Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How are these transfers being funded? Cash or finance?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Of couse it matters. One of the criticisms aimed at clubs that have gone into admin (eg Portsmouth) is that the supporters didn't question how big transfers and high wages were funded.
And given our history of overspending in the 80's and the twenty years of hardship that followed it's entirely reasonable to ask questions about the clubs finances.

A reasonable question yes, but you cannot possibly compare the 80s to now. A different board (yes I know the Blooms have a long history on the board) with different values. I just can't see us building what we have, and losing it all in administration. TB is not just a gambler, but a highly successful business man too.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
A reasonable question yes, but you cannot possibly compare the 80s to now. A different board (yes I know the Blooms have a long history on the board) with different values. I just can't see us building what we have, and losing it all in administration. TB is not just a gambler, but a highly successful business man too.

I'm not trying to suggest that there's anything to be worried about, what i'm saying is that questioning the financial health of the club is a good and proper thing, especially given our history. We have only just left an athletics stadium that when it comes down to it we ended up in because of financial mismanagement over 2 decades ago.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I have every confidence that the club's finances are well managed... stop with all the worrying over what is very good news... if we want to be successful in the Championship, then it means spending big money... we are not a tin-pot club any more, live with it... OK?

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
I have a lot of faith in Tony, he's too good a businessman and cares about the club too much to screw things up.

Also, whether or not he's funding these transfers directly, he already has a massive financial incentive to ensure that we are on a sound footing. If we go bust, his £100m investment is worth nothing; if we get to the Premier League in good financial health he has a chance of making it back.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Averaging out the season ticket prices (allowing for concessions) say £35 x 16500 = £577,500 per month. That's over half a million per month coming in.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Is Bloom bank rolling the transfers, loaning the cash to the club or are the club borrowing the money from banks?

PayPal by all accounts.

or

16,000 season tickets sold at an average £500 pa plus £4.8 m coming our way for being in the Championship, which makes a total of approx £12.8m. Therefore £1m on Bill Wuckley seems a small drop in the ocean, well less than 8%.

TNBA

TTF

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
16,000 season tickets sold at an average £500 pa plus £4.8 m coming our way for being in the Championship, which makes a total of approx £12.8m. Therefore £1m on Bill Wuckley seems a small drop in the ocean, well less than 8%.

TNBA

TTF

Then factor in wages

The average championship wage is supposedly somewhere around 5.8K per week (on 52 weeks), so, that's around 300k per year. Since it's the average, we can say 24 man squad at 300k = £7.2m in squad wages a year.

Then you have to pay for the electricity and water at the stadium, the coaching staff need wages, as do the hundreds of employees, I believe there are annual registration fees with the FA, As have been highlighted, transfers are no paid in lump sums, they are paid in installments, so we are probably still paying for signings from the previous years.

That £12.8m from season tickets quickly starts to disappear.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Is this a serious question? Bloom has bankrolled a stadium to the tune of at least £70m plus is looking at a further £17m on a training ground and you are worried about a £1m transfer fee!!!!

No Drew! You need to look beyond that one £1m transfer. Look beyond the end of you nose and to the future. To sustain and move up the league and into the premier league, money needs to be generated. I am intrested to know how they plan to put all that into place.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Speculate to accumulate, within reason... some people still don't seem to have got their heads round the fact that we are now a Championship club with a Championship-level infrastructure... this means Championship-level revenues, costs and, yes, that includes fees and wages...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You forgot the Palace option, five pence in the pound.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Didn't Dick once say that the difference in TV and prize money between the championship and League 1 was something like 3 million, There is a couple of signings straight away, then there is the cash saved from Judas wages, Bennetts transfer, increase in arses on seats.

As has been said if the club goes bust then Tony loses the lot as he is the main (if not sole) creditor of the club. He is hardly likely to take the club to court for unpaid bills and then offer himself 1p in the pound for his investment. All the time he is the only one putting large amounts of cash into the club we have nothing to worry about. Even if another shareholder put in a million and then wanted it back at short notice Tony would pay it out of his pocket if the club didn't have it as it protects his investment.

And remember what's a season in the PL worth? 80 million or something stupid like that isnt it when all the extra parachute payments after are added back in. Do a Blackpool, dont break the bank and he could have half his debt wiped out in a season. Do a Fulham and the club could be totally debt free to Tony in 5-6 years

The club will have weighed up incomes and outgoings. The playing staff numbers are supposed to be reduced, so that higher division wages are availed to less staff. I imagine that it'll be still more expensive to be playing at a higher level - but tempered by sponsor investments, tickets, shirt/etc club shop sales, tv, increased attendances even after season tickets, events and extra-curricular entertainment.

Selling players will bring in more dough to counter purchases - but you don't see us splashing on big names or their wage demands! Not even murray got offered as much as a rival club with less pulling power were prepared to punt on his un-proven abilities at a higher level - we're just not being run by cavalier methods now as with the past decade!

What we're seeing is potentially superior players drafted in who have greater possibility exuding from their pores than the ones allowed to leave. It's quite probable we could do better than just survive without even bringing in one new face!
Caskey and Adgesteine could make the step into the first team, to name just two.
Of course, losing players brings a need to strengthen in those positions and not just sigh 'oh well' - but they had that taken into account and acted on before those events even transpired!

I hope that Tony Bloom and other investors who've put their faith on the table, are rewarded in spades. They earned a profit just by standing up and taking their chances. If they get riches from it, I still add my thanks on top of that without reservation.
I have faith that these people mean well, and I wish them all they dream of from it - particularly in enjoying the ride!
Life isn't always about 'profit' in terms of money either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here