way we play in that respect.

I'm going to remember Charlton and yesterday for many, many years no matter what happens this season, so let's just be glad for what we've got rather than greedy for what we may yet have, shall we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here