Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holidaying in JORDAN

Easyjet annoncing a new route to Amman provides an ideal opportunity to tick another country off the list. Question is, is Amman suitable for a week or would two or three nights suffice?

Additionally, is it worth doing a day trip to Jerusalem and Bethlehem? Apparently a few countries get a bit funny if they spot an Israeli stamp in your passport.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Easyjet annoncing a new route to Amman provides an ideal opportunity to tick another country off the list. Question is, is Amman suitable for a week or would two or three nights suffice?

Additionally, is it worth doing a day trip to Jerusalem and Bethlehem? Apparently a few countries get a bit funny if they spot an Israeli stamp in your passport.

You can ask the Israeli immigration not to stamp your passport. An Israeli stamp rules out trips to most of the Arab world. Don't know if you can cross from Jordan by land though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I believe a brief sojourn in Jordan is a popular passtime with any number of minor celebrities, sportsmen, singers etc. :blush:

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
To be honest, Beirut is supposed to be a better bet at the moment. Before the troubles it was the party capital of the Middle East, now it's calm again, they've rebuilt everything. At the moment it's the best of both worlds, a good party city, one of the few places in the Middle East where you can drink with no problem (it's half Christian), but the stag night crowd haven't caught on yet!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Lived in Jordan for a while (but quite some time ago). It is an incredible country but doesn't have the PR of some of its neighbours, so often overlooked. Personally I would do a long weekend. If you fall in love with the place go back again.

Not to be missed:

Petra (of course) - ideally you need to stay down there overnight to see everything.

Petra+%25282%2529.jpg

Jerash (Roman city that just appeared when the sand shifted - staggeringly beautiful):

101401_l.jpg

Wadi Rum - Lawrence of Arabia Country - real desert:

3156342-Travel_Picture-Wadi_Rum.jpg

Kerak - crusader castle with walls 50' thick:

kerak_castle.jpg

The Dead Sea - not as flashy as the Israeli saide - but still floaty!

Dead_Sea_Jordan.jpg

Amman itself id a bit of a dump, but the amphitheatre is impressive:

amman_panorama.jpg

We lived in the North near Umm Quays (Gaderra). Small Roman city where the swine supposedly jumped into the sea (many mile off):

img_umm_qays.jpg

Defo worth a trip.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
One of teh Lads at work has been and he though tit was great. He's coming on the stag so you can ask him then.

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
I went to Jordan a couple of years ago for 10 days and spent 5 nights in the Amman/ Dead Sea area. The Dead Sea is only about an hours drive from Amman. Petra is also worth a visit but takes about 4 hours by car from Amman. The remainder of our time we spend in Aqaba on the Red Sea ( which is another couple of hours from Petra). Didn't go to Israel so can't help you there.

Last edited:

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
I was out there about 3 1/2 years ago (mate and I bought an old landrover and drove from the UK). All the things THRK recommends are definitely worth a visit; the best for me was Wadi Rum as we had our own landrover so we could just hire a guide and raz it around the desert for a day.

We also did a couple of days in Israel, got the bus from Amman to the border (asked not to get a stamp and they obliged) and then another bus on from there. Jerusalem was very impressive, so go if you can.

All in all, well worth a long weekend, but more than enough for longer if you have the time.

LondonSaint

Apr 2, 2010
Jordan is great,BUT......

Syria is better

Recently spent 6 days in Jordan and 6 days in Syria.
Yes the Red Sea,Dead sea and Petra were briliant, we all found Syria much more interesting though.

The people are the friendliest i've ever encounterd anywhere, crac de chevalier is far more impressive than kerak and the roman ruins were more imressive than jerash too.

Best of all was Damascus-stunning city-allepo in the north was interesting too.

have a great trip anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here