Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hove Advice Please

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Whats that pub called at the bottom of Holland rd in Hove?

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Thats it.Thank you

I agree about the Ashoka. Superb. It gets crowded, though. I was in there once and it was so crowded they had to get people to share tables. That was a bit irritating, until it turned out that the bloke who was made to sit next to me was ... Liam Brady.

Oct 25, 2003
i think the resaurants in hove are generally better than those in brighton

ashoka is brill, can't think of any chinese's as i don't particularly like it, ashoka however is my fave indian in the city

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ashoka is excellent, one of the best Indians in B&H (the best is the Bayleaf Brasserie but I think that's just in Brighton).

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Jello said:
I think the Ashoka now has a late bar underneath, or it may be the Ganges next door, can't remember I was drunk :jester:

The Ganges has a late bar in the basement. IMHO the Ganges is the best curry house in B&H and is certainly better than the Ashoka.:wave:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The Alibi is a good pub, its on the seafront, next to the King Alfred leisure centre.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Jonathon Livingstone said:
The Ganges has a late bar in the basement. IMHO the Ganges is the best curry house in B&H and is certainly better than the Ashoka.:wave:

Totally agree 100%, miles better than Ashoka

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Cricketers is a nice pub, but maybe a little souless. If it's dry head for Hove Place Tavern (if you can find it, its got a very small frontage set back from the road - 1st avenue). The beer garden has heaters. If it's wet I would go for the Albion, friendly type of place.

If you fancy a little wander (15 mins) head for the lion and lobster just off Western Road in Brighton. Top selection of beer (lager and ale) and quite likely to have live music playing. If you want some cocktails I would reccomend the bee's mouth which is a little gallery/bar just into western road. Got an outrageous amount of alcohol for £4.50 last time I was in there.

Jul 20, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Hove Advice Please

The Laughing Bluebird said:
Where is it in relation to the cricket ground?

The Conqueror is a 5 minute stroll towards Brighton

From the Cricket ground head seawards down to Palmeira Square, head left along Western Road, past the Bisuit factory (very noisy), past the Freemasons Arms (bit more glam and again very noisy, normally heaving and prone to being a bit 'bling') carry on up Western Road and you'll get to The Juggler (friendly boozer with a nasty habit of having Trance Djs on Friday night and dubious beer quality)turn left just at the Juggler, down the hill to the Old Market Theatre and the Conqueror's sign should be visible

ah the Conqueror...........

what a smashing little pub you are

:drink:

The Lion and Lobster's been mentioned earlier in this thread, that's another good pub, although it's in Brighton, just. The Robin Hood is also in that neck of the woods - another good boozer and a pub that donates it's profits to local charities - which is a nice touch.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
I always rated the Ashoka until I went there on my last birthday and we all agreed it was shit. Watery sauces and flavours not as they should be. Maybe we just hit a bad night.
Best curry house in town is Curry Mahal on Portland Road in my book.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oooh YEAH, the Conqueror is probably the best pub in the whole of Brighton and Hove. Go there! The Ashoka is a decent curry house, the Ganges makes you poo lots.

I like the Greenhouse Effect as a pub, the Pilsner is there gets you proper nutted but in a good way.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Re: Re: Hove Advice Please

pevenseagull said:
PUB: Conqueror - (and if you're in there Friday evening I would like to add you owe me a beer)

I'll try to find it. Keep an eye out for me and you might get that beer - if it's cheap.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Much appreciated.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hove Advice Please

pevenseagull said:
The Conqueror is a 5 minute stroll towards Brighton

From the Cricket ground head seawards down to Palmeira Square, head left along Western Road, past the Bisuit factory (very noisy), past the Freemasons Arms (bit more glam and again very noisy, normally heaving and prone to being a bit 'bling') carry on up Western Road and you'll get to The Juggler (friendly boozer with a nasty habit of having Trance Djs on Friday night and dubious beer quality)turn left just at the Juggler, down the hill to the Old Market Theatre and the Conqueror's sign should be visible

Turn right downhill at The Juggler not left, I'll be in there at some point over the weekend so maybe see you. :drink

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Jonathon Livingstone said:

what he said. definitely a better place than ashoka, which is actually very good!

pubs: conqueror, coopers cask, freemasons (at a stretch), the sussex,
the albion or the jugglers

restos: saucy (not as good as it was), latinos (good spanish, italian), otellos (my local fave italian), orsinos (ditto), okinami (nice japanese).

breakfast: real eating co near palmeira square. delicious (but be prepared to extend your mortgage!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here