Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Horrific accident on M25

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You're living in the past sir, most Transit sized vehicles have to have tachos now.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
dougdeep said:
You're living in the past sir, most Transit sized vehicles have to have tachos now.

Anything under 7.5 tons you don't need a tacho unless the law has changed recently which i doubt as i only drove a 3.5 ton the other day

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Just did a quick search to try and back up my usual bullshit!

Seriously confusing but it appears that RECOVERY vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes need no tacho. This does not cover transporting vehicles for hire or reward.

Vehicles over 7.5 tonnes recovering vehicles need no tacho as long as you don't go further that 100KM from your operating centre.

This is one quote:
A vehicle of 7.5 tonnes can also be used under a normal licence and without a tachograph, but purely for recovery – the delivery of any roadworthy vehicles and it falls under the Hire and Reward banner – again an illegal practice.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
algie said:
Anything under 7.5 tons you don't need a tacho unless the law has changed recently which i doubt as i only drove a 3.5 ton the other day

You need a tacho for most things over 3.5 ton nowadays, there are very few exceptions. Recovery vehicles (in some cases) and Government vehicles mainly.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Timbo said:
You need a tacho for most things over 3.5 ton nowadays, there are very few exceptions. Recovery vehicles (in some cases) and Government vehicles mainly.

I can only drive up to 3.5t which you don't need a tacho for.The next mode of transport is 7.5 surely?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They are EEC rules of course, if you are exempt from those you still have to obey the British rules.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If it has a tacho you are legally obliged to use it. The digital ones become law soon, so heaven help us.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
dougdeep said:
If it has a tacho you are legally obliged to use it. The digital ones become law soon, so heaven help us.

Is there a date for this and is there much difference with the digital one?The reason i'm asking was that i was going to do a two day course on tachos and other things which you get a certificate for.I might hold out for the digital one if it's coming out very soon.

Timbo said:
A good chance he was catching up on a little sleep. Thanks in no small part to the fact recovery drivers need no tacho so can drive non stop all week if they choose.

That's a strange conjecture, considering 6 people were crammed into the driver's cab - it's a bit tougher to take a kip when 6 people are in close proximity, probably talking about their predicament.

A better guess might be that the recovery vehicle had a lot of weight, and the driver accounted for braking distance for an unladen flatbed truck - was too close to the lorry and couldn't see anything in front of it.

I have noticed, since returning to the UK, that drivers do like to pin themselves to your back bumper. Then, when you might speed up to get more space (not a good idea anyway) they speed up and draw even closer like it's a game! This forces anyone with safety interests, to slow down completely, so that the distance between DOES become a safe one for braking. (defeating their object if they were in such a hurry)

Drivers are also extremely cavalier about places where there is NO visibility - like a blind hill, humpback bridges, tree/bush-lined corners in the countryside, and etc. They will drive around blind bends with half their car across the central divide too, and you can meet people half-way across your lane. People will OVERTAKE (usually around a cyclist) and be in the opposite lane, just in front of a blind hill!!

In all the aformentioned, there is a high percentage chance of an accident, perhaps with a slower vehicle, pedestrian, cyclist, horse, wild animal.

A friend of mine who was a cop, experienced such an aftermath;
a driver in a sports car, winding and hilly areas through a forested road - overtook a couple of other slow drivers, before he encountered a herd of sheep, that were inclined to wander across the road even of an evening. He hit and instantly killed several sheep in the herd, of course, before hitting a tree. He looked fine, almost like he was asleep - until my friend saw the back of his head was missing, and a pinky blob that was his brain was on the back of his car.
Perhaps he enjoyed his last drive through the country, in his nice sports car. :bigwave: :angel:

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
NMH said:
That's a strange conjecture, considering 6 people were crammed into the driver's cab - it's a bit tougher to take a kip when 6 people are in close proximity, probably talking about their predicament.

A better guess might be that the recovery vehicle had a lot of weight, and the driver accounted for braking distance for an unladen flatbed truck - was too close to the lorry and couldn't see anything in front of it.

I have noticed, since returning to the UK, that drivers do like to pin themselves to your back bumper. Then, when you might speed up to get more space (not a good idea anyway) they speed up and draw even closer like it's a game! This forces anyone with safety interests, to slow down completely, so that the distance between DOES become a safe one for braking. (defeating their object if they were in such a hurry)

Drivers are also extremely cavalier about places where there is NO visibility - like a blind hill, humpback bridges, tree/bush-lined corners in the countryside, and etc. They will drive around blind bends with half their car across the central divide too, and you can meet people half-way across your lane. People will OVERTAKE (usually around a cyclist) and be in the opposite lane, just in front of a blind hill!!

In all the aformentioned, there is a high percentage chance of an accident, perhaps with a slower vehicle, pedestrian, cyclist, horse, wild animal.

a driver in a sports car, winding and hilly areas through a forested road - overtook a couple of other slow drivers, before he encountered a herd of sheep, that were inclined to wander across the road even of an evening. He hit and instantly killed several sheep in the herd, of course, before hitting a tree. He looked fine, almost like he was asleep - until my friend saw the back of his head was missing, and a pinky blob that was his brain was on the back of his car.
Perhaps he enjoyed his last drive through the country, in his nice sports car. :bigwave: :angel:

Is that story true or are you trying to pull the wool over our eyes?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
FFS, he could have swerved to avoid something, the other vehicle could have pulled into the hard shoulder just as the recovery truck was pulling out, who can say at this time?

The vast majority of road collisions are down to human error, but none of us can realistically judge this particular case at this time, can we?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
El Presidente said:
Algie can, he's blaming it on the DARKIES

True.

What else is in the news today?

Hmmm, Sarkozy wins the French election. Ah yes, clearly the fault of swarthy foreign types.

A policeman is shot dead in the Midlands somewhere. Bound to be down to some malevolent immigrant influence.

Search continues for missing girl in Portugal- well what can we say? A bunch of paedophiles, the Portuguese...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
NMH said:

Flock of sheep surely. :jester:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Pictures of the accident on news 24 showed the recovery vehicle to be the flat bed type with the large cab, on the back was a transit minibus. This suggests the type of vehicle that can recover a car full with passengers, guess it is reasonable to assume that the cab could have been capable of holding 6 or 7 people. Terrible accident and loss of life, guess the true cause won't be known until the Police carry out their investigation, not much help in idle speculation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here