Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoax nurse found dead

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I agree. It was a silly prank and I can't imagine how bad they will feel when they hear about this. Now they will have to face trial by media. I feel a bit sorry for them.
Yes, it was a silly / idiotic prank, but i'm not sure they deserve anyones' sympathy. The DJ's must've known that they were going to cause trouble for someone. It was a serious breach of security and someone was bound to lose their job over it, at the very least. Sadly, it cost someone their life instead...

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
my point over and over again is yes, you could reasonably predict this could end very badly for an innocent person. you dont have to be eva petulengro to see that.

Like I said, that's where I think we disagree. And will have to agree to disagree. I'm certainly not a genius, but I don't know who Eva Petulengro is either :eek:)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
i would rather have a blame culture than one of childish lack of consequence or any need to think about potential repercussions for someone.

That's very extremist, there is no way the DJs could possibly have suspected there was even a chance someone would react like this. It is not their fault, not at all. If you disagree, then that's fine and we'll agree to disagree.

Exactly. It now appears according to Sky at the moment that she was getting grief from fellow staff as a result. Fill your boots people, let's all clamber up the moral high ground over them now.

We deffinitely think alike on this issue! Best time to leave this thread and let it run now for me, not worth getting involved with.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Anyone who blames the DJs for this is a moron.

As if anyone in their right mind would kill themselves just because they answered the phone to a prank call. There's much more to it than this, and people should stop and think about what the REAL reason for her suicide is before starting a witch hunt.

The ironic thing is that all those baying for blood are arguably in a morally worse place by going after someone for what amounts to nothing more than a coincidence than the people doing the prank call in the first place.

Once again we will have a trial by media and tabliod mentality fromthe masses

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
if they never expected to get through then why do it. they had a go. they wanted to get through. secondly you could anticipate a bad ending to this for someone on the recieving end,(admittedly not this bad) if you had half a brain. you could reasonably predict that by doing this would get you deceiving a an average person who could be absolutely monstered by her employers who happen to be currently shitting themselves at being answerable to one of the worlds most influential families, should you succeed. you don't have to be a genius to predict that potential chain of events.

pranks backfire but why f***ing do it if you can pause for a minute and realise that the end result of any success would be at least getting a 'little' person f***ing chucked out of their job. pricks.
Spot on.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Anyone who blames the DJs for this is a moron.

As if anyone in their right mind would kill themselves just because they answered the phone to a prank call. There's much more to it than this, and people should stop and think about what the REAL reason for her suicide is before starting a witch hunt.

The ironic thing is that all those baying for blood are arguably in a morally worse place by going after someone for what amounts to nothing more than a coincidence than the people doing the prank call in the first place.

Once again we will have a trial by media and tabliod mentality fromthe masses

sometimes witch hunts find witches.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
That's very extremist, there is no way the DJs could possibly have suspected there was even a chance someone would react like this. It is not their fault, not at all. If you disagree, then that's fine and we'll agree to disagree.

We deffinitely think alike on this issue! Best time to leave this thread and let it run now for me, not worth getting involved with.

you are missing my point mate. at no point do i say they could have predicted she would top herself. but if she had simply been sacked you would never have heard of it, and never known she lost her job 2 weeks before christmas in the worst recession in living memory. which is still f***ing pretty bad and reason enough not to do prickish things. now when i heard about this call the fisrt thought into my head was f***ing hell someones getting sacked. thats not a difficult leap from prank call to end result.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
How far do you take it though?

Should no one make a prank call ever again in case the recipient of the call kills themselves afterwards?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

Should no one make a prank call ever again in case the recipient of the call kills themselves afterwards?

no dont make any that might cause people loads of grief in real life. its that simple. we wouldnt have known about more minor implications for her, no matter how bad they may be. doesnt mean they are not real though. if she had just been sacked i would still think these people are thoughtless nasty idiots.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
you are missing my point mate. at no point do i say they could have predicted she would top herself. but if she had simply been sacked you would never have heard of it, and never known she lost her job 2 weeks before christmas in the worst recession in living memory. which is still f***ing pretty bad and reason enough not to do prickish things.

The flip side of that is that mabye people should follow due process when giving out sensitve information over the phone. If you make mistakes at work you get told off.

In any case that is all hear'say, she wasn't the one who gave out information and she wasn't disciplined. I've no doubt the poor woman must've been in a bad place to take her own life (who isn't) but she did not do it because of a prank call, no way, not ever.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Whatever prank people pull.....you have to consider the potential consequences. The very least this 'prank' was going to do, was hold up the victims for public ridicule throughout the world. Now I dont agree that a so-called 'prank' is worth doing that to people.

Sad that two children dont have a mother tonight.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Back it up a moment, they made a telephone call. They put on silly accents and were told more than they should have been. That's it. That's all there is. Whatever has killed this woman, they're hardly responsible. I know there's a strong blame culture in society, and even more so on NSC, but there isn't ALWAYS a need to blame someone.

This is a pretty sad story, for so many reasons.

Your last paragraph contradicts what has gone on completely, Ninja Elephant.

They didn't think at all on the consequences it could and has caused. A nurse who felt proud to be looking after Kate and growing increasingly close to the Royal family at a happy time for them has gone from the high of her profession to the crushing low of being bullied, ridiculed by the media and feeling there was only one way out. Imagining how she felt before her death. That is an absolutely awful tragedy.

But of course in your view those radio presenters aren't to blame at all. Wrong completely.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For what it's worth, regarding blame and foresight, my opinion is:

-The "prank" was not so innocent because of the nature of the questions they asked when they got through. They may not have expected to get through, but if they didn't they would not have had a skit for the show, so it would be foolish to think they didn't want to get through and didn't prepare just in case. As I mentioned in the other thread 'One would like you to keep the placenta so one can feed it to one's corgi's" would be a prank (the kind of silly things that Jack the Lad does, which may make people look stupid, but wouldn't cost anyone their job).
-If successful, the best case scenario was that the nurse would be told off, the worst case scenario would have reasonably been thought to be that she would have been fired.
-This all could have been avoided if the nurse who answered the phone didn't connect the call. She believed it was the Queen and Prince Charles - if someone called you claiming to be to queen or prince charles, would you really believe it, or would you expect someone else to make calls for them?
-This also could have been avoided if the nurse who the call was patched to didn't reveal confidential information.
-There will likely have been at least conversations with management, if not formal disciplinary procedures,
-There would also be comments from others - if you were the nurse who gave out confidential information wouldn't you be pissed you were given a call you shouldn't have been? Lots of comments from people who were upset (look at all the people abusing the DJs, how many of them were directly affected? People like to get involved in these things)
-Suicide is rarely over just one thing, this may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but it wasn't the only thing
-How will the people posting criticisms and nasty comments on the DJs' facebook pages and twitter feeds feel if one of the DJs end up committing suicide?

I agree. It was a silly prank and I can't imagine how bad they will feel when they hear about this. Now they will have to face trial by media. I feel a bit sorry for them.
"Now they will have to face trial by media". WHAT?

The DJs are PART of the media. If they don't know the way their profession works, they shouldn't be in it.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Imagine the stress she must have been under for this to happen. She had two kids of her own too.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
For what it's worth, regarding blame and foresight, my opinion is:

-The "prank" was not so innocent because of the nature of the questions they asked when they got through. They may not have expected to get through, but if they didn't they would not have had a skit for the show, so it would be foolish to think they didn't want to get through and didn't prepare just in case. As I mentioned in the other thread 'One would like you to keep the placenta so one can feed it to one's corgi's" would be a prank (the kind of silly things that Jack the Lad does, which may make people look stupid, but wouldn't cost anyone their job).
-If successful, the best case scenario was that the nurse would be told off, the worst case scenario would have reasonably been thought to be that she would have been fired.
-This all could have been avoided if the nurse who answered the phone didn't connect the call. She believed it was the Queen and Prince Charles - if someone called you claiming to be to queen or prince charles, would you really believe it, or would you expect someone else to make calls for them?
-This also could have been avoided if the nurse who the call was patched to didn't reveal confidential information.
-There will likely have been at least conversations with management, if not formal disciplinary procedures,
-There would also be comments from others - if you were the nurse who gave out confidential information wouldn't you be pissed you were given a call you shouldn't have been? Lots of comments from people who were upset (look at all the people abusing the DJs, how many of them were directly affected? People like to get involved in these things)
-Suicide is rarely over just one thing, this may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but it wasn't the only thing
-How will the people posting criticisms and nasty comments on the DJs' facebook pages and twitter feeds feel if one of the DJs end up committing suicide?

I agree with virtually everything here particularly what the consequences may have been considered by the two DJs and as you say, if they thought they would get through then maybe the worse case could be a member of staff gets fired which itself isn't acceptable but they, and probably most people, wouldn't expect the nurse in question to feel so bad that she took the most extreme way out of her situation.

I think the hospital must bear the brunt of this as they should have had clear protocols in place for answering calls especially when they had such a high profile patient and you would have thought they would have had someone senior in management to field all calls relating to that patient.

By the way, shouldn't the mods merge the two threads on this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If 'Jack the Lad' had done this on Heart would we have laughed?
I guess there's a first time for everything.
But laughing at anything from 'Jack the knobjockey' isn't likely, any time soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here