Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Horce racing & banning the wipe.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Some jockeys appear up in arms over this,but the seems alot of public support for this and as someone how has only ever been to a handful of race meetings at Lingfield Park & Haydock i can't really see the need for the use of it.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Awful isn't it..... Can't even wipe a horses arse now without being punished, what's the world coming to ay ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the amusing thing is, as i understand it they arent banned from using the whip, they're just limited to how many times they can use it, so they are effectivly up in arms over having to count.

Serious answer (sorry). Personally I can't see why they need a whip at all. Shirley it should be down to the skill of the jockey with his knees, heels and hands?

And even if the whip did make the horse go faster, banning it would not penalise anyone, everyone would be in the same boat (so to speak).

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
The whip in use these days,is like being hit with air cushion,maybe they should show the public ie go to the bookmeakers and race course and show people how it dont hurt the horses,then maybe the public would look at it from the jockeys view,if say,you have hit the horse maximum amount of times,and the horse veers across from 1 rail to the other,you cannot hit it,well,there would be carnage,say it was 30 runner handicap,so,i am not a jockey,but have seen a whip they use.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I`d whip the shit out of some of the horses I`ve lost my money on recently.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
My stance is ban it altogether or change it, i was hearing today that hitting the horse today does not actually do anything its the hand motion and the noise of the whip striking, so why not invent something that does that and then save the horse from being whip.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Horse-Toilet-Paper-Holder-550x444.jpg

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
the amusing thing is, as i understand it they arent banned from using the whip, they're just limited to how many times they can use it, so they are effectivly up in arms over having to count.

Not quite, I think most jockeys understand why the BHA bought in a limit, there gripe is the penalties for a breach.

Christophe Soumillion lost 50k and was banned from riding for 5 days on Saturday for using the whip 6 times rather than the limit of 5 in the final furlong. He can count by the way because he never used it over the 7 time limit. It is not as simple as just counting when you are riding a 1/2 ton horse competively at 40mph whilst trying to see where the final furlong marker is.

There's the nub of the problem, because the penalties are such that jockey's may not ride out the horse as robustly as they would previously, therefore you will not get a fair outcome on the race for punters.

For punters this rule is catastrophic as it introduces another imponderable when checking form. Jockeys that need to use the whip on horse that need steering will be disadvantaged to other jockey's on horses that have kept out of trouble.

The BHA report which introduced the limit acknowledged that the whip does not do any harm to horses. The reason for the change was purely as a consequence that the public's perception of the whip (particularly amongst women and those who do not attend horse racing) is that its cruel.

If they had concentrated on educating the public and renaming the whip as (say) the airstick, then all of this would probably have been avoided.

In football terms its like introducing a law on players of 10 tackles a game so that those who dont like the agressive nature of football would be encouraged to attend matches.

Football fans may laugh about it now................our time will come.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

Try counting to seven when four or five other people are yelling vital information at you all at once - information that is essential to do your job, that needs to be absorbed and considered, and could even help to keep you alive - and you might find it's not quite as easy as you think.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
It seemed stupid to control on the amount of times the whip is used. It is just telling all the antis they are right, but they are not. For starters, a horses skin is a lot thicker then ours. People seem to forget that. Also, the whip is very soft. But the whip is also a safety thing. It can be used to make sure the horse stays straight. And for people that say it just a matter of counting, have you ridden a horse making it go at speed whilst watching what every other horse is doing, taking a lot of things into account and keep balance on a small saddle whilst counting? I doubt it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here