Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Holmesdale Fanatics Press Release

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I personally like the energy they bring to the games at Selhurst, but I am not sure they should always get the special treatment they deserve, with reserved seats for away games. However, there is a significant number of the fans who are not black clad hoodie wearers but middle aged men that just try to bring something extra to the team.
Roy's return is certainly polarising, I dont personally know whether the HF are for or against, but they will still be there for the remaining games, trying to inspire the team

I got that impression on our last visit to Selhurst, that the rest of the crowd have given up trying to make any noise other than clapping along to 30 seconds of Glad all over. The constant and tiresome thumping of the drum, and incomprehensible droning noises are impossible for anyone else to join in.

Disappointing from the self-styled 'best atmosphere' in football.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting, as didnt Albion change their nickname from Dolphins to Seagulls?

Yes, you know that we did. Seagulls, being native to Brighton, seemed like a good choice, and done because fans liked taking the piss of Palace and their most ridiculous American Eagle nickname.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Claiming to be the oldest club and changing the club badge to reflect that?
Maybe I'd just forgotten (your memory goes when you get to mine and Roy's age) but I don't remember knowing they were changing their badge. What an absolute joke that club is:

"Crystal Palace are changing their crest to celebrate the club’s 1861 origins and its historic role in the development of modern football."

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

I am also aware that you consider many other teams to be tinpot, obviously starting with the Sheffield Massive
Well hello....

There's been a distinct lack of CP2010 fans on here since last Wednesday, not sure why....

Seeing as you're here, perhaps you could let us your thoughts on the game - PV could still be in a job in one of the three gilt edged chances had been taken in the first ten minutes.....

Instead, as I see it...

We move 15 points clear (basically 16 with GD) with three games in hand, possible European spot and an FA Cup Semi-Final and the guy you bought in to revolutionise the way you play is replaced by a football dinosaur.

Gonna be an interesting end to the season....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It takes time, how long did it take to get to the Amex after the Goldstone?
A shorter amount of time than your lot look set to take to upgrade an existing stand, the way things are going...

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast

I am also aware that you consider many other teams to be tinpot, obviously starting with the Sheffield Massive
We went one better. Before the nickname ‘Dolphins’ came in to being some bright spark, in the 1950s/60s, thought that the dolphins on the Brighton and Hove crest were shrimps! Hence for some years we were known as the ‘Shrimps’ - I would reckon that who ever was responsible for that gaffe was probably the inspiration for the raft of ‘Should have gone to Specsaver’ ads.

So we became the ‘Dolphins’ around about 1974/75 until your mob came down in 1976 for our 2-0 win (!) with your Eagles chant and responded to in kind with Seagulls - which is much more appropriate considering our seaside location.

P.S. The background story on how the name ‘Shrimps’ came about may be a load of bollocks, but at least it’s funny bollocks! :drink:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I was just thinking about their five year plan... when Ali G came to mind...
start_again_from_now.gif

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Yes, relevant though and in response to the rivalry. It evolved as clubs do.

Glazers to eagles, mmmmmm. Let me think.... no, no connection. Just folk trying to distance themselves from their club, town, history.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing

Our name change to Seagulls was as an ironic response to Eagles, it was born on the terraces. Yours was dreamed up by some marketing man in a sharp suit cos he thought Glaziers wasn't cool enough!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It takes time, how long did it take to get to the Amex after the Goldstone?
The more apt comparison would be how long after planning permission was finally granted and no longer subject to appeal, in which case it took 15 months to start work and a further 18 months to build.
Your new stand was granted planning permission in 2018.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
We went one better. Before the nickname ‘Dolphins’ came in to being some bright spark, in the 1950s/60s, thought that the dolphins on the Brighton and Hove crest were shrimps! Hence for some years we were known as the ‘Shrimps’ - I would reckon that who ever was responsible for that gaffe was probably the inspiration for the raft of ‘Should have gone to Specsaver’ ads.

So we became the ‘Dolphins’ around about 1974/75 until your mob came down in 1976 for our 2-0 win (!) with your Eagles chant and responded to in kind with Seagulls - which is much more appropriate considering our seaside location.

P.S. The background story on how the name ‘Shrimps’ came about may be a load of bollocks, but at least it’s funny bollocks! :drink:
I always thought ( or maybe assumed) that the Dolphin name was a reflection on the old Dolphinarium, which is now the sealife centre

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Do they find them as laughable as everybody else in football?

Seriously though, whilst most people I know find them laughable, very often the media, and commentators on both TV and radio fawn over them, seemingly loving their efforts creating a fantastic atmosphere at Selhurst Park.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One I know, really decent guy, doesn't go any more as he was kicked out of his seat (well, asked to move and he said no) in the lower tier of the Holmesdale Road when Parish agreed to move the HF to the middle of the stand.

I know another in this exact situation. He was absolutely furious at the club with the way they handled it and until the game against us this season hadn't been back. He has absolutely no time for the black clad morons.
To be fair to the HF, they do at least give Palace fans an excuse to not turn up during the bad times.

We all know that as soon as relegation is confirmed, they will lose 8,000 fans overnight. At least your two chums can blame it on the spotty binmen. (Well, until it turns out they don't want those seats in the Championship either)

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

I remember the Shrimps nickname.
I was about six and even at that age I was a bit embarrassed 😃

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here