Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeless in Brighton

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Government says there are just 510 people nationwide sleeping rough, with just 10 in Brighton.

Brighton Council figures state that there are 509 rough sleepers in B&H.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/display.var.1027658.0.509_sleeping_rough_but_government_figure_is_ten.php

Now, that's some disparity even for this government. How can they honestly say that there are just 500 rough sleepers in the entire country?

Tsk. :angry: These lies make my blood boil.

...and anyone recognise the Albion fan on the Argus website?

bighomeless.331095.full.jpg

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
He dont exactly look a homeless .. hat looks pretty new to me

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was flabbergasted when the figures were released last year and nothing seems to have changed.

The governement obviously have a different 'definition' for homelessness!

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
ditchy said:
He dont exactly look a homeless .. hat looks pretty new to me

he is a she and I believe a reporter from the argus, see the argus online report

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
maybe HM Government are talking about registered homeless.
just a thought.

however many it is its to many. :flameboun

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I read also that Unemployment is at its highest for 7 years.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A mate of mine used to work in a Homeless Outreach Centre, part funded by the local authority. One of their tasks was to go out throughout Brighton & Hove - backstreets and all - and find homeless people in order to encourage them to go to the shelter and spend the night there.

Then the government stepped in with some funding.

They brought in some kind of Homeless Tsar for Brighton & Hove, she changed everything around - f***ed it up basically - so that the Outreach workers could only go to certain areas of the city to find the homeless people. Anyone 'sleeping' outside her pre-determined designated areas was not allowed to be asked back to the shelter.

Many homeless people have mental health issues, something that completely passed this woman by. It had taken a long time to build up relationships and trust between the workers and the homeless. Through her petty-minded bureaucracy, she managed to trample many of these into the ground.

This was done purely as an exercise in massaging the figures to make it look as though the number of homeless was far better than it actually was. Thankfully, the Outreach people were not bothered by her spin, and carried on breaking her new rules anyway. So the figures were lies, but the homeless still managed to find a place to sleep despite, rather than because of, London interference.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Unless that figure of 509 is a guestimate of the number of people actually sleeping rough on any given night, though frankly I can't believe it is that low. The actual number of homeless must include all those of no fixed abode, that is to say everyone who spends the night in a proper shelter, I reckon that must run into thousands.

TLO is right about the number of people on the streets with mental health issues, I always understood that they were roughly a third of the total, another third had formerly served in HM Armed Forces and the remainder were there for a variety of reasons (chucked out of home, on the run, homeless through choice (including your good old traditional tramp)).

The Large One said:
... purely as an exercise in massaging the figures to make it look as though the number of homeless was far better than it actually was.
I believe the City Council started this exercise with something rather inappropriately called "benchmarking".

:nono: :nono: :nono:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Buzzer said:
Government says there are just 510 people nationwide sleeping rough, with just 10 in Brighton.

Brighton Council figures state that there are 509 rough sleepers in B&H.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/display.var.1027658.0.509_sleeping_rough_but_government_figure_is_ten.php

Now, that's some disparity even for this government. How can they honestly say that there are just 500 rough sleepers in the entire country?

Tsk. :angry: These lies make my blood boil.

...and anyone recognise the Albion fan on the Argus website?

bighomeless.331095.full.jpg

Nope! Looks like some scumbag has been nicking off washing lines again! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

The Large One said:
A mate of mine used to work in a Homeless Outreach Centre, part funded by the local authority. One of their tasks was to go out throughout Brighton & Hove - backstreets and all - and find homeless people in order to encourage them to go to the shelter and spend the night there.

Then the government stepped in with some funding.

They brought in some kind of Homeless Tsar for Brighton & Hove, she changed everything around - f***ed it up basically - so that the Outreach workers could only go to certain areas of the city to find the homeless people. Anyone 'sleeping' outside her pre-determined designated areas was not allowed to be asked back to the shelter.

Many homeless people have mental health issues, something that completely passed this woman by. It had taken a long time to build up relationships and trust between the workers and the homeless. Through her petty-minded bureaucracy, she managed to trample many of these into the ground.

This was done purely as an exercise in massaging the figures to make it look as though the number of homeless was far better than it actually was. Thankfully, the Outreach people were not bothered by her spin, and carried on breaking her new rules anyway. So the figures were lies, but the homeless still managed to find a place to sleep despite, rather than because of, London interference.
outreach worker:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Government statistics are probably a head count made on the same date throughout the country when an official ventures out of their top of the range car and makes a valiant attempt of finding rough sleepers for half an hour before returning to the comfort zone of their vehicle so they can fill in a form which takes 6 hours to complete.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here