Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Home contents insurance advice needed please!

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
Thinking of getting home contents insurance cover and finding it difficult to choose. Can any of the NSC faithful give any advice on who have been helpful on the phone, punctual on paying out any claims and actually paying out for accidental damage instead of trying to wriggle out of it.

So far More Than sound most appealing, quoting me £262 pa for upto £15000, accidental damage, £1500 for personal items taken outside the home and a £50 excess... However looking at some reviews there are plenty of people who say they are useless and never pay and plenty who say they've been brilliant. Very confusing!

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My best tip is you get what you pay for. The bargain bucket ones have less in the pot to pay out on claims and will be all the more picky. I think Aviva are very competative with a good claims paying record so I would recommend them.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
£ 15000 is also piss all cover. It mounts up on a new for old basis.

D

Deleted User X18H

Accidental damage is just that a loss that occurs due to an unforeseen occurrence i.e an accident. You will be indemnified against this (this means put back in the same financial position you were in prior to the loss) up to the amount you valued your possessions at time of the inception of the policy. There are of course many exclusions to be aware of.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Really don't own much being a recently graduated student! My most expensive item is my Macbook! :lolol:

I don't think any insurance company offers £ 50 of cover.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Really don't own much being a recently graduated student! My most expensive item is my Macbook! :lolol:

if a graduate, look at Endsleigh. they will cover smaller amounts reflecting the fewer items graduates own, so you'll cut that premium in half.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My flat was robbed (completely cleaned out including a double bed!!!!) soon after I graduated and the claim came to £16,000 (that was over 20 years ago). The policy only covered up to £8,000 so I got less than half the value of what was nicked. You'll need to at least double your cover level

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

Same as, went with AXA - £14 a month, worldwide cover so I get discount on my holiday insurance. Haven't needed to claim yet *touch wood* but they seem very efficient.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
More than can kiss my arse.

I have insurance with them and when my soil pipe smashed my kitchen window during the last bout of heavy winds they wouldn't pay out as I couldn't prove i had maintained the soil pipe.
I asked what if my roof had blown off, would I have to prove I had maintained that and they said yes! I would need a report from a builder to prove it was in good condition prior to being blown off.

Twats

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Same as, went with AXA - £14 a month, worldwide cover so I get discount on my holiday insurance. Haven't needed to claim yet *touch wood* but they seem very efficient.

Bf works for them :)

Whoever you choose, check Quidco first - you might as well get some cashback if you can. I think Aviva mentioned above pays £65 cashback and your policy wont cost any more for it

I don't think AXA do pay cashback though. Don't base your decisions around the cashback, but once you've decided, if you can get it, take it

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Direct Line are good at the moment: 25% discount on all new policies, plus 25% off if you buy online, so effectively half price.

Just switched ours to them.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Bf works for them :)

Whoever you choose, check Quidco first - you might as well get some cashback if you can. I think Aviva mentioned above pays £65 cashback and your policy wont cost any more for it

I don't think AXA do pay cashback though. Don't base your decisions around the cashback, but once you've decided, if you can get it, take it

I registered and keep looking at the that quidco site, but each time i try and use it, the difference in using then and others is always more than the cash back value, bit of a con i think.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My contents are covered for 35k and i dont think thats that much to be honest.

And my House and Contents are covered for less than that with Halifax

Compare the Market.com hehe

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
You need to be covered, work colleague of mine has just lost 1,000s as a result of his dishwasher setting fire to the rear of the house.

If you are not unlimited cover then a term called 'Condition of average' applies.Not many realise this and even if you have an apparent over cover, the end result may be a disappointment, if you claim.

He is so concerned that he has put together an article on Wikipedia.

Condition of average - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hope this helps

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here