Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeplug network adaptors

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bit of techie advice required. I want to access iplayer on via freesat. I don't have a wireless network so am looking at using homeplug network adaptors. Any advice, recommendations, warnings etc. Don't want to spend a fortune, possible £30/45 for a pair.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Your budget is going to limit you somewhat. I would advise avoiding the Netgear ones - they can be tricky to setup and a bit unrealiable. That said it's probably where you're going to have to go for adaptors for less than £50.

If you can stretch yourself then go for Linksys or Dlink. Belkin are surprisingly good as well given their kit often falls apart quite quickly but they seem to have got it right this time.

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
Really simple devices.

1. Plug into wall
2. Connect cable to FreeSat Box
3. Plug other device into wall
4. Connect cable to Router
5. Done

The boxes will do all the clever stuff and assign IP addresses etc. The only thing they suggest is that you don't plug them into an extension lead as the speed of the signal is greatly reduced.

Got mine from Amazon for what its worth.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
i used belkin homeplug adapters at my old house and student house as my desktop external wireless card kept overheating. worked a charm as was almost as good as being plugged into the router via cable. cost me £50 so might be just over your budget, but was well worth it. there was no installation needed, just plug in and go

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Make sure you're home is connected on one electric circuit as the adaptors will only work when on the same circuit as the free sat or modem. eg My house has two different circuits for upstairs and downstairs so if the modem is upstairs, only adaptors plugged into the upstairs circuit would share the internet connection.

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
I've installed the Belkin ones - plug in and away you go - easy. I think they cost about £70 - £80. I was told however that you need spare wall sockets for each plug as they wont work properly in mains adaptors?

F5D4074 Belkin Powerline AV Starter Kit

Whilst on the subject of extension plugs (which is what i think you meant?)... this is only really an issue if the extension has surge protection on it... if it doesn't you shouldn't notice any difference.

One thing to remember... the main choice you get is either 85mbps or 200mbps. Whatever you decide to go with, remember if you need to buy additional plugs you will need to chose the same mbps (not necessarily the same brand). 85 and 200 aren't compatible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here