Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Hollywood legend Kirk Douglas dies at 103

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Me neither. Jean Spangler is another.

Sadly, there was probably a lot of things like that back in the day. And we will likely never know which are the true claims. Remember when the "casting couch" was a joke?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Interesting to see Natalie Wood is trending on Twitter because of this - wasn't something I had heard before.

Amazing how brave people become when they know they can no longer be sued.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Amazing how brave people become when they know they can no longer be sued.
Given how many people posted the same thing, I am guessing it has been doing the rounds for a while. I do agree that the way it ramps up after someone dies is a bit distasteful. It always bugs me a very small amount when the BBC reference Savile. Whilst we are probably all 99.9999% sure he did what he was accused of, he was never convicted or even tried in a court of law. And yet suddenly he becomes the serial sex offender Savile on the news. Individuals saying it is to be expected but a major organisation using the "can't libel the dead" clause irks me a bit. Only on a procedural level before the usual suspects start foaming at the mouth.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Thought he was brilliant in The Vikings , and probably my favourite movie helmet of all time , RIP Einar

MV5BMTk5NjgxNTUyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzMwNDc3NA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,797,1000_AL_.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
One of my favourite (not best) actors of all time. Just great presence in whatever he did. I was lucky enough to see him in ‘A Man for All Seasons’ at the Theatre Royal Brighton at least 25 years ago. A brilliant performance that was outshone by the genius that was Roy Kinnear!

What happy days.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Interesting to see Natalie Wood is trending on Twitter i of this - wasn't something I had heard before.

I read about it about three years ago so the story was already out there when he was alive. It was allegedly when she was a teenage starlet.

There are a few photos where both Kirk Douglas and Natalie Wood are in together, all obviously taken later in Wood's career years after the alleged incident. In one of them Douglas is even holding her hand whilst talkng to her and Robert Wagner who Wood was married to. Both Wood and Wagner look relaxed and jovial, even a little in awe in Douglas's company and the atmosphere seems totally convivial.

I find it an interesting photo. While it could be read from that photo that the story about Douglas and Wood is false it could also be interpreted another way... how female actors had to just accept a lot of the things which happened to them in their industry, and also how it was considered acceptable and even tolerated by those in the industry, an attitude which still prevailed until very recently. Harvey Weinstein comes to mind. There are probably loads of photos which portray a similar convivial atmosphere of Weinstein and the many of the actresses he abused.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
One of my favourite (not best) actors of all time. Just great presence in whatever he did. I was lucky enough to see him in ‘A Man for All Seasons’ at the Theatre Royal Brighton at least 25 years ago. A brilliant performance that was outshone by the genius that was Roy Kinnear!

What happy days.

Oh dear! True of many American actors though l think, (generalising wildly here), all presence and not too much substance.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I read about it about three years ago so the story was already out there when he was alive. It was allegedly when she was a teenage starlet.

There are a few photos where both Kirk Douglas and Natalie Wood are in together, all obviously taken later in Wood's career years after the alleged incident. In one of them Douglas is even holding her hand whilst talkng to her and Robert Wagner who Wood was married to. Both Wood and Wagner look relaxed and jovial, even a little in awe in Douglas's company and the atmosphere seems totally convivial.

I find it an interesting photo. While it could be read from that photo that the story about Douglas and Wood is false it could also be interpreted another way... how female actors had to just accept a lot of the things which happened to them in their industry, and also how it was considered acceptable and even tolerated by those in the industry, an attitude which still prevailed until very recently. Harvey Weinstein comes to mind. There are probably loads of photos which portray a similar convivial atmosphere of Weinstein and the many of the actresses he abused.

I believe she was 16 at the time which puts a different spin on it.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-kirk-douglas-snap-story.html

Kirk Douglas Helped End Hollywood Blacklist.

Never a fan of the Hollywood studio system — he likened the standard seven-year studio contract to slavery — Douglas launched his own independent production company in 1955.

Named after Douglas’ immigrant mother, the Bryna Co. produced a number of films in which Douglas starred, including director Stanley Kubrick’s landmark anti-war film, “Paths of Glory,” “The Vikings” and “Spartacus.” Douglas’ Joel Productions, named after one of his sons, also produced “Seven Days in May” and “Lonely Are the Brave.”

As executive producer of “Spartacus,” Douglas helped end the Hollywood blacklist by giving blacklisted writer Dalton Trumbo screen credit under his own name for his work on the 1960 Roman-Empire epic that starred Douglas as the gladiator-trained slave revolt leader.

In acknowledgment of a career that spanned more than 60 years and more than 80 films, Douglas was honored late in life with numerous major awards: The American Film Institute’s Life Achievement Award, a Kennedy Center Honor, a Screen Actors Guild Life Achievement Award and an honorary Oscar for his “50 years as a creative and moral force in the motion picture community.”

“I immediately focused on him because he was different,” Basinger told The Times. “He wasn’t a traditional leading man, really, in looks, and yet he had an unmistakable charisma and power on screen — not just the glamour of the movie star, though he did have that, but real acting chops. So you knew he was going to be a star.”

Douglas, she said, “embodied the antihero in movies” in films such as “Champion” and “Ace in the Hole,” in which he played an unscrupulous newspaper reporter who cynically exploits a tragedy to boost his career.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The War Wagon alongside Big John Wayne. Plus HoT, S, PoG and TV...five epics just for starters! What a star he was. Possibly only Clint Eastwood ranks alongside as being one of the great great Hollywood actors and producers remaining that come close.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est retiré.
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
One hundred and three! Even if you thought his acting was shit, you've got to respect his longevity!!

Fair play to him. He's seen more flange than a Harley Street Gynaecologist, drunk more champagne than the chief taster for Waitrose, driven more luxury cars than Jeremy Clarkson - and spawned a child who has done pretty much the same!

He can die with both thumbs up, :thumbsup::salute:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here