Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Brighton (and Hove) are you take the test...

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

Biscuit said:
How Brighton (and Hove) are you take the test...

No... this is a "How old are you" test.
Your, not very
.............answers tomorrow nscers and badges for those with over 75%

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
1) What used to be below the clock tower.? Toilets
2) What Station was in between London Road and Kemp Town?. Lewes Road Brighton Station and Hartlington Road Halt
3) What year did the Marina open? HM the Queen performed the opening in in May 1979.
4) What date did the Grand blow up? 12/10/84
5) What year did did Ballyreagan Bob break a world record at Hove? 9th December 1985
6) What year did the Hangleton Bypass open? 1996 (Southwick tunnel was 2 years late!)
7) Which Derby winning trainer was Born in Hove? John Gosden
8) Which Beatle spent the first night of his 1960's honeymoon in Hove. Ringo Star - 1965
9) What was Hove's Red Lion Pub formerly called? The Seahorse
10) Who was Martha Gunn? A dipper. Helper/attendant to female bathers using bathing machines.
11) Where did that lying !!!! Bellotti say he had permission to build a Stadium? Toads Hole Valley
12) Is there a secret passage between the Pavillion and the Dome? Yes. The tunnel to Miss Fitz. is a myth.
13) How many platforms at Brighton Station in the 1970's? 8
14) What famous replica is in Dyke Road? The Hove Cup (Amber cup in Booth Museum)
15) What famous depository used to be in Buckingham Road? Book depository

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
1) What used to be below the clock tower.? Toilets
2) What Station was in between London Road and Kemp Town?. Lewes Road Halt and Hartlington Road Halt
3) What year did the Marina open? Officially 1979
4) What date did the Grand blow up? 12th October 1984
5) What year did did Ballyreagan Bob break a world record at Hove? 9th December 1985
6) What year did the Hangleton Bypass open? 1996
7) Which Derby winning trainer was Born in Hove? ....
8) Which Beatle spent the first night of his 1960's honeymoon in Hove. Ringo Starr
9) What was Hove's Red Lion Pub formerly called? The Seahorse
10) Who was Martha Gunn? A dipper. Person who used to dip people in the sea from bathing machines. I'm currently teaching one of her descendents.
11) Where did that lying !!!! Bellotti say he had permission to build a Stadium? Toads Hole Valley
12) Is there a secret passage between the Pavillion and the Dome? Yes.
13) How many platforms at Brighton Station in the 1970's? 10 (Platform 9 is the other side of 8 and closed in 83, 10 is now whwere the drop off point and bike stands are and was originally for trains to Kemp Town).
14) What famous replica is in Dyke Road? Charity Shield
15) What famous depository used to be in Buckingham Road? .....

Jul 20, 2003
seeing as everyone knows it's there can it still be called a secret passage?

Oct 25, 2003
isn't there also a tunnel to woodingdean where fitz also lived?

btw i am very brighton & hove, but these are all OLD questions so its more "who has lived in brighton & hove the longest"

Last edited:

Fitzy's house at the junction of North Street and New Road became Crabbs, and then the Peter Dominic offy in later times. My Dad worked at Crabbs and was the manager at Dominic's.

Where I also worked during holidays etc.

The secret passage was used as a place to store the great collection of wines held by the wine merchants.

In my youth, I walked along the lenght of the passage to be under the Pavillion.

Later on the Police (Govt and other authorities) requested that a wall was built mid way along the passage.

LC

D

Deleted User X18H

ok

1) Lavs
2) Hartington Road (Lewes Road accepted)
3) 1979 HMQ
4) 12/10/84
5) 1986
6) late 1991
7) John Gosden
8) Ringo Starr
9) The Mary Packs (no one got this)
10) bathing lady/ dipper
11) Toads Hole Valley
12) yes
13) 9 in the 1970's
14) the 1910 Charity Sheild
15) Buckingham Road Maternity Hospital

patchamsmostwanted

Jul 15, 2004
Shanghai/Brighton
On the subject of secret passages there is one running from the back garden of a house in Victoria Place down to the church in Upper North Street.

And on the subject of Martha Gunn, she is allegedly my great great great great great great great grandmother. I never got to meet her though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here