Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Holidaying in Sardinia

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Thinking of going to Sardinia in early October (international break). Does anyone have any experience of the place. I would be getting an apartment but would be relying on transport. I have said Sardinia but also considering Corsica as have been to neither. I am 68 so won't be looking to walk too much and not too interested in a pulsating night life though keen to see any local wildlife.. Any thoughts, info etc will be good. and before anyone says it, I am looking at google as well.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I've been there many, many times for work and it is fantastic! Food is off the scale, some of the best beaches
in the world and the people are great. You can drive from one end of the island to the other in half a day.
Look into Agriturismo places to stay. They are like B&Bs as we know them, but they cook home made, local specialties
and are great for meeting fellow travellers. We hired a car and it's quite a quiet island for traffic, although
parking can be a problem in the towns. I would avoid Costa Smeralda (very pricey and out of our range).
But do go. You won't regret it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
SAGA are probably a safer bet than NSC

having said that ( no offence, I'm eligible too!) . . . Google everything . . . . Maps is most useful.

flights
hotels( with all you need, or don't)
restaurants
local highlights . . . Be they historic and/or of interest . . . . Or banging 48hr bi curious techno clubs . . . . Who knows!

It wasn't long ago we just went to places . . . . Now we can easily pre check, or as I have, use it to pick nice places to stop, stay and visit on road trips . . . .

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
Been to Cagliari a couple of times, it's a fantastic place to visit & probably the best place to go if you've not got a car.
A ride on the little green train is a great day out.
As others have said the people are really helpful and friendly

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Went there in October in 2015. Beautiful place. nice weather. We enjoyed exploring the town Zola came from! Recomended.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I used to live there. As others have said, the food and beaches are incredible. It's a bit tricky getting off the beaten track if you don't have a car though.

Cagliari is a nice little city and it's a 20 minute bus ride to the nearest beach. Easy to do day trips to nearby towns and beaches too. I recommend catching a match while you're there if possible.

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020
I’ll be there in 2 weeks time on an all inclusive With the adult family (dad, mum & 18 & 20yr old). It’s going to be relaxing, not partying. I hope it’s going to be better than the Trip Advisor reviews that Mrs Blinkers is feeding me because it ain’t cheap. I’ll report back anything relevant. And I’ll post a picture of my towel to the thread I started without actually posting a picture to it!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Loved the place - can only endorse what other people have said about the beaches.

I don't drive and got around fine. I hired a bike and cycled up into mountains, that was tough but the views were fantastic. Coming down was hairy though - felt like I was in the Giro the speeds I was reaching.

(In case you think that's for youngsters, I'm 67 - although I was 44 when I visited - I still wouldn't hesitate to hire a bike if we went again though)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sardinia is wonderful. The Cala Gonone area we stayed in initially needed the use of a car really so maybe not suitable, but we finished our trip in Alghero - which is a pretty town with a string of undeveloped beaches nearby that are possibly accessible by public transport. Might be worth a look. A mate of mine has been to Corsica too - and much preferred Sardinia.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Mrs.Punal and I went to Sardinia about 15 years ago and stayed in Alghero which is on the north west coast of the island. Our accommodation was a grotty holiday flat which overlooked a narrow side street, opposite was another flat where four girls were living. Their balcony doors were always open and they were in the habit of wandering around both on and off the balcony in the buff. Mrs.P was disgusted, I was intrigued - pervy me!

Anyway, it’s a lovely island and Alghero is a wonderful town with lots of decent restaurants and bars. The beaches are fabulous. Be warned though the sea is very cold which is surprising for the Mediterranean. Be warned, twice, there are a lot of tat merchants selling all sorts of crap who will disturb you constantly. Up the coast from Alghero is the place (can’t remember the name) where Mussolini used to hang out.

As you would expect for an island in the Med the weather was hot and sunny for the whole of our stay (August). I’m not sure what it would be like in the autumn, maybe cooler with a bit of rain? The real bonus for us was that we flew direct from Southampton to Alghero (and back). From disembarking the plane to leaving the airport by car took 10 minutes - double bonus!

All in all a great holiday. I hope you have a wonderful time while you’re out there. :thumbsup:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Mrs.Punal and I went to Sardinia about 15 years ago and stayed in Alghero which is on the north west coast of the island. Our accommodation was a grotty holiday flat which overlooked a narrow side street, opposite was another flat where four girls were living. Their balcony doors were always open and they were in the habit of wandering around both on and off the balcony in the buff. Mrs.P was disgusted, I was intrigued - pervy me!

Anyway, it’s a lovely island and Alghero is a wonderful town with lots of decent restaurants and bars. The beaches are fabulous. Be warned though the sea is very cold which is surprising for the Mediterranean. Be warned, twice, there are a lot of tat merchants selling all sorts of crap who will disturb you constantly. Up the coast from Alghero is the place (can’t remember the name) where Mussolini used to hang out.

As you would expect for an island in the Med the weather was hot and sunny for the whole of our stay (August). I’m not sure what it would be like in the autumn, maybe cooler with a bit of rain? The real bonus for us was that we flew direct from Southampton to Alghero (and back). From disembarking the plane to leaving the airport by car took 10 minutes - double bonus!

All in all a great holiday. I hope you have a wonderful time while you’re out there. :thumbsup:
I've been there in October (as I'm sure others on here have). Very warm (definitely not baking hot though) and a lovely
temperature usually in that month.

Bald Head

Jul 20, 2022
Brighton
I've been there many, many times for work and it is fantastic! Food is off the scale, some of the best beaches
in the world and the people are great. You can drive from one end of the island to the other in half a day.
Look into Agriturismo places to stay. They are like B&Bs as we know them, but they cook home made, local specialties
and are great for meeting fellow travellers. We hired a car and it's quite a quiet island for traffic, although
parking can be a problem in the towns. I would avoid Costa Smeralda (very pricey and out of our range).
But do go. You won't regret it.
The wife and myself have just booked one month in Costa Smeralda as we have considerably more money than thou.:D But seriously we have been looking for somewhere different to visit but will take your advice.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The wife and myself have just booked one month in Costa Smeralda as we have considerably more money than thou.:D But seriously we have been looking for somewhere different to visit but will take your advice.
I used to holiday in Sardinia for 3 weeks a year and get paid for it at http://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/Pagine/default.aspx :)

The accommodation and food wasn't great and there was no pool but the beer was very cheap and convenient for flights.

Only ever did the south of the island but loved Caggi and the secluded beaches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here