Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Home Theatre System Help

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
NSC I need your help. I've tried my trusty friend Google but this really isn't my area of expertise and I'm now more confused than before I started.

I'm looking to buy the Sony DAV-IS10 but only have an old TV with the standard Scart, S-Video and three phono (yellow video and red/white audio) connections.

Unfortunately I can't afford to get a new hi-def TV for a couple of months and this purchase is more urgent.

The unit comes with an HDMI and component video out connections. Im guessing that the HDMI is useless to me at the moment but can I connect the component video out to any of my available TV inputs (and if so how) or is that also a hi-def standard?

Your assistance is much appreciated :)

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
component out is analogue R(red)G(green)B(blue) signals that the telly mixes to make up a picture but you should be able to get a scart plug that will take conponent outputs,try Wilko's i had one for my S.N.E.S. so they have been out for years

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
just to clarify component is analogue so technically not HD standard but my Wii looks great on my 42"plasma (Wii output is component)

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
edit, not sure about that one(was a link to a product)

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
just to clarify component is analogue so technically not HD standard but my Wii looks great on my 42"plasma (Wii output is component)

So your Wii has component video out on the console? What is the connection to your TV?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
component out is analogue R(red)G(green)B(blue) signals that the telly mixes to make up a picture but you should be able to get a scart plug that will take conponent outputs,try Wilko's i had one for my S.N.E.S. so they have been out for years

component video can also be S-Video YpBPr as well usually these days the later as Scart generally carries RGB signals

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
yes where is the oirish technowizzard?

never around when needed

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
it all depends if his TV does 'proper' component via scart, if its a newish TV it well may do else you need to check if your amp out puts s-video or RGB and get the appropriate connector for that !!

This is beginning to feel like my Google search experience now :lolol:

My current TV is a 2 and a half year old 20 inch Samsung LCD. No idea whether it accepts 'proper' component in. All I know is that it has Scart, S-Video and the yellow/red/white three phono as inputs.

The outputs on the system are thus:

outxn6.jpg

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Rangdo: Good selectionon your Sony System :)

My next door neighbour purchased exact same system last week with his hi-def telly. Superb sound and such tiny speakers!

Gald to hear it. Going to go and hear a demo to make sure it's up to scratch. The space saving is the clincher for me.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
This is beginning to feel like my Google search experience now :lolol:

My current TV is a 2 and a half year old 20 inch Samsung LCD. No idea whether it accepts 'proper' component in. All I know is that it has Scart, S-Video and the yellow/red/white three phono as inputs.

The outputs on the system are thus:

outxn6.jpg

you have a 2.5 year old Samsung LCD Tv that doesn't take HDMI or YPrPb component

are you sure ?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
you have a 2.5 year old Samsung LCD Tv that doesn't take HDMI or YPrPb component

are you sure ?

Errrr pretty sure yep. I had a quick look at the back last night and couldn't see anything. It's nothing flash, a small cheap portable type 20inch. Only cost a couple of hundred.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Errrr pretty sure yep. I had a quick look at the back last night and couldn't see anything. It's nothing flash, a small cheap portable type 20inch. Only cost a couple of hundred.

fair doos, your best of using the video input as you do now and just using the amp for sound then ...

assuming you can somehow get the audio out of your current set up else you will just have the surround for DVDs

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
fair doos, your best of using the video input as you do now and just using the amp for sound then ...

Ahh right. So ignore the component connections and just use the video out phono to the yellow phono input on the TV?

It's only a temporary solution until I can upgrade to a hi-def TV in a few months.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Ahh right. So ignore the component connections and just use the video out phono to the yellow phono input on the TV?

It's only a temporary solution until I can upgrade to a hi-def TV in a few months.

if your using the DVD then yes

else

you will watch the TV as normal with the volume down

and connect your TV via the phono connectors ((assuming you haven't got optical or coaxial outputs)(assuming you have analogue outputs on your tv)) to the amp

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here