Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holidays during term time.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Can't believe some of the crap being posted on here. Reading some of the posts you would suspect that these 'term time' holidays last about 6/7 weeks! A child in reception missing one week of the school year is not going to be disadvantaged purely because of that. They will be disadvantaged if they have a poor teacher and/or parents who think that education is something that only happens in a school. Cost is important and people should not underestimate the benefits of family spending quality time together. I agree that head teachers should have to authorise absence but should be done on a case by case basis. If you have kid that is frequently off through illness or truancy then they don't get the authority.

Friends of mine took their kids out of school when they were about 8 and 10 for a year and travelled across North America. They have both turned out to be great young adults.

Yeah I can't believe some of the crap from parents too.

D

Deleted member 22389

This sort of comment makes me seethe. My Missus is a teacher, so let me educate you.

Training days - the clue is in the word 'training'. This means that they are on a course, learning about the latest government crackpot scheme to make a teacher's job even more difficult than it is already. Then again, maybe your job doesn't involve the need for any training.

Inset days - Not a day off, but a day of work at the school preparing for the new term/reviewing the past term. Receiving some training, report writing, lesson planning and reviewing & understanding changes in the education system that the government continuously like to make and more.

Masses of holiday time - during the school year, most of this is spent marking and preparing lesson plans for the new term ahead. People think that the summer holiday gives teachers 6 weeks off to enjoy themselves. Take one week off at the beginning to clear the classroom of last year's work and take one off at the end to go in and set the classroom up for the new year. This leave 4 weeks which is the equivalent of most peoples Annual Leave entitlement. How many people have jobs which dictate when you can take your holiday?

Occasional strike - Not going to go into the why's and wherfors of this on this thread.

Many parents see their children's teacher as a free childminding service. Teachers work incredibly hard, often late into the night (I know this from experience of being woken in the small hours when the other half comes to bed) and deserve more respect than some (not all) people give.

As for Dr Q's comment about a parent asking a teacher to do some extra lessons for their child for free, I nearly spat my tea over my keyboard!

My wife is also a teacher and well said.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
My wife is also a teacher and well said.

"Hear, hear" he says, the teacher says, nicking a little time off from his summer uni coursework to chime in.

we hate palace

Aug 4, 2012
north chailey
Most people take their kids out of class because they have no responsibility, they are bad parents and are putting themselves before their kids education.

what a load of bollocks i know people that have taken there kids out of school to give there kids a holiday and they are very good parents, but teachers dont seem to care about childrens education when they go on strike during school time

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We always took ours out of school for holidays; the child's education does not suffer one iota. Not one tiny jot. Education is not something that's done to children is specific, set places, it's an ongoing, continual process. Anyone who says otherwise is either talking bollocks or is a shit parent.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Depends, if you are a seasonal worker like me. Meaning I don't get Christmas bank holidays etc off and have to work mostly during the school holidays without a a few days off. Then I am entitled to take the kids out for 2 weeks in January for ski holiday. It's educational as the kids learn to ski and also I speak German to my kids and they learn also from speaking German to other kids in ski school. If I do get enough leave priority that allows me to take holiday during Febuary half term then I will. But until then, I'll take them out of school. We ask for homework to take with us and they do 1 hour in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. My kids learn more in those 2 weeks than if they'd have been at school.

Taking time out of school simply because if price issue is irresponsible tho.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Depends, if you are a seasonal worker like me. Meaning I don't get Christmas bank holidays etc off and have to work mostly during the school holidays without a a few days off. Then I am entitled to take the kids out for 2 weeks in January for ski holiday. It's educational as the kids learn to ski and also I speak German to my kids and they learn also from speaking German to other kids in ski school. If I do get enough leave priority that allows me to take holiday during Febuary half term then I will. But until then, I'll take them out of school. We ask for homework to take with us and they do 1 hour in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. My kids learn more in those 2 weeks than if they'd have been at school.

Taking time out of school simply because if price issue is irresponsible tho.
Can't agree wih it all but in so far as the cost element per se is unacceptable, absolutely agree.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Some very interesting and thought provoking comments on here. Does anyone actually teach at Primary level. If so I'd love your opinion.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Most people take the children out because its a lot cheaper, and why not. So many judgemental people on here.
The education system does not work for some people, and they are being failed by government.
Children do not leave school without any qualifications, because they have taken a couple of weeks a year in term time for a family holiday. Children who bunk of school throughout their school life, are not going on holiday,or children who disrupt lessons and teaching time, do so because the systm has failed them in some way. I think you will find that the vast majority of children that go abroad during school time are not behind with their school work.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Parents who take holidays in school time are plain selfish and care little for their childrens future, its not just a couple of weeks , its every year.
Its simple if you cannot afford the price to go abroad then spend it at home and plan treats,have together time which is limited during the rest of the year.
Would you be happy if your childs teacher took time off to take his family on holiday during term time,of course you would not,end off.

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Parents who take holidays in school time are plain selfish and care little for their childrens future, its not just a couple of weeks , its every year.
Its simple if you cannot afford the price to go abroad then spend it at home and plan treats,have together time which is limited during the rest of the year.
Would you be happy if your childs teacher took time off to take his family on holiday during term time,of course you would not,end off.

And does your opinion differ if we are talking about reception, yr1 or yr2, ie infant school age children? I fully agree with you when considering latter junior school, secondary school age children but can sympathise with families where the kids are young and perhaps for reasons other than money they take a week or so out of the school timetable.....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The term system, massive holidays are hugely outdated now. A vast amount of what the kids learn is irrelevant. It was all designed around a farming and engineering population. Long holidays to help with harvest, maths curriculum that teaches you how to work in a factory in 1925. So yeah, take them away when you can afford it, they aren't missing anything important for a couple of weeks really and the holiday companies should be forced to lower their prices. I went out with a teacher for 8 years and holiday's cost us a fortune as we had to go on her holidays, if you're a parent with kids you could double that. Nah, get em abroad.
Reception and Primary was what she teaches and tbh if you have interacted with your kid like a decent parent should they are gonna be okay.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Most people take their kids out of class because they have no responsibility, they are bad parents and are putting themselves before their kids education.

Are you a parent then? If so, take it your holidays never start during term time.

Can't believe some of the crap being posted on here. Reading some of the posts you would suspect that these 'term time' holidays last about 6/7 weeks! A child in reception missing one week of the school year is not going to be disadvantaged purely because of that. They will be disadvantaged if they have a poor teacher and/or parents who think that education is something that only happens in a school. Cost is important and people should not underestimate the benefits of family spending quality time together. I agree that head teachers should have to authorise absence but should be done on a case by case basis. If you have kid that is frequently off through illness or truancy then they don't get the authority.

Friends of mine took their kids out of school when they were about 8 and 10 for a year and travelled across North America. They have both turned out to be great young adults.

Yeah I can't believe some of the crap from parents too.

You're obviously not one then! The OP seems to be finishing his education to become a teacher hence his comments. Which specific comments by parents do you think are crap and what is your expertise, ie are you another teacher complaining or did your parents take you out of school when you were young leaving you disadvantaged?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here