Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeopathy could be blacklisted

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If you wish it to be a viable option on the NHS, then that is exactly what you would be doing ......

Where did I say I wanted it to be a viable option on the NHS ?

My comment was about not writing off the possibility that it works ( beyond merely being a placebo ).

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Just because science can't currently explain it, it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Before the 1960s, Higgs-Bosun particles weren't even dreamed of.
What is the next fundamental discovery beyond quantum physics ? ???

Let's not be all 'Flat Earth' about this.

But it's more than that. Countless studies show that homeopathy is a placebo. Therefore there is nothing to explain. Case closed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not sure this is so great. Placebos are proved to be very effective and cheap to produce with Homeopathy being the most popular type.

Absolute nonsense. That is like advocating lying because some people believe the lies they are told.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

My comment was about not writing off the possibility that it works ( beyond merely being a placebo ).

Ok, fine, but why would you still not write something off that has clinically been proven not to work.

Out of all the things that you might want any resources targeting on, why these things ?

Why not move on and test other stuff, science doesnt just stand still and use the same historic mentality or formula sets to try and test the validity of medicines, they evolve, seek and invest, its in their interest to find appropriate medicines that could cure illness.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ok, fine, but why would you still not write something off that has clinically been proven not to work.

Out of all the things that you might want any resources targeting on, why these things ?

Why not move on and test other stuff, science doesnt just stand still and use the same historic mentality or formula sets to try and test the validity of medicines, they evolve, seek and invest, its in their interest to find appropriate medicines that could cure illness.

OK, well I admit it did work for me, and it can't have been a placebo as mainstream drugs which I expected to work ( ie at the very minimum have a placebo effect of their own ) didn't.

So that is why I do not write it off easily.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
OK, well I admit it did work for me, and it can't have been a placebo as mainstream drugs which I expected to work ( ie at the very minimum have a placebo effect of their own ) didn't.

So that is why I do not write it off easily.

Seriously tell us what was your condition was and what homoeopathy methods were use, yes you might get some derision from some including me, but fire away .....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seriously tell us what was your condition was and what homoeopathy methods were use, yes you might get some derision from some including me, but fire away .....

Sorry, I'll pass on getting so personal - it was ongoing for many months though, but not serious in the grand scheme of things.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wait, was your comment serious?

Just because science can't currently explain it, it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Before the 1960s, Higgs-Bosun particles weren't even dreamed of.
What is the next fundamental discovery beyond quantum physics ?
question.gif

Let's not be all 'Flat Earth' about this.
People (may have) believed the earth was flat. They did no tests to see if the theory was true. /end

Homeopathy has been tested. Clinical trials have been conducted where half the volunteers were given a placebo pill, and the other half were given a placebo pill, and there were no differences in the results.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It obviously is 'mumbo jumbo' but if it works and is cost effective why not use it?

It doesn't work.

Some people who are ill get better by themselves.

I saw once a programme on homepathy. Two sheep were given a homeopathic pill. One of them got better. the 'practitioner' claimed that the one who dodn't get better had the wrong attitude.

Same logic applies to those of you who genuinely believe that wearing a lucky top will influence the outcome of a Brighton game (actually I have used the same turnstile all season and we have yet to lose, which clearly proves it is the use of this turnstile that is resposible for our success).

The quotes on the radio are that 'there is no good evidence that it works'. Actually there IS good evidence that it DOESN'T work.

I don't even agree with others on here who say that fplk should be able to 'use' it as long as they pay for it. This implies that there is a 'use' and that the stuff can be advertised and sold as medicine (or 'alternative' medicine). This is false advertising. Selling something as a treatment implies that it works. I could go on and on about this :lolol:

I'll end with this. If I wanted to by myself a car, and found a garage selling 'alternative' cars (cardboard boxes) and bought one, and found that when I put the box on the top of a snowy hill, I was able to travel down it, a bit, would I be deluded if I told myself I had bought a car that works?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
This, so absolutely I would take one letter from this post, drown it in water, shake it a lot, then add some more water and repeat until the sentiment becomes much stronger than GB's.

As one complaint about Ben Goldacare to the PCC went, by not mentioning the banging-the-glass-against-a-horsehair-cushion bit of the process, you "make homeopaths look stupid". Tsk tsk.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
As one complaint about Ben Goldacare to the PCC went, by not mentioning the banging-the-glass-against-a-horsehair-cushion bit of the process, you "make homeopaths look stupid". Tsk tsk.

I do apologise, I am so stupid. :dunce:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Other things you could take instead:

Three litres of spring water with a bag of sugar diluted in to them.

Essence of cough with Jelly babies

A nice steak, cooked medium rare in a special healing oven

A teddy bear to hug

A diet based purely around sprouts and baked beans (particularly efficacious for trapped wind which can be mistaken for other stuff. "do you know, I was having a heart attack but the bean and sprout diet saved my life".)

Cake

A nice walk by the seaside

200,000 nice letters delivered by a man in a pink suit

Some dogs.

After all, physics hasn't actually proved these don't work. Let's not be Flat Earth about it.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Case closed in a Flat Earth sort of way, I guess :lolol:

Sorry but if anyones coming across as a flat earther it's you. You stubbornly cling to your belief despite the fact you have no explaination for how homeopathy is supposed to work and there is no scientific evidence it works anyway.You see the thing is i had an open mind about homeopathy and then i read up on it and the evidence shows quite conclusively that it s at best just wishful thinking. If new evidence comes to light I will be happy to reassess my conclusions.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
It doesn't work.

Some people who are ill get better by themselves.

I saw once a programme on homepathy. Two sheep were given a homeopathic pill. One of them got better. the 'practitioner' claimed that the one who dodn't get better had the wrong attitude.

Same logic applies to those of you who genuinely believe that wearing a lucky top will influence the outcome of a Brighton game (actually I have used the same turnstile all season and we have yet to lose, which clearly proves it is the use of this turnstile that is resposible for our success).

The quotes on the radio are that 'there is no good evidence that it works'. Actually there IS good evidence that it DOESN'T work.

I don't even agree with others on here who say that fplk should be able to 'use' it as long as they pay for it. This implies that there is a 'use' and that the stuff can be advertised and sold as medicine (or 'alternative' medicine). This is false advertising. Selling something as a treatment implies that it works. I could go on and on about this :lolol:

I'll end with this. If I wanted to by myself a car, and found a garage selling 'alternative' cars (cardboard boxes) and bought one, and found that when I put the box on the top of a snowy hill, I was able to travel down it, a bit, would I be deluded if I told myself I had bought a car that works?

Fair point. Maybe someone should go to Trading Standards? :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Case closed in a Flat Earth sort of way, I guess :lolol:

nope. case closed in that the hypothesis for homeopathy isn't internally consistent and doesn't make any sense sort of way. the claimed mechanics in homeopathy is that water holds some form of memory. firstly this should be demonstrable through experiment and secondly all the water we have contains memory traces of everything it ever had contact with, good a bad, in conflict with each other and the supposed medicine. the base liquid used for dilution would contain all manner of contaminants. its not a case of saying it doesn't work, it cannot work as claimed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Other things you could take instead:
Essence of cough with Jelly babies

A nice steak, cooked medium rare in a special healing oven

are these available on the NHS? i would very much like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here