Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homosexuals: Born or created?

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Homosexuals: Born or created?

Was having a conversation about this last night with some friends about whether people are born with a gene inside them that makes them homosexual/bi-sexual/lesbian etc. Or whether, through outside influences ie parental, cultural, a person is turned into a homosexual.

I don't mean this to offend anyone, I'm just interested.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
How long before we get someone moaning about pride on this thread?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shock, horror this thread is not about the latest Palace news :eek:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
A gay guy I used to know once said

'I've been as camp as a picnic basket from since I can remember'

dunno if that helps?

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
how many more times are we gonna discuss this subject?

I think last time we all came to the conclusion that Hitler had the right Idea.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I know you don't choose you parents, but you get born and you get dead and what you decide to do in between the two is your choice.

Is anybody born and brought up in docks in a certain part of south London congenially destined to support Millwall and become a football hooligan or whatever? Or do they grow out of it when they get older?

Has there ever been a law against being a homosexual? It is what they get up to, lewdness and other things.

I do not suppose kissing and holding hands is so offensive, not with a stout woman with a moustache I am not so inclined.

Is my dislike of moustaches a southern trait? Now that is something interesting, are northerners born with a natural inclination to retain animal furry bits around their mouth? I expect they were born with it.

:jester:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There is no evidence to support the theory that we have a 'gay' gene. It is usually a theory peddled by far-right wing Christians (among others) to absolve ourselves of any 'blame' for anyone who is gay or has homosexual thoughts or tendencies. In other words, 'it's not your fault you are gay, you were born that way, just as we are all born sinners, so that Jesus can save us...'

Homosexuality is a preference gained by a series of complex and interwoven personal life experiences. Just as, say, whether you support the Albion or like eating broccoli. We are all subject to roughly the same experiences in our society, from these we make choices about what we do and don't like. What we do about them is another matter entirely.

People begin their sexual awareness at different ages, but generally they start quite young, about three or four. At the time, we don't necessarily know what they mean, but there is an awareness of sorts. Of these, homosexuality is just one strand of sexual expression.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Old joke alert ...........

"My mother made me a homosexual."
"If I gave her the wool would she make me one too?"

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The young boy at my local butchers is gay!!

Never once have I met him, but apparently he spends all his working day out the back "mincin!"
:lolol:

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
Perseus. Of course there has been a law against being gay.
Why do you think Oscar Wilde was sent to Reading jail?
Labour party decriminalised it in 1967.
If my wife reads this she'll worry about how I know such facts.
:blush:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
westdeneite said:
Perseus. Of course there has been a law against being gay.
Why do you think Oscar Wilde was sent to Reading jail?
Labour party decriminalised it in 1967.

Apparently homosexuality was also the downfall of Alan Turing, the inventor of the first computer. He was given drugs to "cure" his sexual urges which basically f***ed him up. Very sad for such a genius.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Rangdo said:
Apparently homosexuality was also the downfall of Alan Turing, the inventor of the first computer. He was given drugs to "cure" his sexual urges which basically f***ed him up. Very sad for such a genius.
Not so much his homosexuality as the guilt and shame he felt at its illegaility. The drugs he took almost willingly to try and cure himself. Still very sad.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
FFS not this again :angry: :angry:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Mr Popkins said:
how many more times are we gonna discuss this subject?

I think last time we all came to the conclusion that Hitler had the right Idea.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here