Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It’s either proof of vaccination letters from nhs OR pcr test. We have the proof of vaccination letters so will be ok.

Plus PCR test to get back into this country shirley? Plus a couple once you're home? Post #953 above is your friend here. Well, at least til the change the rules again

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Yep, a walk in the park and that's just for those that are double jabbed.....

Unless of course if you are double jabbed but were given a jab from one of the Indian batches then even your double jab status counts for nothing.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Plus PCR test to get back into this country shirley? Plus a couple once you're home? Post #953 above is your friend here. Well, at least til the change the rules again
Lateral Flow fine to get back into the UK and Portugal accept same for entry.

C19 testing does a test for £30 and you self test and take a photo of the test cassette by email and they send a fit to fly certificate back.

Friends of mine used it to get into Portugal and they said they could have swabbed the dog 4 times!

Sent from my T770H using Tapatalk

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Maybe helpful for those who are baffled by all the choices / options / systems that are presented, regarding getting the appropriate testing before flying out / returning - with what looks to me like helpful ranking of providers, for both cost and satisfaction ratings -

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jul/17/holiday-covid-tests-best-price-trust-time-provider

My personal choice is to stay in the UK for the foreseeable, but for those determined to travel abroad, I hope this is of some value.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Any travel insurer recommendations, please?

Covering the worst case scenarios described in recent posts.

Which Magazine give Barclays Bank Travel Pack and HSBC Select and Cover their top two ratings for travel insurance for Covid. They give plenty more providers in the next level of rating, too. As ever, you need to check that either of these cover your specific needs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Had no holiday plans but struggling to deal with the heat over here and thinking about going somewhere for a week to cool down. Any advice?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which Magazine give Barclays Bank Travel Pack and HSBC Select and Cover their top two ratings for travel insurance for Covid. They give plenty more providers in the next level of rating, too. As ever, you need to check that either of these cover your specific needs.

Thanks. We subscribe to Which and Holiday Which …. I’ll have a look.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Had no holiday plans but struggling to deal with the heat over here and thinking about going somewhere for a week to cool down. Any advice?

Iceland.

Have Swedes just been given the green light to travel overseas? Our friends in Lidkoping always go the Greek Islands at the beginning of August, never earlier. But they’ve rushed there this week …. presumably before the Swedish government changes its mind, to get their holiday in.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Anyone got any experience of insuring themselves against scenarios such as having to cancel your holiday due to contracting Covid?

We’re staying in the UK this year as I can’t be doing with the stress of trying to get abroad with two kids and a wife with a low stress threshold. We’ve basically plumped for a tour of various Premier Inns, combined with local theme parks and other tourist attractions, as it seems to be the best way to circumvent the huge (if understandable) inflation in UK holiday prices this year. We’re looking at a combo of Oxford, Torquay, and Cornwall - we’re northern so that passes as at least relatively exotic for us.

It works out at about £85 a night on average which is a fraction of what I’m seeing offered you on the likes of Airbnb and private hotels in popular areas. To get that price though means paying up front with no option of cancellation, which is a bummer if you go on to catch the ‘rona. My wife and I work from home, we’re both double-jabbed and the kids will be off school, but it just feels like more of an inevitability as things are relaxed.

It will cost an extra £500 or so to have the option of last-minute cancellation, so I’m wondering if there are any insurers out there offering an equivalent facility for less? Thoughts welcome.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Anyone got any experience of insuring themselves against scenarios such as having to cancel your holiday due to contracting Covid?

We’re staying in the UK this year as I can’t be doing with the stress of trying to get abroad with two kids and a wife with a low stress threshold. We’ve basically plumped for a tour of various Premier Inns, combined with local theme parks and other tourist attractions, as it seems to be the best way to circumvent the huge (if understandable) inflation in UK holiday prices this year. We’re looking at a combo of Oxford, Torquay, and Cornwall - we’re northern so that passes as at least relatively exotic for us.

It works out at about £85 a night on average which is a fraction of what I’m seeing offered you on the likes of Airbnb and private hotels in popular areas. To get that price though means paying up front with no option of cancellation, which is a bummer if you go on to catch the ‘rona. My wife and I work from home, we’re both double-jabbed and the kids will be off school, but it just feels like more of an inevitability as things are relaxed.

It will cost an extra £500 or so to have the option of last-minute cancellation, so I’m wondering if there are any insurers out there offering an equivalent facility for less? Thoughts welcome.

Have you looked at post #967?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m kind of sanguine about things at the moment. Have cancelled or rearranged several trips (some more than once) and currently have a load booked (all on changeable or refundable terms). No idea which ones will go ahead. What will be, will be - but if I get the chance to go abroad I will.

Went to Scotland last week - going through Gatwick and Edinburgh airports and associated car parking/hire was absolute bliss. No queues anywhere.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Double bollox TUI just cancelled Lanzarote trip leaving 02nd August

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION]. Grab a flights bargain, there’s so much capacity after the amber list expansion and a hotel through booking.com (for example). Both double vax’d, you’ll face far less testing and bureaucracy. So much accommodation is available.

Independent travelling (always our preference and you’re not at the whim of an overly cautious/cutting their losses tour operator cancelling), we’re off to Ibiza on Monday. Fingers have been crossed for weeks, I’ve got the vaccination certs, testing arranged there and on day 2 after our return, just the online Spanish entry forms to complete and UK a bit later on.

I don’t get stressed by this added aggravation or travel in general, a small price to pay for a break overseas.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've just booked a week in Montreal and Quebec City for August. I'm looking forward to getting away even though I'm not leaving Canada.

I'm going to be in the UK for most of November. I really hope it's possible to at least get a few days in Europe too. A bit of sun in the Med would be perfect.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just been to the Cotswolds for a few days….third short break in 3 weeks, also went to Scotland and Margate.

Interesting in the hotel. On Tuesday, mask-wearing was probably 80-90% of people indoors, including all staff. By this morning that was down to maybe 20% and no staff wearing them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here