Housing Benefit Cuts?

HB Cuts - good or bad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
But actually, as somebody who has worked in housing for over 20 years - the fact is that most HB claimants in London are pensioners and most people who claim benefits only do so for six months on average. So really how does the policy look in the light of this? Evict all pensioners away from their families after they have worked low paid jobs all of their life. Evict people (often with children at local schools) while they temporarily claim benefits until they get on their feet

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
But actually, as somebody who has worked in housing for over 20 years - the fact is that most HB claimants in London are pensioners and most people who claim benefits only do so for six months on average. So really how does the policy look in the light of this? Evict all pensioners away from their families after they have worked low paid jobs all of their life. Evict people (often with children at local schools) while they temporarily claim benefits until they get on their feet

Like Janee I have worked in public sector housing for 20 years, in several capacities including Housing Benefits and as a support worker. Janee is right about a large number of HB claimants being penisoners and about people being unemployed for relatively short periods of time.

The point i'd make in addition is that most HB claimants actually work and get HB as a top up to their low wages. Most of the people we are talking about are not teh so called "scroungers" talked about elsewhere. Instead they are working class people either on low wages or having lost their jobs through redundancy in a recession.

They dont choose to live in a rich areas they cant afford. They choose to live where they can afford and either rents go up or their personal circumstances change.

Its bad enough that unemployment is set to soar, but if losing yoru job means you will no longer be able to keep your family housed the tragedy is doubled.

Which leads to another point. By the nature of the level of rent it will be famiy sized acoomodation that will be hit worse. If families are made homeless who will pay for the children to have somewhere to live. Are the tories suggesting children should pitch up tents on Clapham Common?

The state will have to intervene and spend larger amounts either housing families in expensive temporary accommodation or take children into care. If you lose your home to rent arrears you are unable to get council housing, Instead the children face getting taken into care. It costs more than a place in Eton to take a child into care. Rather ironic considering the originators of this policy know all too well how much a place in Eton costs.

Only a moron or the upper classes could think of this policy, In this case they are both.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The point i'd make in addition is that most HB claimants actually work and get HB as a top up to their low wages. Most of the people we are talking about are not teh so called "scroungers" talked about elsewhere. Instead they are working class people either on low wages or having lost their jobs through redundancy in a recession.

They dont choose to live in a rich areas they cant afford. They choose to live where they can afford and either rents go up or their personal circumstances change.

maybe its just me, im having trouble understanding how pensioners or low paid workers are paying out £290/w for a flat or £400/w for a house. thats £15000 and £20000 a year respectively, more than average earnings after tax. so how would they become effected by this policy? theres probably a good argument for the limit to be defered some months for those who become unemployed.

im also finding some of the reporting of this decidely one sided. as i understand, the cap doesnt come in until 2013, so theres no good reason for councils to be block booking B&B in Hastings etc. why make such claims? i think it might be a tad premature to speak of these "rich ghettos" and people being evicted (rehoused, not homeless surely).

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
How about all the modestly paid staff in shops such as Selfridges,Harrods and Harvey Nicks....bet they don't live near the job and so have to live further out and travel in.
Why should the unemployed and others live, at the tax payers expense, in expensive areas they couldn't normally dream about?

Exactly the point that a few poeple are missing. Its nothing to do with what particular job they do its the fact of "SOME" unemployed/unemployable sponges living in expensive houses at other peoples expense! What incentive will these people have to get off their back side if they have everything paid for by others! The problem is every case is different and i think it should be treated so but the all out sponging of the state has to stop!!

D

Deleted User X18H

Anyone who has their rent paid by the government need to be housed within the most basic environment with the most basic appliances and services. That might persuade to do something about it.

(cue various girly voices in about 5...4...3...2...1) 'But Thatcher sold all the council houses off'.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Exactly the point that a few poeple are missing. Its nothing to do with what particular job they do its the fact of "SOME" unemployed/unemployable sponges living in expensive houses at other peoples expense! What incentive will these people have to get off their back side if they have everything paid for by others! The problem is every case is different and i think it should be treated so but the all out sponging of the state has to stop!!

Nobody is saying the spongers shouldn't be dealt with but have you ever heard of the phrase throwing out the baby with the bath water. Comments like yours just play into the hands of the Daily Mail headline writeres.

Dandyman

In London village.
Anyone who has their rent paid by the government need to be housed within the most basic environment with the most basic appliances and services. That might persuade to do something about it.

(cue various girly voices in about 5...4...3...2...1) 'But Thatcher sold all the council houses off'.

Thank you Timmy - hope your wife sorted out your pocket money for yesterday's game. Whenever I have doubts about Nye Bevan's description of Tories I simply have to read your posts - "lower than vermin".

D

Deleted User X18H

Thank you Timmy - hope your wife sorted out your pocket money for yesterday's game. Whenever I have doubts about Nye Bevan's description of Tories I simply have to read your posts - "lower than vermin".

I have a job again now. Although she did give me a 'fifty' for emergencies.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So you think that all the people in London on HB live in the posh swanky areas. Perhaps you need to get out more.

Drew,don't be daft.I am merely making a valid point about the cost of H.B. in expensive areas.Just why should the ordinary taxpayers in this country pay H.B.of up to six figures to house families in expensive areas....in fact areas and houses that the vast amount of the population could not afford to rent or buy!It is madness, and bear in mind for many,the limit of £400 p.w. does seem pretty reasonable.
I am not saying that there won't be difficulties and problems that will hopefully be sorted out sensibly,but the fact remains that the H.B. system has become ludicrously expensive,is open to abuse and has got to be reformed.
You lefties just love spending other peoples money and sod the consequences.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Drew,don't be daft.I am merely making a valid point about the cost of H.B. in expensive areas.Just why should the ordinary taxpayers in this country pay H.B.of up to six figures to house families in expensive areas....in fact areas and houses that the vast amount of the population could not afford to rent or buy!It is madness, and bear in mind for many,the limit of £400 p.w. does seem pretty reasonable.
I am not saying that there won't be difficulties and problems that will hopefully be sorted out sensibly,but the fact remains that the H.B. system has become ludicrously expensive,is open to abuse and has got to be reformed.
You lefties just love spending other peoples money and sod the consequences.

And you tories just like seeing people on the street if it means a few extra quid in your pocket. Nevermind that they might be pensioners who have lived in an area for their entire lives. Now that developers want to regenerate it and make profits they have to be sacrificed. Try reading some of the earlier posts from people who work in the sector. Yes there are scroungers and they should be dealt with but you make it sound like they are the majority rather than the minority, hence my reference to Daily Mail headlines. The £400 limit applies to 4 bedroom property not to all properties. In London, they calculate 82,000 households face eviction and surveys of Landlords suggest 90% will not lower their rents and will merely evict tenants that get into arrears. Where will they go then. No doubt you don't care about that, unless of course they are sprawled across the pavement as you try to get to work.

1066gull

My cousin is on housing benefit, has been for like 3 years ever since her husband just walked out, shes epileptic and thinks 'the conservative government are ruining this country' and she was a full Brown supporter.

I really disagree but I don't want to upset her, but she hates the fact she gets less money then someone who works. I help her out whenever I can for no money at all because she currently pays £900 a month for herself and her daughter to live in Hastings.

As a full contributing taxpayer, I don't think it is right she gets the same amount of money I work for, if you get allowances, you should do community payback.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My cousin is on housing benefit, has been for like 3 years ever since her husband just walked out, shes epileptic and thinks 'the conservative government are ruining this country' and she was a full Brown supporter.

I really disagree but I don't want to upset her, but she hates the fact she gets less money then someone who works. I help her out whenever I can for no money at all because she currently pays £900 a month for herself and her daughter to live in Hastings.

As a full contributing taxpayer, I don't think it is right she gets the same amount of money I work for, if you get allowances, you should do community payback.

In my opinion there is a fine line between "don't want to upset her" and her thinking she's right. I feel out with someone recently over benefits as they felt there were entitled to take the p!ss as I saw it. Their comment was "Well everyone else thinks I'm entitled", which actually meant nobody else said what they were thinking.

We're all friends again now but we also understand the situation and our individual feelings now, be careful not to fall into the same trap.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the government are right in what they're doing.

Most people end up living in a place that is affordable, close enough to work and family - in that order. It seems reasonable enough so why allow that to be significantly distorted by benefits?

On a wider scale, it is important that some economic realism is restored in this country. If state handouts are cut people, by definition, will have to try harder to get work, and that's exactly what's needed if we're:

a) To get out of this present economic mess, and
b) To stay one step ahead of emerging economies.

Britain does not have a God-given right to be economically ahead of almost every other nation on Earth, and it stands to reason that if the labour of other countries is cheaper than ours, they work harder and the quality is better then, in time, we'll be caught up or overtaken.

As a nation we've behaved like a spoilt child whose had it's toys taken away. Cameron and Clegg are merely applying an economic "smack" to make the child come to its senses.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'm still wondering how people on low incomes and pensioners end up in £1000 pm rents as a result of mis-fortune and circumstance.

i find the side panel story of the chap recieving £125 housing benefits interesting and annoying spin. he's not going to be impacted, and moving out from zone 1/2 to zone 2/3 will cost him £5 a week or £11 for zone 5. hows he going to be worse off, with a job, having to pay that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here