Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holroyd......Within the worst 5 BHA strikers of all time?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Scoring his first goal will be a massive boost to his confidence. I think there is a lot of potential with Holroyd and obvious Gus things there is something there too

Seem to remember everyone saying that about a certain Craig Davies.

To be honest, I think people are being a little disingenuous if they claim that Holroyd hasn't been pretty lacklustre so far. He probably needs a chance at the start of next season to see if he can find some form, but I have to admit I'm very sceptical that he will prove to be good enough at this level.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nothing to do with service more to do with the fact that he cant read the game and anticipate where the ball will land in the box to get on the end of it.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I didn't think he was bad today. He made a few decent run into the channels and looked decent on the ball. The problem is he's clearly not suited to playing as a lone striker. It's a shame Barnes came on for him as it would have been interesting to see him play upfront with someone else.

Agreed. He obviously has skill and reads the game well. It's difficult to see how to use it in the current team/system.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Shut up you miserable old sod. :)

Why do players have to be AMAZING straight away at our club, to be accepted? It's disgraceful some of the rubbish written on here. He doesn't deserve this thread, show some respect rather than hiding behind a screen and being critical. You're out of order, all of you.

The service he received today, and last week, was pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. We are, probably, the most uncreative Brighton team I've seen for a long, long, time. Very disappointed by us today, again.

Good god you annoy me.:laugh:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Shut up you miserable old sod. :)

Why do players have to be AMAZING straight away at our club, to be accepted? It's disgraceful some of the rubbish written on here. He doesn't deserve this thread, show some respect rather than hiding behind a screen and being critical. You're out of order, all of you.

The service he received today, and last week, was pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. We are, probably, the most uncreative Brighton team I've seen for a long, long, time. Very disappointed by us today, again.

Yeah all well and good but this theory falls apart in the fact that when Holyroyd went off Barnes looked more of a threat in 15 mins that Holyroyd had the previous 75. The same as the Rovers game I think it was.

You will eventually come to the same conclusion more and more people are coming to, i suspect with you it will take 50 shit appearances before the penny drops.....but trust me....... it will

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
To my mind he's just not good enough to play at this level, let alone contribute to a team which hopes to play Championship football in the next few years. After showing a few glimpses in his first few games, I feel that Holroyd hasn't progressed at all. He appears to have one great abililty - to look active without ever being in the right position to receive a pass, run on to a through ball or pose a real threat on goal. Too often he is the wrong side of a defender when a cross comes in, so he will never get there first. His one shot today was made from a decent position but was never going to beat the keeper. Definitely not a lone striker!
It's all very well suggesting he goes out on loan to a third division or conference club - that's where he came from!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The debate's all but closed. Anybody still thinking Holroyd has any kind of future at the Albion is just being very very kind, bless, or is a relative of the player. When we're letting proven senior professionals like FDM go, its an insult to them to persevere with the likes of Holroyd who is patently non-league level. Sorry, but Gus has to bite the bullet on this one.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Not read the thread so may be alone but I thought he was pretty good today. Got a few good touches was abit unlucky at times. Not in bottom 5! Only time will tell though.

Can't be upfront alone though.

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
definately needs someone up top with him. only then will we see what he can truly do, i think

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Good god you annoy me.:laugh:

Ironic. And you're not my target audience, for so many reasons.

Yeah all well and good but this theory falls apart in the fact that when Holyroyd went off Barnes looked more of a threat in 15 mins that Holyroyd had the previous 75. The same as the Rovers game I think it was.

You will eventually come to the same conclusion more and more people are coming to, i suspect with you it will take 50 shit appearances before the penny drops.....but trust me....... it will

Don't question my ability to judge players because I'm not slagging Holroyd off straight away. I've not been impressed with him so far, and you won't find any post in which I say anything else. But I also don't think he's played in a good Brighton team yet. He's played in one which doesn't create chances for him, and which, in no way, suits his style of play. That's not his fault, he's just very unlucky that we've been awful all season. Judge him next season when, hopefully, we'll be able to create a few chances for him. Barnes is, without question, a different player. He is bigger, stronger and more capable of putting himself about. Holroyd is a different type of striker, and one who needs nurturing, Poyet will have known that when signing him.

I don't think this is the right club to nurture players like him.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Don't be dickheads, I've already heard Holroyd getting ridiculous stick off people.

His problem is in the box, he doesn't seem to be in a position to stick the ball in the net. Admittedly that's a bad fault for a striker to have, I can't work out if it's something wrong with him or that he was used to playing a cirtain way at Cambridge. Between the halfway line and the 18 yard box his movement, hold up play and passing is actually very good.

You've asked people not to be dickheads but then proceeded to to say what's wrong with him. Again as you state his problem is within the box and how bad that is for a striker. :facepalm:

Well that's it really nothing else to say apart from he will never make it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Ironic. And you're not my target audience, for so many reasons.

Don't question my ability to judge players because I'm not slagging Holroyd off straight away. I've not been impressed with him so far, and you won't find any post in which I say anything else. But I also don't think he's played in a good Brighton team yet. He's played in one which doesn't create chances for him, and which, in no way, suits his style of play. That's not his fault, he's just very unlucky that we've been awful all season. Judge him next season when, hopefully, we'll be able to create a few chances for him. Barnes is, without question, a different player. He is bigger, stronger and more capable of putting himself about. Holroyd is a different type of striker, and one who needs nurturing, Poyet will have known that when signing him.

I don't think this is the right club to nurture players like him.

nurture ? he isn't 16 . He should be doing it on the pitch NOW.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Everyone treats him like he's still early teenage days, he's mid twenties and should be capable of at least LOOKING like scoring. If he was missing chances then that's a different matter, but he's not even coming close. I'm not saying he's a bad football, at times today he held the ball up really well. But he certainly isn't a clinical goalscorer and that's what we need, especially in a 4-5-1

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
at least davies got in the position to miss chances

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
at least davies got in the position to miss chances
Precisely.

Plus, people saying he's had no service seem to be forgetting that Barnes (who is no more suited to a lone forward role) was scoring in front of the same 10 players often enough. Holroyd comes in and suddenyl we're toothless.
His touch is ok and he's got a bit of pace but his movement and reading of the game are non league, he just runs in straight lines and wants a miracle pass. One point in the first half he was pointing where he wanted the ball to be passed from someone (down at his feet :facepalm: ) when the ball was clearly not on, there was a man between whoever had it, Hendrie probably, and him, and if he had somehow passed it THROUGH him Holroyd would've run straight into another defender. In the second half he was miles offside, a ball came over, someone else, probably Hendrie again, was coming from an onside position so the lino wasn't flagging, Holroyd took this to mean he was onside and went for the ball. :facepalm:

These are just a couple of examples, watch him in a game, he's never making the right runs or getting in the right positions. No striker's brain in that tiny head I'm afraid.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The debate's all but closed. Anybody still thinking Holroyd has any kind of future at the Albion is just being very very kind, bless, or is a relative of the player. When we're letting proven senior professionals like FDM go, its an insult to them to persevere with the likes of Holroyd who is patently non-league level. Sorry, but Gus has to bite the bullet on this one.

If Gus thinks Holroyd's a good player I'm gonna trust his opinion.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
some people need to get a grip.

No doubt about it, Holroyd's first touch, pace and passing are pretty decent.

Problem is, he gets nowhere f***ing NEAR the goal. Even Craig 'barndoor' Davies can't say that.

Get rid, sooner rather than later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here