Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Home Championship set to return

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Home Championship to return

Views??

It is all tremendously exciting, but I do worry whether this is the calibre of opposition we should be playing in this brave new era of English football.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think it can only be a good thing. It gives us something to get excited about until the day that FIFA finally stops being the corrupt back-hander organisation that it has become. Also, it will involve a hefty amount of money coming into English football - surely a good thing IF it the money finds its' way to grassroots and youth football.

Sooty the Thief

Oct 3, 2009
Very surprised they are bringing these games back. The cost of policing these games and the risk of major crowd trouble would have made me thought that they were a thing of the past.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very surprised they are bringing these games back. The cost of policing these games and the risk of major crowd trouble would have made me thought that they were a thing of the past.
The football's a thing of the past. Can you imagine an England v Scotland game? It will be a 100mph long-ball clogging match played for willy-waving rights. It will bear as much resemblence to (and be as much preparation for) 'real' international football as getting the two teams to play rugby. Out of all the things we need to do to try and improve the standard of our international football this is the LAST thing we need.

Plus when will it be played?

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
England players will be pissed off by this announcement The World Cup is enough hassle for them, now this.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
purely money innit

the england team need a sponsor after the fa decided nationwides offer wasnt enough as they could get more after a successful world cup. following that particular cock up, vauxhall have finally come in to offer more providing these games come back. a "local derby" if priced right could sell out wembley, which generates more cash as nobody really cares about meaningless friendlies against the likes of hungary and slovenia as is reflexcted by attendances

plus, in theory it means we should actually win a couple of games

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
brilliant news. We could just wait until the next major tournament and delude ourselves that Spain and Germany are our rivals, or we could have a bit of genuine fun again.

This might be just what we need to regain a bit of humility. I am astounded that anyone isnt phenomenally looking forward to playing the jocks and the nick nacks. Still theres always a happy clappy day out at the Ghana game with vuvuzelas and everything. That will be BRILLIANT.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
brilliant news. We could just wait until the next major tournament and delude ourselves that Spain and Germany are our rivals, or we could have a bit of genuine fun again.

This might be just what we need to regain a bit of humility. I am astounded that anyone isnt phenomenally looking forward to playing the jocks and the nick nacks. Still theres always a happy clappy day out at the Ghana game with vuvuzelas and everything. That will be BRILLIANT.
Germany and Spain have never been our rivals. Germany look on at bemusement at English obsession with them, and that is a fact.

However, we're never going to get any better by prioritising tournaments with these local minnows. Have you seen a game played in any of their domestic leagues? It's f***ing monkey tennis.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Germany and Spain have never been our rivals. Germany look on at bemusement at English obsession with them, and that is a fact.

hence me saying deluding ourselves that we are.

Well I am looking forward to it anyway. I am trying not to think of the English national team as a relentless quest for global domination that cannot afford such distractions because a) aint going to happen and b) we are quite happy to play far shitter games for far wierder reasons

exciting. no ones pissing on my chips about this.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
However, we're never going to get any better by prioritising tournaments with these local minnows. Have you seen a game played in any of their domestic leagues? It's f***ing monkey tennis.

the england team should fit in quite well there then

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Maybe the Home Nations "tournament" should be our WC qualifying group ala 1950. Then we may be guaranteed a place every 4 years.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
hence me saying deluding ourselves that we are.

Well I am looking forward to it anyway. I am trying not to think of the English national team as a relentless quest for global domination that cannot afford such distractions because a) aint going to happen and b) we are quite happy to play far shitter games for far wierder reasons

exciting. no ones pissing on my chips about this.

I'm with you on this one, Mr Spanish. Looking forward to it, if it happens.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
At least there will be a bit of "spice" to the games even if they will be standard Premier League "up and at em" fare.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Fair comment Al but no more Glamorous than Wigan V Stoke which the Sky hyperbole would have you believe its the greatest fixture in football ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here