Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Horrendous Gaffe By Dick Knight

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think he signed off correctly. It's "Yours Sincerely" if you know of the person you're writing to. Afterall, there is only one "Deputy Prime Minister" in this context.

It's certainly debatable but I think "horrendous gaffe" is stretching the point a little. :)

Last edited:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
CAFC Matt said:
He should have wrote:

Dear John
Please please please please give us Falmer. I will vote for you for ever and ever eand ever!!!

Thanks sooooo much, you're friend
Dick

:lolol:

Er, shouldn't that be your friend and not you're friend?

He got it right - 'faithfully' for someone you are addressing with a generic title, 'sincerely' for someone you are individually and directly addressing. It's not his name, but 'Dear Deputy Prime Minister' is clearly addressing a specific individual.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
As an ex-Business and Economic teacher to the masses, and having taught 16+ year olds how to right letters (In some cases A, B, C) I can catagorically state that.

Dear Sir / Madam / (Tosser allowed if addressing Bellotti or Archer)

is Faithfully as you do not know the name so you can only place faith that the person will act on your correspondence. You assume you do not know their character.

Dear (Name of any sort)

is Sincerley as you are assumed to know the person so you are being sincere when signing off due to the fact you can be sincere with someone you know.

Hope this helps (p.s. most of my students failed badly)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I stand corrected and bow to Staffs superior knowledge.

I withdraw my slur on the standard of language used by our esteemed leader.

:blush:

PS I would have started it....OI you fat bloke who is doing his best to get sacked by Blair and if so will completely feck up our bid for Falmer as someone new will have to look at it all over again. Mandelson anyone?

Last edited:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
StaffsGull said:
As an ex-Business and Economic teacher to the masses, and having taught 16+ year olds how to right letters (In some cases A, B, C) I can catagorically state that.

Dear Sir / Madam / (Tosser allowed if addressing Bellotti or Archer)

is Faithfully as you do not know the name so you can only place faith that the person will act on your correspondence. You assume you do not know their character.

Dear (Name of any sort)

is Sincerley as you are assumed to know the person so you are being sincere when signing off due to the fact you can be sincere with someone you know.

Hope this helps (p.s. most of my students failed badly)

isn't that "write" letters?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
perhaps he should have tried

Darling fascist bully boy

gimme Falmer planning permission you bastard

Boomshanka
(may the fruit of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman)

Dickie

Dawsey

Apr 25, 2004
Brighton
I haven't got a clue which is the right one to use, which could be a problem considering that this time tomorrow I'll be in my English exam :thud:

"Sincerely" is correct.

The use of a title such as "Deputy Prime Minisister" precludes the need for the preceding salutation "Mister" as that is redundant.

One don't write "Dear Professor Mr Brown"

One writes
"Dear Professor" and ends "Yours sincerely"

so the same rules apply when writing to the Deputy Prime Minister

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
you would say that you toadie:lolol: :lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dave

Its just about the best piece of reasoned argument I have ever seen on the need for the stadium at Falmer.

It is bloody superb !.

Well done Dick.

I think you may be being a trite petty my friend. I don't care about the start and end its the 2000 odds brlilliant words in between that only concern me.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
It doesn't matter how this letter was addressed or signed because it should be unreadable after it's been smeared with dog turd,set on fire and stuffed through his letterbox attached to a firework.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Cant remember being taught any of this, last thing I was taught was if you dont know the sex its Sir and end it Kind regards.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
There's only one way that would work:-

Darling Fascist Bully Boy

Give me a stadium, you bastard

May the seed of your loin be fruitfull in the belly of your woman.

Dick

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
munster monch said:
There's only one way that would work:-

Darling Fascist Bully Boy

Give me a stadium, you bastard

May the seed of your loin be fruitfull in the belly of your woman.

Dick
You didn't read the thread did you rool?
:dunce:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
come on kev

keep up

rool

Jul 10, 2003
damn, it took me so long to load the video and watch the correct wording that someone beat me too it :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here