Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What I'm really looking forward to is the following binfest

Lots of 70 and 80 year old start booking holidays as they've had their vaccine and can go to Spain or wherever without any issues. Meanwhile, the younger generation who've stayed in to protect the elderly are stuck in the UK as Country A won't let them in without a COVID vaccine passport as they are too far down the queue to obtain it. You can see it coming.

Yes, and it's not only CV19 where the young are bearing the brunt.
A question (which is not necessarily for you, but apt for this thread): my partner and I are over 50 (just), so we're at the end of the first round of vaccinations, which look as though they'll be out the way by April/May.
We've got two holidays booked: one in Ireland for a week in the May/June half term; the other in the Dordogne from early August. We have a 14yo, who in all likelihood won't be vaccinated by either of those dates, certainly the France one. Is it likely that we won't be accepted into Ireland and/or France on the basis of his non-vaccination? (I know that absolute answers to this question are not viable at present, I'm more after thoughts/inputs).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Disagree.

If we have no Summer flights then it's goodbye to the Aviation Industry and some major Holiday Companies too.

I see late Summer (from September onwards) as being fairly 'normal'

I admit to having flights book in March (won't be going) end June (possible) mid September (sure this will be fine) and December (100% sure will be OK)

As an aside I went to Greece in September 2020 - it certainly wasn't 'highly sanitised'

That's very optimistic, I tihnk it'll take most of the year before the great unwashed are vaccinated, Civilised European countries will overtake us, we won't be allowed to travel there as we'll still be struggling, and then the vaccines will need renewing ( although there may well be new ones along by then ) It's all a bit of a lottery still.

The only sanitizer Greece knows is Ouzo.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
A question (which is not necessarily for you, but apt for this thread): my partner and I are over 50 (just), so we're at the end of the first round of vaccinations, which look as though they'll be out the way by April/May.
We've got two holidays booked: one in Ireland for a week in the May/June half term; the other in the Dordogne from early August. We have a 14yo, who in all likelihood won't be vaccinated by either of those dates, certainly the France one. Is it likely that we won't be accepted into Ireland and/or France on the basis of his non-vaccination? (I know that absolute answers to this question are not viable at present, I'm more after thoughts/inputs).

I'm caught in 2 minds. On the one hand, tourism is worth a packet to the countries impacted and they have lost a small fortune due to COVID. There is no economic incentive to keep people away but - and it's a big but - things are unlikely to be back to normal this summer and Whitty has already hinted at restrictions next winter and we are further down the vaccine road than anyone else. That's before we even get into a debate about whether the Brazil or SA variants are vaccine resistant (The Brazil one in particular sounds ominous). Some countries will be cautious as a result. We may get round it by Testing pre and post holiday but the big tick in the box will be the vaccine and that won't be fully rolled out then. At the very least I'd be expecting a period of isolation and a test.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

The vaccines haven’t been tested on or licensed for under 16s. They will either need an exemption from needing the vaccination certificate or family foreign holidays are finished.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Most countries are a long way behind us though and I think the majority are also vaccinating as recommended within 4 weeks of first jab so it is highly likely by summer foreign destinations will only have a small fraction of their populations fully immunised. Given all of the mutations the worst thing that could happen is millions cris-crossing Europe and further afield bringing back a host of different strains, and inevitably these will mutate into strains that the vaccines will not be fully effective against. I hope domestic life and holidays are near normal this summer but I think there will inevitably still be some restrictions.

Some radio presenters, opinionated celebs (eg a mildly hysterical Nina Myskow on C5 this morning) and members of the public are getting wound up about the "mutant" word. It raises alarm bells, sounds dramatic.

It's undesirable of course, as are all the linked, awful Coronavirus deaths, but it is completely normal with any virus. Scientists are used to dealing with mutations as they arise from all viruses. They've been reassuring in recent days, now that the code of the first virus is known and vaccines successfully developed, the hard bit is done, they can react very swiftly to subsequent mutations.

The world will look very differently come April I think.

Continental Europe was slow to get the ball rolling, a blunder, but they will get on with vaccinating. The biggest obstacle, not covered on NSC I don't think, is that a huge proportion of the French are saying that they won't be vaccinated! Plus some intra-EU politics crept into the programme.

Aside from that, I know from Swiss and Austrian connections that they're both desparate to welcome back UK tourists. Moreover, they need to income for their hard hit hotels and so on. When safe to do so.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely this.

Life will be nowhere near normal in the UK this summer and we're well ahead with vaccination plans, I can't imagine whether foreign holidays will be allowed or encouraged, if they do it will be a highly sanitised, different experience.

Starting to feel a bit sorry for you with your palpable pessimism on almost anything Covid-related. Hope you’re ok........

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fair enough. I suppose I meant optimistic rather than brave. We will have been vaccinated by May but with the uncertainty over the new variants and the fact that most will still be waiting for their jab, we think we will still be being cautious. I really can’t afford to get Covid and 90 % protection only works for me if infection rates are much lower than at present. Fingers crossed that will be the case but there are unknown unknowns about the next few months.

Oh certainly optimistic.........like I said I think the May trip is doubtful but not so much the others. The places we’ve booked are open now in fact, and flights are operational. I’m quite confident of being vaccinated before then (wouldn’t expect to be allowed in anywhere without it). It’s not just down to how we’re dealing with it of course - also on the destination. If we can’t do any of them we’ll substitute with something we can do.......

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm hoping to use a near 2k villa voucher!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Most countries are a long way behind us though and I think the majority are also vaccinating as recommended within 4 weeks of first jab so it is highly likely by summer foreign destinations will only have a small fraction of their populations fully immunised. Given all of the mutations the worst thing that could happen is millions cris-crossing Europe and further afield bringing back a host of different strains, and inevitably these will mutate into strains that the vaccines will not be fully effective against. I hope domestic life and holidays are near normal this summer but I think there will inevitably still be some restrictions.

How is it inevitable that vaccines won't be effective against any future, perceived, mutataions? or Is your name Chris Whitty?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Got a ferry booking to France deferred from last Easter coming up this summer. It's to a remote farmhouse deep in French countryside so if we are allowed to go we will as very little risk of catching anything whilst there and just being very sensible on the ferry. We're under 50 so no chance of being vaccinated before then. Fingers crossed it will happen.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Lots of 70 and 80 year old start booking holidays as they've had their vaccine and can go to Spain or wherever without any issues. Meanwhile, the younger generation who've stayed in to protect the elderly are stuck in the UK as Country A won't let them in without a COVID vaccine passport as they are too far down the queue to obtain it. You can see it coming.

My folks, who have been hardcore shielding and have hardly left their house since March and not had anyone round, have already booked flights for about 2 weeks after their second jabs are due! They can't wait. Seems a lot of their friends are doing similar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here