Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoax nurse found dead

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Prince Charles take on it.

PRINCE Charles has joked about a hoax call by two Australian radio hosts as his daughter-in-law Kate was discharged from a London hospital.

Speaking of the prospect of becoming a grandfather, Charles said he was "thrilled" about the news.

"It's a very nice thought to become a grandfather in my old age. I'm very glad my daughter-in-law is getting better, thank goodness," he said.

And Charles made light of the prank phone call made by radio hosts Mel Greig and Michael Christian where the pair pretended to be him and the Queen and managed to get through to Kate's hospital room where they were given details of her condition.

'How do you know I'm not a radio station?' the heir to the throne quipped as he spoke to reporters.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
ah exactly........massive over reaction all round........ although kyle sandilands is a top knotch fucktard....commercial radio in oz is basically out of control.......utter bollocks...!! feel sorry for the nurse but surely the whole thing could have been handled differently by the hospital.

I do see your point re the hospital giving out info, without having strict rules re this sort of thing.

However, once strict rules are applied....they are applied to everyone....not just the Royal family. I,m sure that most of us have at times, needed to telephone the hospitals enquiring after the health and well being of relatives and close friends. On the occaisions I have done this (and that is many, many times as I managed a Care home for the elderly) as soon as I have given my connection to the patient.....basic and often comforting information has been relayed to me...(ie.."slept well"..."peaceful night"..."yes, visiting will be fine" etc etc).I really dont want to see this privilege be taken away from so many by introducing draconian requirements and rules, just because a couple of thoughtless individuals dont care about consequences in their selfish desire to be 'popular'.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I think too much is being taken on this subject to be honest... these radio pranks have been going on for decades... not sure if anybody involved previously has taken their lives over it, so find the coverage is a bit over the top, mainly because our royal family is involved......its terrible this woman felt the need to take her life over the issue...but thats about it. I dont condemn the radio, or the DJ's over it, as previously, all sorts of people have been pranked similarly.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I see the radio station concerned allege they made "at least five attempts" to obtain the nurses permission to broadcast the telephone hoax. Clearly they failed....yet still went ahead with it.

yeah they are f***ed now ..have been proven to have broken the law and were both giving tearful interviews on the radio today...........maybe it will cause people to wake the f*** up and think about the results/outcomes of their actions ....doubt it though.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The silly thing is that the woman who actually took the call as far as I know hasn't had her name or picture publicized and remains pretty much unknown to everyone looking in.

The other woman could have remained even more anonymous if she'd done nothing so extreme.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What about all the people who use sarcasm out there? Are they now under notice that their style of humour may cause someone to feel belittled or ridiculed and potentially top themselves?

That's how pedantic the worlds getting.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
The silly thing is that the woman who actually took the call as far as I know hasn't had her name or picture publicized and remains pretty much unknown to everyone looking in.

The other woman could have remained even more anonymous if she'd done nothing so extreme.

All your previous talk of this nurse's stupidity misses a key point, she was only in the UK 10 years.............she may not be able to pick up on the different accents etc. It may seems stupid to you, but then getting a taxi home in Brighton is a lesson in patience these days with some drivers not having English as their first tongue. Entirely plausible Mrs Seldagho didnt get the obvious faux accents.

But what seems silly to me is that Australia is seemingly forever seeking to advance out of its colonial past into modernity, and yet culturally it chooses to use a archaic British institution like the Royal Family as a universal source of humour? Its hardly edgy is it..........at worst its straightforward bullying, lets face it they are a sitting duck of a target and wont bite back so nil comedy brownie points there; at best given you are half way round the world and in polar opposite timezones its just f***ing gormless.

If the DJ's want to make a statement they should be looking for targets with respect to your newer burgeoning eastern relationships, say like phoning up the Japanese Royal Family to see if they could prank them into making an apology for their county's record in WW2 or random Japanese citizens to check if they still believe the emprorer is a living God? Or maybe see if they can get through to the Chinese to find out why they have no women in their Politburo or if they still enjoy eating each other. Until this happens Australia will continue to look like an immature child unwilling to untie itself from the mother country's apron strings.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think too much is being taken on this subject to be honest... these radio pranks have been going on for decades... not sure if anybody involved previously has taken their lives over it, so find the coverage is a bit over the top, mainly because our royal family is involved......its terrible this woman felt the need to take her life over the issue...but thats about it. I dont condemn the radio, or the DJ's over it, as previously, all sorts of people have been pranked similarly.

No one of the parties involved is suggesting radio pranks be banned. It's very convenient for the radio station to try to frame the discussion as radio tradition vs censorship. The crux of the matter is around acting responsibly taking into consideration the consequences of actions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The woman who took her life comes from a culture where bringing shame on the family is a huge issue.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
All your previous talk of this nurse's stupidity misses a key point, she was only in the UK 10 years.............she may not be able to pick up on the different accents etc. It may seems stupid to you, but then getting a taxi home in Brighton is a lesson in patience these days with some drivers not having English as their first tongue. Entirely plausible Mrs Seldagho didnt get the obvious faux accents.

But what seems silly to me is that Australia is seemingly forever seeking to advance out of its colonial past into modernity, and yet culturally it chooses to use a archaic British institution like the Royal Family as a universal source of humour? Its hardly edgy is it..........at worst its straightforward bullying, lets face it they are a sitting duck of a target and wont bite back so nil comedy brownie points there; at best given you are half way round the world and in polar opposite timezones its just f***ing gormless.

If the DJ's want to make a statement they should be looking for targets with respect to your newer burgeoning eastern relationships, say like phoning up the Japanese Royal Family to see if they could prank them into making an apology for their county's record in WW2 or random Japanese citizens to check if they still believe the emprorer is a living God? Or maybe see if they can get through to the Chinese to find out why they have no women in their Politburo or if they still enjoy eating each other. Until this happens Australia will continue to look like an immature child unwilling to untie itself from the mother country's apron strings.

whatever.......you clearly have no idea what this part of the world is all about , perhaps steve wright could ring the germans and ask them to pay their gas bill oh ho ho ho ho not...!!.....we have had the republic/commonwealth referendum and chose to stay in the commonwealth.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I see the radio station concerned allege they made "at least five attempts" to obtain the nurses permission to broadcast the telephone hoax. Clearly they failed....yet still went ahead with it.

Pretty difficult to imagine that they would have expected to obtain permission isn't it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. The DJs don't deserve much sympathy but I note they said it was a "team" decision to make the call, the "team" also including the producers. They'll no doubt live to fight another day.
2. Pretty piss-poor decision to try and find humour in a situation where a young woman expecting her first child is in hospital.
3. Worst misspelling of a person's surname on a NSC thread since Kooshack signed.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
whatever.......you clearly have no idea what this part of the world is all about , perhaps steve wright could ring the germans and ask them to pay their gas bill oh ho ho ho ho not...!!.....we have had the republic/commonwealth referendum and chose to stay in the commonwealth.

Maybe my point was too subtle for you...............I honestly cant think even here any comedians/radio presenters would bother with this stunt, even the anti Royals. It is childish and puerile, just like phoning up the Germans about their gas bill. That's the point though, where's the comedy in this stunt.. I note one of them said in the interview today that they never thought it would get through to anyone...................so why bother then?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Pretty difficult to imagine that they would have expected to obtain permission isn't it.

The legal team would be expected to know the laws and regulations that govern the industry.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure there is any reason to slate our colonial convict cousins down under just because a couple of DJs made, what most would at first consider, a quite harmless prank. To bang on about them finding the royal family funny as being childish, well, surprise surprise, plenty of humour is. Hugh Dennis regularly puts on voices to ridicule the royals on Mock the Week. As for the comments about them advising the nurses that they are being recorded potentially for broadcast would defeat the purpose of that and any other prank call. Having said that, they should have edited the broadcast to exclude any comments made about the Duchess' condition and they will have to submit evidence that they did try to ring the hospital to get permission to broadcast from the nurses, who no doubt would have refused had they got the message.

Hospital still seem to be diverting attention quite successfully and maybe the reason the radio station couldn't get through is that the hospital don't actual employ receptionists!!!

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Not sure there is any reason to slate our colonial convict cousins down under just because a couple of DJs made, what most would at first consider, a quite harmless prank. To bang on about them finding the royal family funny as being childish, well, surprise surprise, plenty of humour is. Hugh Dennis regularly puts on voices to ridicule the royals on Mock the Week. As for the comments about them advising the nurses that they are being recorded potentially for broadcast would defeat the purpose of that and any other prank call. Having said that, they should have edited the broadcast to exclude any comments made about the Duchess' condition and they will have to submit evidence that they did try to ring the hospital to get permission to broadcast from the nurses, who no doubt would have refused had they got the message.

Hospital still seem to be diverting attention quite successfully and maybe the reason the radio station couldn't get through is that the hospital don't actual employ receptionists!!!

I have no beef with comedians or whoever taking the piss out of the Royals, it's been happening for years, it's not that original though.....Mike Yarwood may have got some laughs in the 70s, Spitting Image and Ben Elton in the 80s blah, blah, blah. It's this stunt.......what was going to be funny?

I could see it if they phoned the palace on say the wedding day this year to announce how Wills had got some bird up the stick or Kate or something like that.......still puerile but maybe a more original and less harmless prank.

This "prank" was without any comedic merit whatsoever.........unless I am missing something.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here