Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoax nurse found dead

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Did they really expect to get through ??

Doubt it, especially with the grotesque impersonation, they expected some interaction with a nurse politely telling them to go away.

Their expectations were faulty. As was their preparation. They had an opportunity to plan for all eventualities and they didn't do so. Above all, though, it was in the subsequent discussions over whether to broadcast that the likely consequences should have been identified and been enough to prevent the go ahead.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I am struck by the continuous repetition by the DJs in the interviews about how 'no one could have foreseen...'

Actually, for someone who is prepared to do the thinking, it's not that hard to seen possible negative consequences for those nurses (disciplinary action and ridicule), the patient (having medical details disclosed), the hospital (loss of status as preferred hospital of the royals), the radio station (loss of their licence due to breaking the law and code of conduct).

Even without a suicide, all of this should have been enough to stop a radio station from going ahead with the broadcast. The problem seems to be that no one from 2Day Radio was relating to the prank as involving real people with real consequences to their lives. It was only when the female DJ asked 'was she a mother?' on hearing about the death that she got that she had been messing around with the lives of a real human being.

your last paragraph underlines the sickening naivety and immaturity of these "entertainment icons"........they are stuck up their own arses , big time.

the same ceo's are the ones who take up advertising contracts with all these erectile dysfunction treatments etc.( not a problem for me btw) it must be like someone smacking you on the back of the head when one of these assenine adverts comes on the radio ........particularly in an office or other mixed gender environment........they don't give a tuppenny f*** about the discomfort/embarrassment caused as long as the wonga goes in the bank every month.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think you have to take Prince Charles' reaction with a pinch of salt. He is an international figure and his comments could have wide reaching effects if he chooses the wrong ones. If he was to express anger at the hospital people could lose jobs for an innocent mistake, if he was to attack the DJs his words could be seen as interfering in the politics of Australia (as I gather media regulation is an issue there), and Australia as a country isn't the most enamoured with the Royal family as it is. He understand the far reaching implications of his words and has chosen to diplomatically try to ease things.

He could have done more. If he made the effort to get in contact with the nurses and let them know that he forgave them and had confidence in them and request the hospital not to discipline the nurses, it would have made a huge difference, I am sure. Even if it was not foreseen that the hoax would lead to suicide, this would have been a classy act that I would want from someone high up in a privileged position.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am struck by the continuous repetition by the DJs in the interviews about how 'no one could have foreseen...'

Actually, for someone who is prepared to do the thinking, it's not that hard to seen possible negative consequences for those nurses (disciplinary action and ridicule), the patient (having medical details disclosed), the hospital (loss of status as preferred hospital of the royals), the radio station (loss of their licence due to breaking the law and code of conduct).

Even without a suicide, all of this should have been enough to stop a radio station from going ahead with the broadcast. The problem seems to be that no one from 2Day Radio was relating to the prank as involving real people with real consequences to their lives. It was only when the female DJ asked 'was she a mother?' on hearing about the death that she got that she had been messing around with the lives of a real human being.

I totally agree. Moreover, clearly no one could have seen death as the final outcome, but it was quite likely if their call was taken seriously for any length of time - i.e. more than 10 seconds - there were going to be adverse consequences for someone.

Logic tells me the only possible reason you'd kill yourself over this incident is if the Royal Family themselves were pissed off with you personally, and you felt an overwhelming sense of shame and failure. I sincerely hope that wasn't the case.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Have I missed something,but suicide hasn't been confirmed yet has it?
Yes,I know it is the likely cause of death,but we don't know for certain yet(unless I've missed the news.)
After the post-mortem and dependent on the coroner's verdict,there may well be a few more questions raised.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I totally agree. Moreover, clearly no one could have seen death as the final outcome, but it was quite likely if their call was taken seriously for any length of time - i.e. more than 10 seconds - there were going to be adverse consequences for someone.

Logic tells me the only possible reason you'd kill yourself over this incident is if the Royal Family themselves were pissed off with you personally, and you felt an overwhelming sense of shame and failure. I sincerely hope that wasn't the case.

Obviously, I don't know for sure in this case. However, the more I find out about the religious and cultural background of the nurse, and what has been reported on what she was like (even taking into consideration the tendency of obituaries to eulogise) the more I get a sense that she was one of those people in life for whom service to other people in her working life was such a big part of her positive sense of herself and reason for living. When that was shattered so emphatically by the fact she felt she had let down a colleague and also a sick patient in her care, she could no longer be with herself.

Most of us would probably be more worried about self-preservation considerations such as being criticised, losing our jobs or the fact we were humiliated. However, it is plausible that it was the sense that she had dropped a colleague in it or failed to protect a patient in her care that were the most troubling aspects of the incident for her.

Such an explanation of her possible motivations and values would rather go against the other one put forward much earlier in this thread, that she was a secret depressive for whom any number of triggers (such as a parking ticket) could have tipped her over the edge. Such an explanation would also give credence to the possibility that a hoax in itself is enough to trigger a suicide for some people who aren't in a bad emotional place before the incident. I guess we may know more after the post-mortem.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He could have done more. If he made the effort to get in contact with the nurses and let them know that he forgave them and had confidence in them and request the hospital not to discipline the nurses, it would have made a huge difference, I am sure. Even if it was not foreseen that the hoax would lead to suicide, this would have been a classy act that I would want from someone high up in a privileged position.

According to reports, the royal family didn't make a complaint, and the hospital didn't discipline the nurses, so it's not like they were on her case.

Besides, that's presuming he did forgive them. Perhaps he was upset, but recognised, or was convinced by advisers, that getting a couple of nurses fired just before christmas, in this economy, when no major private information was released, would not sit well with 'the people' (some of whom still have their noses out of joint about him marrying someone after Diana), and so decided, while not to complain to the hospital, or publicly criticise anyone involved, neither would he call the nurse to comfort her.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ha, I refer you to my first line again,... no phone call, no death..... you are all over analyzing it,....

Refer you back to the first line my post that you quoted. For all you know she may have planned this several days before the phone call took place, you just don't know.

There is almost certainly not a hospital in this land that has a receptionist on duty 24 x 7. If you ring a hospital for updates on a patient after say 7pm ish, you will almost always get a nurse on the night shift.

Now you're making it up. Do you think that a hospital like the Royal Sussex will get a nurse to answer the phones. The Princess Royal Hospital don't get nurses to answer the phone out of hours, they have someone manning the switchboard. Can you explain why you would pay a qualified nurse

I have thought a bit, and I now conclude you are a class a fool,... they didnt speak to the Royal herself did they?.... hence the non-involvement of any of the official security team. There were many other patients and staff in that hospital, why would there be huge and expensive monitoring of all phone lines into a hospital?

You don't have to monitor all the phone lines, just the calls that come through switchboard. A trained receptionist would hopefully know the protocol for fielding calls about celebrity patients.

Exactly. People have been playing practical jokes on each other and having a laugh at other people's expense ever since the first caveman put on a sabre-toothed tiger skin, jumped out at his mate and went "Waaargh!" It was a tragic set of circumstances and the DJs are not to blame.

Out of interest, do we know if the caveman who suffered the prank died of heart attack?

Aaaahhh I see, so you are saying she is to blame for killing herself?

[this is my last post on this thread, I promise]

Whatever the events that lead someone to take their own life, the nature of suicide is that the person committing the act is the one who makes the final decision.

What a daft post, as for th bit I've highlighted, whether or not it defeats the purpose or not they ARE LEGALLY OBLIGED TO INFORM THE RECIPIENT THAT THEY ARE BEING RECORDED AND THEY ARE LEGALLY OBLIGED TO SEEK PERMISSION TO BROADCAST THE CALL. Stupid or not, it's not their decision to make.

I'm not querying the legality, just the practicalities of making a prank call. No radio/tv station can ever make a prank call ever again because you have to announce you are recording it for broadcast. Once you have done that, it is no longer a prank call but a staged bit of comedy as the person on the other end of the line is in on the gag. In this case, the real problem is the fact they broadcast the call not having got subsequent permission (they say they tried but if they didn't get through they should not have broadcast but that is down to the stations legal team who gave it the go ahead)

According to reports, the royal family didn't make a complaint, and the hospital didn't discipline the nurses, so it's not like they were on her case.

Besides, that's presuming he did forgive them. Perhaps he was upset, but recognised, or was convinced by advisers, that getting a couple of nurses fired just before christmas, in this economy, when no major private information was released, would not sit well with 'the people' (some of whom still have their noses out of joint about him marrying someone after Diana), and so decided, while not to complain to the hospital, or publicly criticise anyone involved, neither would he call the nurse to comfort her.

I hear what you're saying but those I know in the nursing profession are very sceptical that the hospital did not discipline the nurse who gave out the info as breach of confidentiality is an absolute no no. I've said on this thread before, the hospital adminstration are doing a very good PR job of avoiding any flack for this sad situation.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
Breaking News. Nurse Jucintha Sadanhas has turned up safe and well. In a phone call to the Australian Dj.s concerned she said. Beat that for a fuckin wind up, you cnuts !!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Breaking News. Nurse Jucintha Sadanhas has turned up safe and well. In a phone call to the Australian Dj.s concerned she said. Beat that for a fuckin wind up, you cnuts !!!

Brilliant! :clap:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Are you seriously suggesting you have such a grasp of all the factors that can surround the complexities of someone taking their own life, that you can logically draw an 'only possible reason'?

I find statements like this amazing I really do.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010

Overthinking. His flippant response was more probably the weight in which he regarded the whole affair, not like he's never heard of such japes I would imagine.
He wasn't too bothered and wasn't party to the controversy at home or abroad.
He's human after all, and not one for p/c living.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
In this politically correct situation we are shy to speak or think ill of the dead - but I put it to NSC;
Which act was the more irresponsible - the prank call for laughs on radio, or a parent of 2 with a caring family and husband leaving them with that finality?

Suicide is generally a selfish act, and this one was always bound to be somewhat resounding.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In this politically correct situation we are shy to speak or think ill of the dead - but I put it to NSC;
Which act was the more irresponsible - the prank call for laughs on radio, or a parent of 2 with a caring family and husband leaving them with that finality?

Suicide is generally a selfish act, and this one was always bound to be somewhat resounding.

What on earth has the prank call and aftermath got to do with political correctness?

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
What on earth has the prank call and aftermath got to do with political correctness?

Duh.
It's not that situation that has anything to do with political correctness, it's the unwillingness to question the act of the now dead person. You really are not SUPPOSED to reflect HER action in a bad light, are you.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Duh.
It's not that situation that has anything to do with political correctness, it's the unwillingness to question the act of the now dead person. You really are not SUPPOSED to reflect HER action in a bad light, are you.

It's not being politically correct, it's called having some empathy and a bit of f***ing tact. You don't know why she killed herself, if indeed that's what took place anymore than anyone else yet you feel it appropriate to label the woman selfish. Unbelievable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here